Notices

Do you think alcoholism is a moral failure?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you think alcoholism is a moral failure?

My uber-religious brother thinks it is. He is very condemning of those who imbibe. I argued back that it is a disease and people should not be condemned for being sick. He thinks this is a lame excuse to drink.

What do you think?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not sure on alcohol but I think drug addiction is at least partially. I knew full well what I was doing and did it anyway. That was failure on my part to do the right thing and that is a moral issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Im sorry your brother sees it like that
Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

interesting question considering alcoholism and morality are both human created concepts with no solid definitions...It's like a double whammy of nonsense that you should disregard. really..total rubbish
Old 10-22-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why one drinks beyond normal will always be debated.

Is it a moral issue? Absolutely not.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

if i was in your shoes the next time your brother starts off on it again, just agree with him : ) it works wonders to let things go right over the top of our head, at the end of the day your not going to change him or his views so why waste a moment on it ? go and do something else that is more enjoyable
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

moral failure? no.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-22-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The last time I answered this question Dee invited me to reword my response. It was past the editable time frame so he just deleted it.

The allowable answer is:

No.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'd just like to take a moment to thank Dee. He's been a champ and appropriate in dealing with me.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't consider my alcoholism to be a moral issue. I do consider not addressing it for 30 years a moral issue or at least a responsibility issue.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Alcoholism is not a character defect. It's a disease.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to chime in here and hope I don't get too many tough responses from my post, but my answer is yes.

If you are an alcoholic and know you are someone who can't handle drinking "normally" and it reeks havoc on your own life and others yet you still continue to do it, then yes.

The point is I believe it becomes a moral failure once you realize that you have a problem and do nothing about it. Before that happens (admitting your an alcoholic), then no.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have to agree with desypete here.

I don't argue about moral issues with family if it is going to get heated - just not worth the aggravation. Every person has their own moral compass. Some are a bit further off North than others, IMO. And that's all it is, my opinion.

Your brother probably has a lot of um...different...ideas from yours. Amirite?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think Cecilia and Stang nailed it.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ask him if he has read this bit in his Bible??

“Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven"
Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I drank more then 99% of people. i knew what i was doing before i did it. like everyone does i didn't and I don't care what other people think about that. my morality is my own..not anybody else or any religious group or culture. The notion that every heavy drinker is ruining the lives of all these people around them..not so true for a lot of people..people could careless what i was doing..and my loved ones didn't even know..I probably kept one little liquor store afloat...it came down to physical health..thats all
Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ok, we can frame it that way. I, and everyone else who have chosen sobriety have repented. Praise Inanna!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
interesting question considering alcoholism and morality are both human created concepts with no solid definitions...It's like a double whammy of nonsense that you should disregard. really..total rubbish
Definition of alcoholism is pretty clear. Morality not so much
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think being judgemental is a moral failing.

I believe alcoholism/addiction is a complex physical and psychological issue, key word being Complex.

Denial is an aspect of the condition. It took me about ten years to fully realize I had something more going on than a rough patch. It took me longer to figure out what needed to be done. This is where the personal responsibility comes in, I think.

I suppose we could get into one of those dissections of the nature of Good and Evil. Right and Wrong. I'm just grateful I'm sober today.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This gets my blood boiling HOT---my son is one who believes it's a moral issue, choice, they should just get it together, etc.

I have a friend who is an amazing woman. Martha Stewart couldn't touch her talent. She is articulate, well-read, and beautiful. Yet she struggles heavily with alcohol. There's nothing wrong with her morals--she gives and loves with all she has. I can't imagine saying to her "you are making immoral choices" She would LOVE for it to be a choice she could take or leave, trust me.

Okay, rant over. People need to get off their high horse and look at their own stuff.

I could go on and talk about people's views on mental illness.....same stuff many times.