Notices

OK now what?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OK now what?

I woke up this morning about 4 am. I do not want to drink or smoke pot anymore. I don't enjoy it, I can't afford it, so WTF?

I went to AA a year or more ago. I tried different locations, It's not for me.

I am powerless.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Welcome to SR and a big welcome to the forum

There is a lot of support on this website look around

nice to meet you
Old 10-17-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by fortheloveof View Post
I am powerless.
Powerless over drink and drugs. But not powerless over your own recovery!

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Hi fortheloveof

Welcome to SR. What now? Avoid your triggers, get rid of any booze you have at home and look after yourself.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fortheloveof View Post

I went to AA a year or more ago. I tried different locations, It's not for me

I am powerless.

Hi.
Most alcoholics are powerless also and accept it THEN work to put it in remission by not drinking.
How we go about this is a so called personal choice, remembering our choices so far didn’t work because many of us continued to want to do things their way.
I believe many ways to stop drinking will work IF we stick with them, believing in them and practice them on a daily basis continually.
Many fall back with the so called AV thinking which is our mortal enemy.

BE WELL
Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard

If you've decided AA's not for you, have you any ideas on what approach might be right for you?

D
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

back in the 1980's I went to acouple different sights and thought to myself what a bunch of drips.. and set a path for myself.. honestly I do have a drink once in a year.. and sleep like the dead.. find your path and hold true to it. for a Good Ship Sails with a Good Captian at the tiller.. prayers and a punch in the arm ardy...
Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello: don't let the fact that AA is not for you derail you. I hear that you don't want to drink or smoke pot anymore. Desire is the first step, now you need action. I do not attend AA but I have come up with other recovery methods. I use SR all the time. There is also AVRT and a bunch of other techniques. What o did when I first came here was read, read and then read. I tried to become as informed about it as I could. Reading about others really helped too.

You are NOT powerless but this will not just fall on your lap. You need to do the work. I assure you that we can help you by supporting you.

I wish you the best!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

there are rehabs, but also poverty, jail, hospitals, injury to brain, body and mind. AA hurts less than drinking is all.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are not powerless! You typed a post with a lot of heart and honesty. THAT takes more umph than borrowing money for a phantom emergency and going to the store (or weed guy), getting the dope, doing some on the way home w/out getting arrested, using visene and mouthwash for cover, getting to work late, lying again (or using the same one), performing like a mad person at work out of a deep seated guilt...only to get off work to RELAX with more dope/drink. I worked my ass off for my addiction and that took some mettle. You did too. Make it through the sickly detox (maybe see a doc) and on the other side is some debt and housecleaning (we need something to fill the time drinking) and 24/7 SR, SMART, AA, NA or gardening. Staying sober is really the easier, softer way.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi I'm reading Rational Recovery and using AVRT and it's really helped me. AA wasn't for me either. You can do this!