Notices

The Letter

Old 10-18-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Letter

I received a letter in the mail today from my doctor who I saw maybe six months ago. The letter informed me that my BMI put me in to the obese category. Boom....there I went crashing from my happy place I was in earlier. I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago after seeing a picture of myself online. I gained a lot of weight during the end of my drinking and certainly in my sobriety. I've been figuring WW out again as I lost 35 pounds a number of years ago so I know I can do it.

I've been super fragile lately. My workplace is on strike and I've been out of work all week and negotiations are still not working out. No work = no paycheck. I've also been working on creating some healthy boundaries with my boyfriend and still adjusting to that and much more alone time.

Sooooooooooo......this all has left me with zip, nada, zero self-esteem. The old me wants to have a glass of wine but the recovering me knows that really isn't an option. I know my sobriety is what is really important in all of this and without it, all would be much worse. Just feeling super close to a case of the f-its and I don't want to get there. So I signed on to SR, cracked open a diet Pepsi, and will look for a good show on tv while I work on my crochet project or my laundry, or......but I will stay busy.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

C'mere. Kiss me on the lips. You have my all time favorite signature: "Not my circus. Not my monkeys." That's better than most things I can think of to say.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry you got that letter. Remember, drinking isn't going to make you feel any better, and it certainly isn't going to bring down your BMI.

The first thing you I would wonder why my doctor took so long to tell me my BMI. You could use your BMI as a starting point and an incentive to move it down to Overweight, then Normal. There are many BMI charts available online.

Good luck~ Stay sober and busy
Old 10-18-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, you're right, alcohol is not going to fix or solve any of those things!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you didn't drink.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you got bummed out by the letter from your dr.

I hope you can put a positive spin on this. You're working on your recovery, so now you can continue to work on your good health. Good for you for not drinking.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Big hugs, hunny bunny! Don't let that number derail you from the tracks.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hang in there SC. first things first - get your head straight, which you are doing. everything else will come as you work toward your goals. work toward it and keep strong. you can do it.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there you can do this
Old 10-18-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this. Not drinking will do wonders for your health. I am sorry you are upset about your letter but you could use it as an incentive to get healthy. Take care xx
Old 10-18-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SC - Please, please PLEASE do not get derailed by that letter. First of all, the whole BMI thing is a joke. They go by weight and height, right? No accounting for muscle mass. So, according to the formula they use, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sly Stalone are both obese. Rather short men with high weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, so there you go. Secondly, the issue about weight is not necessarily what you weigh but how it effects your numbers, i.e., cholesterol, blood pressure, glucose, etc. If those are OK, then there is not an issue medically at least.

But, then there is the self image issue. And that is not addressed by medical people. Drinking will not improve your self image. In fact, it will degrade it.

WW is great! I went years ago and lost weight. And they provide the support you need. Take care.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My drinking escalated so quickly towards the end before I got sober, I went into the obese category also.

It's fixable. Unlike some health conditions.

Getting sober makes us feel angry about lots of things that happened because of drinking. It's a dangerous knife edge, because it can lead us to say screw it and drink again.

Your post reads to me as full of that thinking.

Don't let your old thinking make you feel helpless - that is not the case.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That letter must have been disheartening, and I can't imagine how frustrating and worrisome the strike at work must be. But the way I see it - you're still sober, you lost 35 pounds once...and you know how to crochet! That's 3 superpowers!

Glad you are pressing on sober - you've got the tools to deal with the BMI thing in good time.

Earlyriser
Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago
Hmmmm....gosh look at you ALREADY attacking the problem doc identified! I'd give yourself a big ole loving pat on the back rather than the swift kick you seem to be grinding on.

Friend..I work in weight loss. 60% of the freaking North American population are overweight. And there are only a few BMI points between overweight and obese.

Be gentle with yourself. You are working on your STUFF. It's all the same bushel of sour apples we're talking here...

And the nasty stuff you're telling yourself is the very essence of why we pick up our crutches.

You ARE SPECTACULAR. You are sober and you are taking steps on the other. Give yourself a break for pete's sake.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Soberclover, I, too am all over the crocheting. So relaxing and productive, keeps the hands busy. I make afghans, mostly.

As far as work, it will work out some way. Sounds like it's out of your hands for now. I've been out of work since May but am going back next week. I've used the last 5 months in Sobriety to really focus on Sobriety and getting healthy. Exercise, AA, personal growth, and the rest is falling into place. So, maybe try not to fret too much over the not working, although I realize a paycheck is a paycheck. Focus on you. I'm rootin' for ya! We all are.

Bunnez