Notices

A tough night and a call for help

Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A tough night and a call for help

Hey everyone

So I've had a rough few days. Today my issue has been I've had to deal with people arguing about the amount they would get in my brothers will.

And I've tried, man how I've tried to understand, that these people have families and I understand that money just isn't money it is security, and it's houses and it's bills and it's food. I understand that.

But none of these people are exactly starving.

They're all middle-class, reasonably well off people.

So I'm angry.

I'm angry that they would put somebody's life in a monetary value and seem to care more about that money than the life of the person that died.

Yeah, it's flared my av voice up.

It's telling me to drink, that even if I drink I still won't be as bad as those people. I won't listen, but I won't deny It's tough.

Just a call out to my fellow troops in the trenches, that you guys are there, that you understand, that sometimes things suck, but that's ok because we have each other and if we can get through tonight we can get through tomorrow.

No relapse, no surrender.

Tom.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said to someone else this week people grieve in different ways Thomas - for some people it's too hard to focus on the loss so they focus on things instead.

Thats the intellectualising reasonable view...but yeah, it upsets me too - locusts is a word I've used before - so I absent myself from all that.

Maybe you should consider that too?

D
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Rise above it, Tom ! Let them have their squabbles and greed, they are only demeaning themselves. It doesn't impact how you feel and remember your brother which is most important. I would think of it as white noise to be ignored. Your av is trying to find an excuse, ignore it as well. Maybe try and take a break away from the madding crowd and go somewhere peaceful.

Stay strong Tom ! We've got you !
Old 10-24-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Thomas, Definatly there in the trenches with you your not alone

Your av will use anything so stay strong and yes that sucks sometimes but at least we are here able to talk like this and get through it together

Im sorry this is happening this happened when my mother died close to 5 years ago
Old 10-24-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Tom, we are here, night and day.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you should consider that too?

D[/QUOTE]

I'm trying, very, very hard. I have no nice words to say to these people, so I say as little as possible.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The only thing I know for sure is that drinking will not make this situation better.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

I'm with you there, Tom.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
The only thing I know for sure is that drinking will not make this situation better.
You are so right! You've got support here. Come here any time.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Like Kaneda said if it gets bad just get out of there. Sometimes a little peace and solitude is the best medicine.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Thomasthetank,

I saw some that myself when my mother passed away. It almost appeared as if my brother was was more concerned with his slice of the pie, than the passing of our mother. Although I never said anything, it changed things between us forever. To be honest, his actions disgusted me.
No relapse, no surrender
I'll second that!
Old 10-24-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your strength and determination is amazing, Tom. Big hugs
Old 10-24-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am in agreement with many previous voices - if the connective quality of this gathering is done and it has spiraled out into greed and division, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fleeing the scene. You made your appearance and were present with your family to share the experience of loss. Your own grief and closing of the relationship will be equally served out under a tree somewhere, far far away from the chaos place. Nature heals.

You don't need to understand why they are acting this way, and nor do you have to referee. You can leave now if that is what is best for you.

Reading your recent posts, I sense your growing exhaustion. Tired and angry is a dangerous place to stay.

Your brother likely would most care about your sobriety right now (if he is witnessing this frenzy).

Flee!, T-the-T, if that is what this requires.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
Tired and angry is a dangerous place to stay.

Your brother likely would most care about your sobriety right now (if he is witnessing this frenzy).

Flee!, T-the-T, if that is what this requires.
You're right, being tired and angry will only hurt me.

It's strange, to deal with these situations I try to imagine what my brother would have done.

I think what he would have done, is let them live their life in this shallow way and understand that money will not make them happy. They will defeat themselves. Ten pounds or a million pounds, it won't be enough. They're filling the void with the wrong thing.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

And Thomas there is an online meeting tonight if your still up in 40 mins in chat il be there
Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
And Thomas there is an online meeting tonight if your still up in 40 mins in chat il be there
If I'm awake, I'll be there.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You are right, they are filling a void with material things. You are filling the void by staying strong and inspiring others.

I'll be in chat meeting too, if you can join us.

Hang in friend!
Old 10-24-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

You can't control what they do but you can control your actions. Make sure you keep your side of the street clean by holding yourself to a higher moral standard.

You will never be sorry you did.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You are doing so well...I am sure your brother is proud of you.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Your fellow troops in the trenches are with you, Tom. What a painful time you've had. My thoughts stay with you and the loving memory in which you hold your brother.

I struggled over whether to say anything to you in response to your post. After all, I am not there and do not know your family.

My dad died, very unexpectedly, at the start of summer. Over the past six weeks, we -- my mother, my sole sibling and I -- made some decisions that have financial implications. I thought we were all on the same page.

Now, I learn my sibling thinks I have pushed my mother into a decision, possibly motivated by money -- hard to know but it seems to be "in the air." I don't know the reason for sure because nothing has been said directly to me. Nothing -- and I mean nothing -- could be further from the truth. My sibling treats me stonily, ice cold. It hurts me deeply and makes me feel very alone.

Resentments connected to the financial considerations that follow death can wound. I'm certainly on the receiving end of that right now. And I don't know when it's going to get better.

It may be that your family members are masking their grief with attention to practical matters at hand. Again, I don't know. But I do encourage you not to let this become an emotion that overshadows everything else and builds a wall between you and your family. In a time of pain and sorrow, it doesn't help.

My thoughts are with you. Take good care, Tom.