Notices

Careers and overcoming the damage already done.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Careers and overcoming the damage already done.

I have been in recovery for 3 years now and having great difficulty finding any meaningful work beyond menial jobs that I take just to pay the bills. Before alcoholism took over, I worked in finance but I drank my way out of the job and many more after that.

I am sober now but the problem for me is that I can't pass a background check because of a DUI, a bankruptcy, and long gaps in my resume. I have no decent references anymore as the last 7-8 years of my working history are very spotty.

I have given up on any mid-size to large company hiring me because of the numerous red flags I raise. I have had 3 job offers rescinded since I got out of rehab due to my past and now that I am 38 yo, I am getting too old for entry-level positions.

Any advice from anyone out there who has successfully entered the work force after getting sober despite their checkered past? I feel a sense of hopelessness starting to eat away at me and I am worried about my future.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Can you stick at one of the menial jobs for a little while and get a solid reference from that? I think that would go a long way if someone sees these red flags but then most recently you have this reference that is a solid in your favor?
Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been in quite your shoes, but some thoughts that came up for me;

with a background in finance, have you considered getting into independent financial planning / financial advisory? Not sure what the requirements are for repping as a personal financial planner but maybe that could be a place to start?

how about looking at small business opportunities - dust off your financial hat and look around you - are there local businesses or smaller organizations that might need a bit of skilled financial help?

Consider volunteer work to get back in the game - are there any non-profits or volunteer organizations that could use some financial help where you could get yourself a foot in the door even pro-bono at first, to build up some momentum, references and recent experience?

How about something totally-unrelated; have you ever considered doing recovery work? Maybe you could get yourself credentialed to be a counselor. Here again, perhaps there is a local recovery center you could volunteer at. Get some references, get some experience, start understanding the skills and certifications you might need, turn something that personally impacted you into an avocation of doing something positive in the world.

Is there something you've always yearned to do with your life? Maybe this is a good time to think about that shift. Heck, if you're in a lull anyway what better time to reinvent than NOW!!! The sky is the limit.

"Too Late" - you say?

Not a chance. If you're still breathing it's not too late.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I may have mentioned this before, but you might seriously consider becoming self-employed. You have skills and education in finance, so you would need some assistance in 2 main areas: Business structure (LLC, sole proprietorship, etc.) and networking. If not in finance (I'm not sure how your bankruptcy would impact that), you can definitely do something at a professional level. A quick Google search turned up "Enterprise Toronto," I'm sure they have some level of free counseling and you could start something with little or no startup capital. Just a thought...good luck WL!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A change in careers most likely would work. The medical field is always hiring - we hear a lot about Doctor and Nurse shortages. Some medical professions only require a few courses. I don't believe having past credit problems or DUI would be an issue.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there keep trying im looking for work it will happen give it time
Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would also favor the volunteer idea. You have good skills to offer a volunteer organization and they, in turn, would be able to supply you with a good reference. You might even meet someone who could help you find a job in your field. And, of course, it would help you to feel better about yourself.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you decide to volunteer, I would recommend a program like this: Community Volunteer Income Tax Program in Canada | Canadian Personal Finance This is a great program in the US, and it may be almost as good in Canada.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I think I need a whole new career path. I have been out of the financial field for 8 years now and my certifications are all long expired. It was never something I was suited for. I guess I need something to be passionate about. I was miserable in my previous career.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sober you have options. Perhaps you need to do some soul searching and think about what you're passionate about and what's important to you. Not everyone is lucky enough to do work that they love but you should be able to find something fulfilling that you don't hate!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I haven't been in quite your shoes, but some thoughts that came up for me;

with a background in finance, have you considered getting into independent financial planning / financial advisory? Not sure what the requirements are for repping as a personal financial planner but maybe that could be a place to start?

how about looking at small business opportunities - dust off your financial hat and look around you - are there local businesses or smaller organizations that might need a bit of skilled financial help?

Consider volunteer work to get back in the game - are there any non-profits or volunteer organizations that could use some financial help where you could get yourself a foot in the door even pro-bono at first, to build up some momentum, references and recent experience?

How about something totally-unrelated; have you ever considered doing recovery work? Maybe you could get yourself credentialed to be a counselor. Here again, perhaps there is a local recovery center you could volunteer at. Get some references, get some experience, start understanding the skills and certifications you might need, turn something that personally impacted you into an avocation of doing something positive in the world.

Is there something you've always yearned to do with your life? Maybe this is a good time to think about that shift. Heck, if you're in a lull anyway what better time to reinvent than NOW!!! The sky is the limit.

"Too Late" - you say?

Not a chance. If you're still breathing it's not too late.

This!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great advice here. Good luck!
Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

I'm not sure how much my situation is comparable to yours, but like you I was too old for entry level jobs, so I've had to suck it up and move out into the middle of nowhere for a full-time position. And this really is the middle of nowhere.

Now I could dwell on the negatives, but I chose to be grateful instead. I see this as an awesome opportunity to hone the skills in my field and I've already accumulated a couple solid references which will serve me well when I'm ready to move back to an urban setting.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think I need a whole new career path. I have been out of the financial field for 8 years now and my certifications are all long expired. It was never something I was suited for. I guess I need something to be passionate about. I was miserable in my previous career.
i think you have your answer right there