interdiction in Virginia

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

interdiction in Virginia

hi all, Can someone give some incite on what a "interdiction is?" My exalgf is to be in court for this and I was asked to be in court for the state. Is this where they banthe sale of alcohol to her or what? please help!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've never heard of it, but a google search sounds like you're right. Seems they're going to "interdict" her regarding alcohol. That means she will be prohibited from purchasing alcohol.

Alcohol Interdiction List
Old 10-18-2014, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stoic

What..the..heck...this sounds hokey and completely unenforceable. They punish the SELLER, and not the buyer??

This is, like, "Co-Dependency for the State".

Not sure about anyone else here, but I've never heard of having to identify your name while purchasing alcohol...just your age. So what's to keep someone on this list from just going to literally any store that sells alcohol and getting the clerk in trouble for selling to them?

I sure hope there is more to this...
Old 10-18-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yeah, it sounds unenforceable to me, too. She could have someone else purchase the alcohol for her and then drink to her heart's content. It sounds like a silly law.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stoic

Ok, looked into it a little more, and it makes me even more angry. It's a city-by-city thing. You can look at the "poster" for the city of Winchester in the link that Suki provided. It's basically just tiny mugshots of 24 people in that city that are prohibited from buying booze.

I still don't get why it's THE CLERK's responsibility to make sure that they don't sell to them, based on some ragged mug shots? And if they make a mistake, the clerk gets charged with a crime? Complete BS!

Ugh, I need to go to bed, this is madness.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Stoic

You're absolutely right Suki. That law says nothing about giving alcohol to the person. It specifically states that it's illegal for booze to be sold to the person...it says nothing about a "gift" of alcohol.

Alcoholic gives a friend a "gift" of $20. Friend gives the alcoholic a "gift" of a bottle of vodka. No laws broken.

So. Stupid.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stoic

Ok, last post tonight, I promise.

Appears that possession of alcohol for the interdicted person is also illegal, and carries a Class 1 Misdemeanor charge. Woop-Tee-Doo. Neat in practice...but I sure haven't seen many people get sober simply because they were afraid of breaking the law.