Does the guilt ever go?

Old 10-21-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does the guilt ever go?

11 days sober just wondering???
Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Guilt over how you behaved when drinking? It's early days yet, but the best amends you can make is to stay sober.

Imagine being sorry for the way you acted as drunk, and then going out and doing it again.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes the guilt goes away, i feel no more shame at how i lost my kids to social services care when i was a drunk, i feel not more shame for how i ended up in prison for my drunken ways

i have made my admends in life and carry on making my admends by simply not doing the things i used to do ie drink and cause mayhem

there is peace now in my life instead of chaos, i dont sit there worrying about things anymore
i had to learn how to do this and learn new ways, i had to stop reacting to things and take a few moments to think before i acted
i had to face problems and ask myself the question, is there anything i can do to change this ?
is the answer is yes there are things i can do then i must do them and not ignore them

but if the answer is no there is nothing i can do about it then i have to accept it and let it go
sounds easy but it takes a lot of time and practice and getting it wrong first over and over again until it starts to come as a natural thing

so yes the guilt goes the longer you are sober and living a new way of life the easyier things start to become
but if your sober and not living a good way of life then there will be no change, you can be just as unhappy sober and not drinking as drinking in many ways

but in early recovery its natural to feel so bad and low etc 11 days is way to early for the types of changes that need to follow

just stick with it and try to learn the art of letting things go

the aa serenity prayer sums it up for me i have to accept things i can not change, as i was always trying to change things to my way, and i couldnt accept things at all if it wasnt done my way
i also have to have the courage to change things that i can change, as most of the time i didnt what to change past behaviors as i was used to living that way so it was a battle

then comes the wisdom to know the difference and that really is amazing when i can now clearly see if i can change something or not and having that wisdom about it all

time is the key so give time time and learn along the way : )

good luck to you
Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovered

YEP! Guilt-free is awesome. I never have to feel that way ever again.