Notices

My First post - Relieved to be sober today

Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First post - Relieved to be sober today

HI everyone this is my first post on a forum site where i talk openly about me.
A quick bit about me.

I have been drinking for 20 years, and from the start it was almost immediately at dangerous levels of binge drinking through to full blown alcoholism in the last i guess 5 - 10 of those years till now.

My rock bottom was yet another drink driving charge (this time i really did a dandy) and i was nearly 3 times over the limit in black-out.. and i came a hairs breadth from going to jail and loosing the lot.
That is my career, house, my life and my own inner strength... I know that jail would have been.... well i dare not think about what could have been.
Im just simply grateful that no car accident happened. No one was hurt or maimed.. or perish the thought even worse... so an extreme sense of relief to say that i have definitely learnt my lesson finally.

Ive had 2 serious (6 month) attempts at sobriety in the past - through relationship failures etc and many many times i have stopped for short periods of time just hating the cycle of work/drunk/sickness/recover, only because i had to organize my drinking around life

I found SR very recently, quite by accident while doing a Dr Google on night sweats of all things .. and ive spent literally hours reading all the wonderful posts here and feel really blessed to have been a part of what is here.
So im very grateful for that as well.

I had a bit of an Ah-Ha moment recently reading about AVRT and it really got me thinking about what can i learn from that.

So my topic is in loose terms Decision Vs Desire.

For me the decision to stop has been made and i will not drink as i dont want to go to jail, as i know i will if i have one more drink.. that is soo blindingly clear to me know as im a classic alcoholic who every time i relapse it just gets worse and worse .. no question there.
Im 41 and my body cant handle the shock either each time i reintroduce that poison to it in such large quantities.
Then there is the desire.. that damn AV constantly urging me on with that lizard brain temptation.
and for me it's in-powering to be able to have that kind of self talk and say to that voice.. BS you have had your say... my mind is made up, now go away !
That's not to say im going to white knuckle it on my own.. oh no i definitely need my friends and family and the fellowship of AA and of course here at SR and everything i can do to take care of my self. - Gosh i do like to have that wonderful sober sleep..

anyway i do ramble on and i would love to hear others thoughts

Thanks for reading my post
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, lifenlove. And congrats on your decision. You're doing the right thing and you've come to the right place.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Welcome! I found SR by accident too. It was a good accident! I look forward to reading more of your posts!

I gave an actual voice and image for my AV and then one for my SV(sober voice) that battles my AV. SV is my zena warrior princess that has an irish accent and is tough as nails but still girly. AV is just one hot sweaty drunken mess and speaks slur. lol
Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi lifenlove, and welcome. Lots of help and experiences here as you mentioned you've read some.

On the AV , I'd like to mention it can be beat. I had a very loud one I gave into for years.

Now, I know how to deal with it if, on occasion, it rears its ugly head.
How about turning it around from ' I' will not drink because I don't want to go to jail'. To
' I do not drink' everything else will fall into place.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fiona630 View Post
Welcome! I found SR by accident too. It was a good accident! I look forward to reading more of your posts! I gave an actual voice and image for my AV and then one for my SV(sober voice) that battles my AV. SV is my zena warrior princess that has an irish accent and is tough as nails but still girly. AV is just one hot sweaty drunken mess and speaks slur. lol
lol I did too! It looks like the big hairy orange monster from Bugs Bunny surrounded by a dirt cloud like Pig Pen from Peanuts.

image-2597362492.jpg

My SR looks just like me only she has a pristine halo, unlike my own dented halo.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

' I do not drink' .. I like that better
Thanks Mags1
Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dr. Google brought me here as well. Thank goodness, right?!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I'm using RR and AVRT and am on day 10. Glad to have you with us!
Old 10-18-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Deaf to AV

Welcome lifenlove! I'm new here too and am happy to see other newbies joining this supportive group of people. SR has given me hope and strength to persevere.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks jshep for the welcome, really appreciated.
It does give me strength as well.
Especially to be able to say 'I will never drink again and I will never change my mind'

makes me wonder what's next.. with all this spare time and energy .. the options are boundless
Old 10-18-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 10-18-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome lifenlove, I'm new here too, 8 days sober now !! When you feel like a drink ,get on here and post. These people are amazing. I found this site by accident too, so glad I did . Look forward to your posts.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

"BS you have had your say... my mind is made up, now go away !"

Love this! Welcome, lifenlove.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum lifenlove!!
Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)