Notices

Withdrawl and tooth pain?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawl and tooth pain?

Has anyone experienced tooth pain early into alcohol withdrawl? Long story short, I'm getting tooth pain and jaw pain especially after my normal drinking time each day.

I know alcohol masked lots of things, but I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're right that it could be something that you didn't notice when you were drinking.

Or, the jaw pain could be from stress.

For sure, if it continues, talk to your dentist, but hopefully it will clear up.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely had tooth pain after not drinking. Also had back pain, foot pain etc. They were certainly masked by booze. I feel much better now.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Could be from stress. I grind my teeth and clench my jaw in my sleep. Sometimes the noise of my teeth wakes me from sleep! I get tooth pain often but it's from too tight jaw muscles. Best though for you to see a dentist. That reminds me. I need to make an appointment.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

You're probably clenching your jaw. I do that when I'm stressed and usually don't even realize it. It gives me crazy tooth pain. Since about day 3, I've woken up every day with a terrible clenched back every morning and have to stretch it out. It's probably the same issue. Try stretching your jaw and massaging your jaw muscles, that might help.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I clench my jaw too. Hurts like the dickens. You might see your dentist about getting a night guard for your teeth. It helps so much!

take care!

Love from Lenina
Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with the other posts. I grind my teeth during sleep only when I am withdrawing. Never do it otherwise. I almost went to the dentist last time, but my teeth felt better after several days. Another "pro" to staying sober!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also was grinding my teeth intensely in early recovery. I guess I hold my stress in my jaw muscles, & all the booze relaxes the muscles to sleep.

I ordered a mouth guard on the Internet. You boil it to fit it to your teeth shape. I also went to a Rolfer, & he massaged/adjusted the inside of my mouth (kind of weird & intense, but I think it helped). Lots of self massage of my neck, jaw, & temples before I go to bed.

I think it is a combo of actual jaw tension & grinding (which is hard on the teeth; the jaw exerts a tremendous amount of pressure/strength) & being hyper-aware of all my aches & pains without daily anesthesia...
Old 10-18-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks you all SO MUCH!

Pretty much everyone saying the same thing: yes it happens and could be caused by jaw clenching...

Because of all the responses on here, I realized that I've been tensing my jaw up unconsciously for the last three days straight. I do wear a "front" nightguard at night because I've been diagnosed with night grinding. So maybe it's not adequate.

I looked up some jaw massages and they seemed to help.

THANK YOU ALL!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AlmA

I grinned my teeth...
and occasionally my hands shook out of the blue and had to hide them...
And horrible nightmaressssssssssssss I did not even want to sleep!
Blood pressure dropped to the floor I was collapsing...
But it all settles down
Old 10-18-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've noticed this myself. Thanks for posting about it. Good info here
Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm opposite of many people on here. I've been coping with bruxism (teeth grinding) since childhood. Broke two molars that way. I did it when I was drinking and not drinking. Withdrawal is not a factor. It's just that I notice it more now because I'm not anesthetized with alcohol and marijuana.