Notices

day one

Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day one

I decided today to stop drinking.

I've decided this many times before, only to change my mind after a day or a week of sobriety, sometimes only a few hours. But today I reached out to a friend in recovery, who gave me support and direction on how to proceed. For the first time, I allowed myself to be vulnerable and to admit I can't do it alone, not right now.

I'm terrified I'll mess this up, especially after openly admitting to a friend that I'm making this commitment. But I'm more terrified of never quitting and the kind of life that would entail. So here I am, self-conscious, scared, but desperate to be present in my own life again.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've made a wise decision. Quitting drinking is the best thing I've done for myself. My life is so much better sober. Yours can be too, if you want it bad enough.

I'm glad you joined us. There's lots of support here.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you littlelights.

I wish you well in your journey for a sober life.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome littlelights, your post indicates a giant step in the right direction and you've found a place here that's going to be a great tool for you. Read and post here often. I look forward to getting to know you more. Again welcome...
Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. This is my first attempt to involve other people in my recovery (to be somewhat public about it). After so many years spent hiding and denying that there's a problem at all, this feels...new. I'm hopeful.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So many are here that really know what that feels like (hiding, denying, etc.). I am one of them. Since finding this site on October 1, it has been the biggest help in my newfound sobriety. You'll find lots of wisdom from those with long term success and gain from other newbies too. You can do this!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good, good, good for you. It's a scary first step, we all know that here, but it's also so worth it. You can do this, you have us right here. Lots of good advice and experience on this site- you can do this!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Littlelights, remember this day! The beginning of your journey! Welcome.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Littlelights welcome ! I know how scary it is to admit, and to start opening up about something that is so confusing. You are among friends .
Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Welcome to SR littlelights, you'll find a lot of support here.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad you're with us littlelights. You found a great place where people truly understand.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm with you, littlelights. I am certain that you can do this, my friend.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it's a good step to verbalize it to a friend. I never ever ever said it out loud in public because then people would question me if (when) I started again. There would've been no more drinking in peace after that because I am one of those people that really does care what other people think, for better or for worse.

When I knew I was finally done this past June I did tell people I was no longer drinking. I didn't have a party to announce it. There was no ceremony or theatrics. No crying over a glass of wine and going on about how my life was hard and that's why I drank so much.

I stopped secretly and then when people asked I just said, calmly, "I don't drink anymore." I used to think it didn't matter if we told anyone or not but I've come to believe that it's an important step. It sure was for me. It made me more solid in my decision.

Day 1 is by far the worst day of sobriety. The second worst days are probably two or three weeks in when it hits you: I can't drink at this wedding? I can't drink after this b**** of a day at work? Insert whatever occasion would really call for a drink when you were still drinking.

I will say though that it feels so damn good to overcome the temptation and wake up the next morning without any regrets and no hangover. Each day gets a little easier.

I heard this saying and it's in my personal sobriety bible:

Three months is easier than three weeks. Three weeks is easier than three days. I might even add that sometimes three days is easier than three hours! The first few days were touch and go. Minute to minute but please, please take our words for it that it gets easier and better.

I was keenly aware that I didn't have a hangover today. When I walked out to my car on my lunch break I had a wow-I-don't-have-a-hangover moment. It felt like I was walking an inch above the ground. No headache, no dehydration, no panic. It just feels good to feel normal. It took a darn long time to get those moments but they do come.

You can do this. My one tip is to check in here many times during the day. I was reading posts on my lunch break on my phone. I couldn't have done it without the support and daily reminders from this site.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome littlelights

you're not alone here - there's a lot of support - you can do this

D
Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

All of us here have your back and you can count on us for support as we are all at some point in the recovery process. Kudos for taking your life back and ridding yourself of a pointless, destructive habit. God bless!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!