Notices

Constant relapses after 3 months

Old 10-20-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Constant relapses after 3 months

Hi, I'm Terry and alcoholic.
I'm new to this group and unfortunately I relaspsed after only 3 months sober for the fourth time. I always seem to hit the 12 week mark and then relapse again. I go to FTF meetings, have a daily programme, which I start each morning with Reading 2 pages of the BB, prayers, a brief overview of the step I'm on (currently four) and remind myself to use WADAT throughout the day. I finish with the Step 3 prayer and handover as best I can to God. I then look out for resentments as the crop up during the day, dishonesty, fear and selfishness. I must admit I do find it hard as my day is so busy at work and I forget to use WADAT and handover at times. I share at meetings and have just recently managed to get a sponsor. I'm concerned now because each relapse is getting heavier and taking longer to recover from, it is also much harder getting sober again
Old 10-20-2014, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Terry!!

For me adding more and more tools to the toolbox to finally crack things created some longer term results, we need to do what we need to do to make it happen.

You'll find loads of support here on SR to add to your existing recovery plan!!

You can do this!!
Old 10-20-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Got a BB sponsor?

With a good few years under them sobriety wise?
Old 10-20-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. This place is great. Just hang out and read. I think just doing that has helped me a lot. For me, there came a point where I had to make the decision to not pick up a bottle and drink the contents no matter what tools I had at my disposal.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Terry

Not to be a wise guy - but what are you doing when you get the urge to drink?

D
Old 10-20-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Terry,

Welcome!

I, also, wonder what is happening with you as you begin to drink? Can you find a way to work through the feelings that you are dealing with?

For me, balance has been very important in recovery. Do you do things that are fun? Do you walk/hike/bike-ride or anything that is enjoyable to you? Do you have a chance to take time to just relax and 'be' every once in awhile?
Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Have you by chance seen the yellow pamphlet titles,"A guide to the twelve steps of alcoholics anonymous?"under the 1st stepit says," without the first step there is no chance of recovery."
I agree with that statement. I dont think I had a chance without it.
You mention step 3 then jump to step 10.....how bout the 6 steps in between?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terry12 View Post
I'm concerned now because each relapse is getting heavier and taking longer to recover from, it is also much harder getting sober again
You remind me of me towards the end of my drinking days
Eventually we get sick of being sick and tired
My last drinks also brought legal problems
And family problems etc etc

Keep trying and don't give up

MM
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can really relate to this. I always seemed to have relapsed around the 30 day mark. Maybe something to do with my physical/mental health starting to return to normal and becoming complacent in my AA program thus relapsing.

I know, for me, I have to constantly stay busy in AA and make it the most important thing in my life. I wasn't one of those people who could just go to meetings every day and stay sober, I just wasn't. I had to jump right into the steps. I'm also on my fourth step!

Also, have you considered exercise or therapy? They say this a physical, mental, and spiritual disease and since AA deals with spirituality, why not work on your physical and mental well being and see if it helps?

Either way, good for you coming here and sharing. Best of luck.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here and in AA can help you stay sober for good.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Hi Terry. That 90 to 120 days time period was like wall for me, very very difficult to get past. I don't know why but I suspect it was partly a biological thing.

Three things I would recommend. First, examine what is going on just before you drink. Attempt to find a pattern. I believe there is a lesson in every relapse. Sometimes it takes some effort to see exactly what the mistake or problem was, but if you look you will find it. Next make a plan of action in the event you find yourself in the same situation in the future.

The other thing I found very useful was to concentrate on helping others. I distinctly remember the first time I made 4 months. I was completely baffled at this. "What's different this time?", I kept asking myself. The only thing I could come up with was much greater determination to help others.

All the best to you.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Terry.

I don't have much to add to what has already been said,but perhaps go back to Step 1.

Wishing you well.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Terry. I wouldn't consider 3 months "only" anything--it's not your long term goal, certainly, but it's definitely a good chunk of time. And if you seem to run up against the wall around that time every time, then you have a pattern to focus on. I agree with the others: it makes sense to really examine what's going on when you hit that spot (and leading up to that spot). Next time you're there you can arm yourself in advance with preventative measures. I completely know what you mean about each one getting harder. All the more motivation to make this one the last one. Pulling for you. . . .