Notices

Thank You and a Question

Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You and a Question

First, let me say thank you to everyone who posts on this site. This site and its members have been an amazing help, thank you.

For my question, what do I do now? I am on day 20, and while the cravings are still strong they're lifting. The challenge is that with my desire to drink decreasing, my desire to pass time the old ways (TV, video games, napping) is too. Genuinely, TV is almost unpleasant at this point. Is this normal? What did you learn to do to fill the time? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to the posting side.

What have you always wanted to do? Learn to play guitar? Kayak? Explore caves? Learn Japanese? Go to a Star Trek convention? Comedy club? Roller Derby?

Surely there is a bucket list! Write 'em down and start through them.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR big welcome to the forum
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR!
You are in DC I see, I love that city. In my opinion it is a good city for all kinds of people. If you are an extrovert and enjoy the company of others I think you will easily find a lot of social groups and situations where you can be sober and among other people. I bet they have tons of groups that meet on the mall or in parks for frisbee golf, other athletic actives, maybe a book group or a cooking class/exchange.
It is also a good city for introverts, you could start ticking off the museums, there is everything there from art to history to science. Why not try a little bit of all of them? I've gone through phases in the past where I wanted to improve myself/expand my mind and tried to learn one new thing each day. I would make it a goal to read or study one random thing each day- things like how jellyfish propel themselves through the water, what exactly is PI and how is it relevant to everyday life, how to properly butcher a raw chicken, art rock and how the genre affected music as we know it today, the many symbolic clues found in the "Arnolfini Wedding Portrait" by Jan Van Eyck… you get the picture. HOW COOL to be surrounded by museums and libraries where you could do this in a much more interactive way?!
It sounds a little, uh, I dunno, dumb… But I found it to be quite a pleasant exercise and I did learn a lot. You never know when that kind of stuff is going to show up in a rousing game of trivial pursuit- hey, look at that, another possible sober activity!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

A very normal thing, I cut out drinking and discovered a whole lot of free time with not much to fill it with, but continuing on with the same routine and lifestyle minus alcohol would have been pretty boring for myself.

I had to sit down and work out with this second chance I'd been given, what did I now want to do in life? what did I get Sober for, if it was only to prolong my boring life? I had to figure out what I enjoyed, new activities, rekindle old hobbies/interests, think about new projects, things I wanted to do and achieve.

It'll take time to reshape a whole life, but with small steps it can be done, for example after my withdrawals faded away and I got some energy back I went out for a walk on a Sunday morning, it felt great, but I now do it every Sunday morning.

There's a big world out there, full of potential, and without alcohol, we can do whatever we want to do with our time!!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey NHTransplant, welcome! Nice job hitting the 20 day mark!
What did you learn to do to fill the time?
This can be one of the more difficult parts of refraining from drinking, especially if you're life more or less revolved around it, like mine did.

What I found to fill the void was exercise. I have the free time, so rather than lounging around with a cocktail all day, I re-discovered a popular trail near me and started running it almost daily. The hard cardio really helps me to relax and somewhat quashes the desire to drink.

I also discovered that the local library offers free DVDs to check out, so I spend some time watching movies and documentaries.

Once you find your new 'groove,' then I think the desire to drink will diminish as time goes on. When I first stopped, I was up-side-down. I had no idea what I wanted to do with the free time, but things started to fall into place.

Hope to see you in here often!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I am using my free time in the evening to decorate my house. I also read a lot more., and do a bit of yoga and meditation. Some great suggestions in the posts above
Old 10-18-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today there is the Adams Morgan PorchFest. Different music groups set up and perform on porches in the historic neighborhood. They list Jazz, Brazilian, Folk, Irish, Indie Rock and Egyptian Nubian (like, what?!). It is also listed as "family friendly" which is generally a good indicator of low alcohol content.
There are a couple of sporting events tonight, the Capitals are playing. What do they play? Baseball? Basketball? Who knows? Who CARES?! It's supporting the local team, right?
Not your thing? How about some art? At the Convention Center today they are offering free, curator-led tours of over 130 works of art, the largest public collection in DC. Free? Say no more!
There is an Spooky Movie International Horror Film Festival in Silver Spring tonight, just a short ride away, the subway (what do you call it there?) goes right there if I recall correctly.
Or, OR! An evening of Indian Dance! So random, bound to be so amazing too! It's at Wolf Trap though. A great thing about going to events far off that you have to drive to is that you can now safely return without risking your life, the lives of others or jail time. You are sober after all!

Or you could order chinese delivery, but shake it up a bit. Order the egg rolls from one place, the sesame chicken from another, the beef and broccoli from another and the fried rice from another. Then have a tasting and decide which place will be your new "go to" The only problem I foresee with that is if they have a minimum order for delivery….
You could do the same with pizza, order a pie form three different places and do a taste test. Save the leftovers for a lazy lunch tomorrow, or of course you could invite some friends so that you don't have leftovers.

Hope this helps, have a great weekend.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Congrats on nearly three weeks sober!

I use my spare time to walk my dogs or just care for my cats and dogs. I have to stay sober to take good care of them.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi NHTransplant

" What did you learn to do to fill the time? "

Ive had several serious attempts in the past at quiting.
one thing ive learnt above all else is its a great time to concentrate on my 'new' self while these thoughts are fresh for me during that new phase.

Water will always find its own level, and i think 'we' do too in life..

years ago i had lots of spare time while caring for a family member...
So i decided to learn how to touch type as a way of passing the time.
I downloaded a typing tutor, 30 day trial, promising myself i would do it for at least 5 times a day. Its was loads of fun trying to beat my own score
Needles to say i did it, and now ive got a cool skill to carry with me for the rest of my life.

I agree with all the other post's here as well. Try some new things
Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I've spent so much time looking inwards that I've kind of forgotten how many exciting, sober things are going on around me.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HI again NHTransplant

Mum once said to me
'It doesn't really matter what you do, so long as you have something to look forward to'

and she was right.. for me it doesn't have to be exploring the antartic or re-inventing the wheel.. just the simplest things work for me.. and creates positive thoughts
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read when I can, but otherwise I am focused on my family and being the best father and husband I can be.

I quit TV news and newspapers... Ignorance is bliss, that old saying never applied more accurately than to this recovered Alcoholic.

I drank to escape all the doom of the news. I can't help but think I watched it to justify a drink sometimes.

"Oh well, seems it war, famine and plague... I might as well die happy...... Glug Glug Glug "

Anyhoo... This question comes up on SR regularly and I know there are plenty of people who have solved their "what to do sober" stuff much better and more imaginatively than me.

I just wanted to chuck my 2 cents in about what I don't watch and read.

It has helped me a lot.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome NHTransplant! It's so nice to have you join us. 20 days is wonderful.

I felt very odd for a month or so after I got sober. You're learning to live in a whole new way. You'll adjust as you heal and mend from being foggy.
Old 10-18-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What you are finding was what I found too.

In the first days and weeks I had to be active and busy when not drinking, especially the evening.

In the past I would slob on the sofa, watch the soaps, be on my computer, generally just laze around while drinking.

When I stopped I either had to be working, sleeping or busy.
I also wanted to be out of the house too.
It didn't feel right watching Corrie without a drink of alcohol.
I felt uncomfortable, like I wanted to pace the floor.

Now I am better.
I can relax and watch television, read a magazine and drink tea and I'm okay with it.

It did make me realise how much time I wasted by drinking though.
As soon as I had my first drink, it was like game over for the day, No more jobs or anything got done.

It took me a few months to be able to sit and relax and do normal stuff without a drink.

Maybe take the time to get any jobs done that needs doing or go the gym or work on a project.

You won't always feel like this, it gets better.

I wish you the best xx
Old 10-19-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi NHTransplant, did you end up doing anything yesterday or just take it easy? Taking it easy is always a pretty decent option too…. Enjoy your Sunday.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

it starts wiht staying sober today

Originally Posted by NHTransplant View Post

The challenge is that with my desire to drink decreasing, my desire to pass time the old ways (TV, video games, napping) is too. Genuinely, TV is almost unpleasant at this point. Is this normal?
For most it takes a good while to get into a sober routine that is satisfying and for the most part fun. It's best when ones don't look for this with a constant wonder of -- where is it -- when will I get it -- will it ever be here ? Things all take time and most all will be fulfilled when we least expect it. That is kind of how life works at times.
MM
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

I know the feeling. Right now I'm making a list of the things I think I like to do sober, things I've done in the past when my drinking wasn't so heavy. Cooking was one, yoga, reading, hiking, it takes some real thinking to remember. And there are many new possibilities too. Just think what you can do with all that muscle coordination you have now.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

TV is unpleasant? YUP sober or drunk!!
Can relate to your struggle.
I "forced" myself to attend the gym on a schedule....this formed a new habit during this time you speak of.
Now, Since Im an addict- this is a good one!
Use this time to recreate the new you
Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NHT

I definitely found that what was ok for drinking me was not enough for sober me.

Like others have said I used my imagination a little and found a whole lot of things to do and try

The worlds your oyster really
D