Notices

Quick question, may seem silly but..

Old 10-18-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Quick question, may seem silly but..

When are you considered no longer in early sobriety? It seems like it could vary from person to person. I have a tattoo planned for myself when I hit 1 year sober but I do not want to get it at 1 yr if that too is considered early sobriety. Early sobriety kind of seems like probation so I want to get it when Im no longer on probation. lol. Course with this addiction that could mean years. lol
Old 10-18-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

i'm not sure. I remember one year as a major milestone- there is no doubt about that.

I have now come to regard the first five years as early- i know it sounds ridiculous. I am now 3.5 years sober- life is coming together, there has been personal growth in so many ways and areas of my life and I am starting to develop again and am ready to commit to my life in a new way. "Not drinking" is no longer a focus of my life.

I think a tattoo for one year is fitting if it is your thing. I bought myself a guitar for each year sober- not sure I will persist with that- it is an issue I have to resolve, but I think milestones need to be cherished and commemorated.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good question. Why is it that you want to wait to celebrate 1 year if that's still early sobriety? I think it's an anniversary worthy of marking. What is holding you back?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Thank you instant! I don't think its ridiculous to say 5 years is early. And good for you for your growth! I am really hoping that I will be there someday where its not about NOT drinking, its about what will I accomplish next.

I like the idea of a guitar each year. I love classical music and play the violin. YEARS ago I sold mine for drinking money..never really thought about maybe buying violins and fixing them back up as a gift to myself when hitting a milestone. Maybe I will do that with my 1 yr milestone and hold off on the tattoo. The phoenix I want is supposed to stand for rebirth, not sure if 1 year might be too soon for that.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just another day...

bookmaven, its just the tattoo that I want. I guess part of me thinks that if I get this tattoo as big as I'd like and so colorful that if I mess up then the tattoo will not have the same meaning. I have 2 tattoos right now and both have meaning to me. If I get one based on me beating out alcohol then fail, I don't know. It makes sense to me, I might not be getting out the right way for others to understand. Im not trying to prepare myself to fail..I have no intentions of failing. I just am wondering if 1 year is too soon for a tattoo that is representing me being "reborn"..does that make sense? It will be of a phoenix.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you could do your tattoo in stages, fill in a little more each year? Good idea about the violins. Reconnecting with our inner child, or the person we were before our addictions took over can be very therapeutic and empowering.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

For me this addiction is for life
Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Similar to you..I wanted a tattoo to mark my "life change". I also thought about sobriety jewelery...a commitment ring to myself. I actually haven't thought about those things for awhile....

I think maybe you should rely on your inner guidance system to let you know when "it's right".

Just my two pennies..
Old 10-18-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's all very subjective, I remember when I couldn't string 24hrs together, never mind a week or a month, breaking down the barriers to push beyond were serious milestones in my journey.

The journey though changes, it evolves, new challenges to overcome, it takes time to build a new lifestyle, new routines, feel comfortable with not drinking, experience a first Sober Xmas, a birthday, a New Years, a wedding, for me a Sober St Patrick's day was a huge milestone.

But I'm always reminded, that there is no point when this thing is finally cracked, stories of people having years of Sobriety but then having that one drink, that keeps me vigilant and non complacent about my Sobriety!!

Our journeys are all different, as Nuu mentioned, whenever you feel the time is right, then that's the moment to mark the milestone!!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Just another day...

I have always loved this one particular picture I saw of a phoenix. I wont get a tattoo because its pretty, it has to have meaning if Im putting something on my skin for life. So this tattoo I was thinking how great to have to show I am reborn away from alcohol. But then like sober wolf said, this addiction is something that will be with me for my entire life. I don't want to have a hiccup and then the tattoo be a lie, a lie Im stuck with forever. Thank you all for your input. This is helping me rethink ways to honor my milestones.

I guess it's safe to say that the early sobriety stage can mean just about any time frame depending on that particular person.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't think I'll ever feel completely safe as I've heard too many stories of relapses after years of happy sobriety.

To my mind a tattoo would be like saying 'job done, here is my reward'. OTOH it is a fantastic milestone, and if you want to mark it then you should.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I like the idea of jewelry, myself. Or maybe a piece of art. With a ring necklace, you could add a diamond each year you are sober.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm with those who endorse a subjective appraisal. Though I would also agree with those who believe that if you're still complaining about the things you were complaining about when you first got sober, and that those things are more or less under your control -- alone or with the help of others -- then you're still in early sobriety.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
I don't think I'll ever feel completely safe as I've heard too many stories of relapses after years of happy sobriety.

To my mind a tattoo would be like saying 'job done, here is my reward'. OTOH it is a fantastic milestone, and if you want to mark it then you should.
That is what I was starting to think...so many relapse..what if that happens to me. Plus like you said its like saying job done..but its never done with this. Its a work in progress for the rest of our lives. The tattoos I have now are for my husband and son. Now even with the tattoo for my husband I was leary...but I told my husband if he leaves me it is small enough that I can cover. lol He has my knickname on his arm along with our son and his oldest son and a very nice black and white portrait of his grandmother on his other arm. Tattoos are symbolic to us, they have meaning. So I am really rethinking this entire tattoo idea for any kind of milestone for sobriety.

Im really liking others ideas on here for marking the milestones tho.