Finally, something that hit the nail on the head

Old 10-22-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally, something that hit the nail on the head

This is regarding the PTSD/trauma stuff I have from my FOO, bullying, and the abuse I endured while RAH was active. He knows I have PTSD, and knows I dissociate, but I've never seen it put in a way that hits the nail on the head and states in simple terms what I do through on a daily basis just for him to have a basic understanding.

Until last night. Do any of you watch, "The Walking Dead"? There was a scene in the last episode (we only watched it last night) where Rick and Carl are in the church and Rick says to Carl, "You are never safe. No matter how many people you have around you, no matter how clear the area looks, no matter what anyone says, you are not safe" And I just stated very plainly to RAH, "That is exactly how I feel all the time." And he was just silent and finally just said, "wow".

It made me sad though. This is such a horrendous way to live, with that loop being constantly, irrevocably played over and over and over.

On a funnier note, these "skills" as maladaptive as they are, would serve me immensely in a zombie apocalypse.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well Terp, at least you can laugh a bit. For all the hysteria on Ebola, perhaps something akin will roll around. Sometimes I read something or see something and there is a moment where I too see some sort of universal truth that my truth is not as disordered as I once thought. eHugs!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Terpgal, It's nice to know someone other than myself uses The Walking Dead to educate others on life with addiction.

I saw that scene. Yeah. Wow.

For all that I'd love to have you with me during a zombie apocalypse I really hate the thought of you living that day in and day out. Have you found anything to help break the cycle of that "loop"?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TerpGal....have you heard of EMDR for treating post traumatic disorders?

From what I have learned...it is growing in popularity and has been accepted as a valid and effective therapy by the American Psychiatric Association.

Maybe you could look into it--if you haven't, already. Everything I hear about it sounds very good!

I have heard that some VA hospitals have begun to use this technique.

What have you got to lose?

dandylion
Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post

From what I have learned...it is growing in popularity and has been accepted as a valid and effective therapy by the American Psychiatric Association.

Maybe you could look into it--if you haven't, already. Everything I hear about it sounds very good!

dandylion
Seconding this. I have a friend who has been using it for her PTSD and says it's been extremely helpful to her.

My AH has said exactly what you have said about himself. I never could understand it until I met people in Al Anon who said the same thing and were able to explain it to me better. So sorry that you live this way, I do hope that you find the help you need because I know you deserve it!! HUGS!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post

dandylion
I am actually with a new therapist (one of the only ones in the area that I live) that specializes in trauma and does EMDR. I am about to start it soon. She recommended it at our first session and tomorrow we are going to do a more detailed trauma history so she can figure out where to start with the EMDR. I am pretty excited to try it though.

There is another technique called Brainspotting for trauma that is proving to be very effective for trauma, if not moreso than EMDR. Issue is that its a very new technique and there are very few therapists trained on it.