what should I do

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what should I do

I'm a wife of an alcoholic. My husband has been a drinker for many years. I've been supported of him cause he admitted he had a problem. He went to a clinic for a week. He had a drink yesterday. I don't what to do. He acts and talks like a child and hasn't looked for any meetings.

Jerseygirl48
Old 10-23-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you attend Alanon meetings yourself? If not, I'd strongly recommend it - what to do will soon become clear to you. And you'll retain your sanity in the process!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and a warm welcome to you. It sounds like he went to detox. Certainly that and actual recovery work are very very different. The best thing you can do is get out of his way, let him decide if he is going to recover, or not. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. I second, get yourself to Alanon or Celebrate Recovery or some sort of face to face support. Counseling with a counselor who specializes in helping families with addiction would be hugely helpful for you also.

There are three C's to remember. You did not cause this, you cannot control this, you cannot cure this. He has to want recovery and be able to work for it.

I hope you read here and keep posting. There is lots of great info in the stickies at the tops of the forum and in other posts that may resonate with you.