Notices

New here, like to introduce myself

Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, like to introduce myself

Hi all,

Im mrjustin

Ive been drinking to excess for about 10 years now im 36. I guess ive bin a functional alcoholic, I work etc but have morevthan my fair share of sickies and smelling like grog at work afraid if being found out. I'm drinking about 12 to 18 stubbies of heavy a night or 2 bottles of wine.
Lately ive had horid problems with anxiety when the alcohol wears off and im hungover the next day. I feel light headed, dry mouth, hearts racing, feel like I could pass out which leads me to think im dying of something and have a panic attack. I then drink to calm down and get rid ofvthat feeling. So im not being really functional anymore my wife is over me being not there for her and the kids. I spend way too much money we dontvhave very selfishly and feel **** for doing so.

I know I was the victim of a violent childhood, but I also know thatveven if thats contributed to why I drink I cant hide behind excuses. Been thinking about going to AA but bit unsure/ wary. Really keen to connect with others going throuhh the same thing. Im not sober yet but want to and dont want to do the whole "you can only quit if you have hit rock bottom thing". Id dont want itvto get to the point that I lose my family and job etc....
Old 10-21-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, mrjustin. This is a great place to find support. I don't go to AA but I am on here every day. Keep posting and reading the forums. You can do this.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is a great place to start your path to recovery. You don't have to hit rock bottom to make a decision to get sober. It's never too early, but if you wait too long it can be too late.

Try AA, post here, ask questions. Lots of good advice and support available here.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. From your post, it seems that you are already feeling the pain of hitting some sort of bottom if not rock bottom. Why wait till hitting rock bottom ? It is all relevant and progressive.. Keep reading and posting on SR..
Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nice to meet you Justin Welcome to SR
Old 10-21-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome, MrJustin ! You've found a good place to start ! There is lots of support and wisdom on here.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anxiety was killing me to before I quit, it take a week or to but your body and mind clear up and it will go away. You just gotta push your self to get to that point
Old 10-21-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I sure do feel alone and like im going crazy and that ill never be able to stop drinking at varying times. Anyone founf AA any good? Still feeling my way on this site where should I go next? Cheers
Old 10-21-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a look around take your time read and post
Old 10-21-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome mrjustin, I hope you find a way to quit drinking that works for you. There's an AA sub-forum on the main page that might be helpful too.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-step-support/

BTW, in my experience, there's not always a "rock bottom." Wasn't for me, anyhow. The goalposts kept moving, as I found ways to rationalise or minimize scores of shameful/embarrassing/dangerous situations I got myself into because of drinking. I wish I'd quit for good at 36! I'm 56 and still working on it...
Old 10-21-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome mrjustin

Here's what I found - you can quit any time you like, and whatever the reasons or factors that started you drinking in the first place, you can quit and remain sober - it's never too late to start a chapter two

If withdrawal is tough for you, you might like to consult a Dr tho - they may be able to help

I'm glad you found us - there's a ton of support here

D
Old 10-21-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi mrjustin

Welcome to SR. You decide what and when you hit bottom, when you've had enough.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The bottom discussion is interesting. What is the bottom if it's not where you currently are? You sound disappointed with yourself and ready to consider a change. You could wait until you hit your head on the mythical "rock" or you could start to make changes so that you avoid impact. This is a great place to find support and when your ready, SR will be here. Blessings.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Justin!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Justin. You'll find lots of support here!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support here.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with liz. we can pick our bottom. you paint an uncomfortable picture. all fixable at this point! good to have you.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Mr. Justin. I am only on week one right now, and let me tell you accepting I had to stop, and that there was never going to be a better time than now was very difficult. Like you, I have been drinking in excess for over a decade now. So far it's not a piece of cake, but the pride i'm feeling in myself already makes me wonder why I waited so long. I think it's important to feel ready. I'm only at 7 days today. 7 DAYS and I feel SO MUCH better about myself. This forum has been a wonderful support for me so far. All the support in the world to you !
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Justin,

Welcome and good luck! You don't have to go all the way to the "bottom". You can get off the elevator whenever you want! You can do this! Give AA a chance. Maybe just go to a few meetings and see what you think. They may help! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-21-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!