Notices

How long did insomnia last for you?

Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did insomnia last for you?

While is was detoxing off of alcohol I was given sleeping medication, which worked the first two days. Then the medication "kind of" helped slightly, getting at the maximum of 5 hours rest. Once returning home I went to the Dr. she said sleeping medication is not an option. I was recommended to drink warm milk and take a benadryl, it worked the first night fantastically. The next night I didn't sleep at all.

My job requires very little activity which I believe is part of the problem. The next day I decided to do a couple hours of working out a few hours before my normal bedtime. I opted to not take any medication but did drink a glass of warm milk while reading a book in the bed. I didn't fall asleep even after laying down for 1 1/2 hours before giving up.

I had no problems the next day (maybe a bit cloudy) but could perform my daily routine. I figured if I do they same workout,warm milk, I will definitely go to sleep since my body has to be ready to rest. Well, here I am not asleep once again! Then the light bulb went off! When I drank 98% of the time it was before I would go to sleep.

Having neglected to inform my Dr. or anyone else for that matter of when I would drink I will be calling my Dr. first thing in the morning. I am in no way asking anyone on this forum for medical advice as that would be foolish on my part. My question is when you quit drinking did you have insomnia? How long did it last?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Everybody is diffrent i had sleep problems before my alcoholism and still had it for a while after

some ppl are a few weeks some are a few months
Old 10-22-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It only lasted 3 or 4 days for me. I do know that if I exercise within a couple hours of going to bed, I will not sleep.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

First few weeks for me were tough for sleeping, but things adjusted in time.

I started to work in more exercise in the evenings, plenty of herbal teas and relaxing on the wind down to bedtime.

Hang in there!!
Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyones body reacts differently. I am at 106 days today and the past two nights were the first two consecutive nights of 8 hours each. I'm probably averaging 4 -5 hours per night since stopping. So much better than waking up hung over any day.

Melatonin is an all natural sleep aid that I hear helps. I might give that a try too.

Hang in there, it will get better with time.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, good news the dr says it's normal. Actually, I believe I was attempting to convince myself that I needed to drink in order to sleep. I slept a good 5 1/2 hours last night and think I will get even more sleep tonight. Alcohol definitely does a number on your body after you've broken up with her, she's a cruel mistress!
Old 10-23-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Three or four days. I'm only on day 7 this go-around but for the last few nights I've slept like a log. Much, much better than my after-drinking sleep, that's for sure.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Took me around a month to get a good sleeping pattern going. But I sleep pretty well most of the time now.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep much days 1-5. Day 6 to about 2 weeks slept but woke up a lot covered in sweat and had nightmares. After that, and for the last 5 months, I've slept like a big pile of rocks. I sleep the way I did when I was a kid, like 10 hours of solid sleep if I don't set the alarm. It's crazy and wonderful. All day I'm wide awake and on the go. When I go to bed, I read for 5 minutes, and I'm falling asleep.

Stick with your sobriety and soon you'll be enjoying sweet, restful sleep!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I take Melatonin before going to sleep. I had sleep problems before becoming an alcoholic as well, so I think a big part of my sleeping problems stems from the fact that I think (and I convince myself) that I am NOT going to be able to sleep if I just go to bed. I don't want to take prescription sleep medication nor over-the-counter sleeping pills, and it might just be psychological but melatonin seems to help me. Also, walking around during the day - just walk to the grocery store, running errands etc. - makes my body tired and when I'm tired, I sleep much better.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One time I was awake for 4 days after quitting. I never really 'slept' so to speak the last 6 years or so that I drank. At 11 days I'm doing good now. I've been lucky as the insomnia and anxiety leave me pretty quick after sobering up. Hang in there it will get better.