Notices

Please Allow Me to Re-introduce Myself

Old 10-17-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Please Allow Me to Re-introduce Myself

Hi all, my name is Casey. I first joined SR last summer and would like to become an active member again.

My drinking has gotten progressively worse over the last couple of months. I'm drinking cheaper and cheaper wine and more and more of it. I am most concerned with the fact that I have started drinking before I go into work in the evenings. (I work in a restaurant so work a lot of evening shifts. Though I think I am about to change to just day/afternoon work as part of my plan to stay sober.) So far, no one has said anything to me at work about my drinking but I absolutely know it has affected my job performance and attitude. I can't say that the drinking has affected my personal life much because I don't have one. When I'm not working, I'm usually at home alone. I moved to my current town about a year and a half ago and have only a couple of family members here and no friends.

I'm tired of this way of life and know that I want and deserve something better. I know that quitting drinking is not going to be the end-all, be-all answer to my life's problems, but it's the very necessary first step.

SR was a huge help to me last summer when I was at a very low point in my life. I regret turning away from it and look forward to contributing here on a daily basis.

I'm off work today. Going to cook myself a nice early lunch and then go to a noon AA meeting. My goal is to get at least one phone number at the meeting. I will also probably go to an eight pm meeting as well. I have the same goal for that meeting. I've been going to AA off and on for 12 years now and have NEVER asked for a phone number from someone, though of course others have offered theirs to me before. I think it's important that I take that step forward and actually ask someone for help this time instead of getting myself into a "poor, pitiful me, why is no one noticing I need help?" state of mind.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Low

Everything starts to get better once your sober. And I mean "sober", not just not drinking. And the things that don't seem to get better, at least we can work on them, not just drink over them and everything is guaranteed to stay the same. Your AA plan is spot on, stick with it, even if you don't like parts of it. I am sending you positive energy for you new life, it is a wonderful, worthwhile journey.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name".

Well..you don't have to guess. It's right there by my avatar.

Welcome. Sobriety. It's what they're serving here.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Casey
Old 10-17-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Casey -

I remember you....welcome back! If you feel like it, pop over and visit the July 2013 group. They'll be glad to hear from you. It won't matter that it's no longer you're sobriety date. It's not mine either.

NCG
Old 10-17-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good that you have a plan, Casey. I'm on a similar path as you...SR was really valuable to me in staying sober, but I too fell off the wagon and am just coming back here.
Going to an AA meeting later, first one in over a year.
Hang in there!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Casey...I love that you said that you have other issues to deal with. Lots of people fail at recovery because they think giving up alcohol or drugs will solve all their problems. It's a first, incredibly vital step, but further insight and change will make sobriety stick.

Welcome back!
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Casey; looking forward to getting to know you.

AA (and getting a few numbers) seems like a great idea. And, sticking close to SR; the great thing about SR is it is 24/7, 365, as you know.

Again, welcome back.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back Casey. Right here with ya.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Hi all, my name is Casey. I first joined SR last summer and would like to become an active member again.

My drinking has gotten progressively worse over the last couple of months. I'm drinking cheaper and cheaper wine and more and more of it. I am most concerned with the fact that I have started drinking before I go into work in the evenings. (I work in a restaurant so work a lot of evening shifts. Though I think I am about to change to just day/afternoon work as part of my plan to stay sober.) So far, no one has said anything to me at work about my drinking but I absolutely know it has affected my job performance and attitude. I can't say that the drinking has affected my personal life much because I don't have one. When I'm not working, I'm usually at home alone. I moved to my current town about a year and a half ago and have only a couple of family members here and no friends.

I'm tired of this way of life and know that I want and deserve something better. I know that quitting drinking is not going to be the end-all, be-all answer to my life's problems, but it's the very necessary first step.

SR was a huge help to me last summer when I was at a very low point in my life. I regret turning away from it and look forward to contributing here on a daily basis.

I'm off work today. Going to cook myself a nice early lunch and then go to a noon AA meeting. My goal is to get at least one phone number at the meeting. I will also probably go to an eight pm meeting as well. I have the same goal for that meeting. I've been going to AA off and on for 12 years now and have NEVER asked for a phone number from someone, though of course others have offered theirs to me before. I think it's important that I take that step forward and actually ask someone for help this time instead of getting myself into a "poor, pitiful me, why is no one noticing I need help?" state of mind.
YES asking for help is the key. My pride would never, ever allow me to do this until I was about to lose all the ones I loved in life. So glad I did!

Perhaps consider sharing today......briefly say what on your heart and state aloud - I need help from others. I could use some phone numbers of other members and a sponsor.........

That a huge step I know, buy maybe consider it!
Sounds like your ready to engage - Willingness is the key~!~

Awesome!
fly
Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Casey, good to meet you.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Casey,

I'm glad you're here again and trying again. We missed you in July 2013 class. Pop over and say hi!
I'm sure it must feel awful right now and I appreciate all too well how crushing loneliness is, but drinking only compounds the issue, doesn't it?
Hope you find some relief in your AA meetings.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Casey!!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Casey! Hope your noon meeting went well, and you got at least one #. Everyone here is rooting for you!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi! Glad you are back
Old 10-17-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey CaseyW-

Just wanted to say hello, and I hope to see you here often. Let's fight this fight and win!!!

Welcome back!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and kind words! Noon meeting was good. I did ask one man who I knew previously for his phone number after the meeting. I am going to go ahead and go to another meeting this evening. Anything just to stay out of my own head for a bit!

No cravings or thoughts of drinking today so far but I did just take a ridiculously-long (for me) nap. Guess I needed it.