Notices

new to this

Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to this

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am a 38 year old mother from the UK.
IVe spent the last 7 years drinking between 1 to 2 bottles of wine per night plus beer as a top up.
I work, and have dragged myself in daily. I usually black out most nights at bed time and rememeber very little of my drunken nights. IVe somehow hidden it from friends and colleagues. Im utterly ashamed of my drinking. Ashamed that I get a rush of excitement around 2pm at thought of drinking sine. ASHAMED that I fell in the bathroom and needed 10 stitches in my knee and can't even remember falling. Ashamed I have high BP at such a young age.
Im only day 3 soba. Last night the anxiety was horrible. I had to feel my past rather than to block it out.
it became clear I drink in the ssme way my alcoholic father did. I believe I partly learned this behaviour and for the sake ofhmy children this cycle has to stop.

HELLO All! THank you for listening
Old 10-16-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome time.

You have come to the right place.

I too am a mother from the UK, and joined this site in March wanting to stop the destructive pattern I was living in, although my doc is cocaine.

Do you want to tell us more about your story? There are amazing people on here who will be able to share their stories and help you find your feet.

Keep posting and well done for taking th first step.

You cannot change your past, but you can change your future. So don't waste any time beating yourself up, it will only allow that shame to fester and grow which will in turn lead you back to drink.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!

I cried typing because Ive never really admitted it before. Over the decades Ive swapped one addiction for the other . From drugs to the more socially acceptable booze.
IVe woken tired but not hungover today. Feels good.
thanks for your kind words. Have a good day
Old 10-17-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
You took a big step in admitting you have a problem. It took me a long time, too.
I wanted to be like everyone else, go out and have fun drinking or drink alone at home watching TV or whatever. I thought that's what everyone did.
But things progressed to the point it wasn't fun any more. I was drinking to get drunk.
My consumption increased. I lost interest in things that didn't involve drinking.
I was blacking out all the time and finding myself in strange places and situations.

Then, I was living just to drink. It was a nightmare.
I hope you never reach the lows I did. And, yes, when I stopped my past came flooding back and I felt so ashamed and stupid for all I had done and become.
You've made a good start on day three. Just remember how drinking made you feel the next day and realize you never have to feel that way again.
Best to you. You're not alone here.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi time and welcome to SR.

I think a lot of us know exactly how you feel and that awful daily cycle of getting through a miserable day until drinking time in the evening.

It's a hard step but realising you have a problem is often a good step forward. In my brief glimpses of sobriety I've seen how much it has to offer, the misery of being hungover everyday really is no match for it.

You will find a lot of support here
Old 10-17-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR really nice to meet you
Old 10-17-2014, 02:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Time, welcome I'm a week sober now, after 20 years, it feels great. I'm a mum from UK too, with teenagers. Well done on your decision. You won't regret it x
Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Timetostop!!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi gang, if y'all haven't found it yet, there is a thread called 'class of October 2014'. It is designed for those of us choosing sobriety this month. Go have a look at the thread and join us. Another useful thread is a weekend thread hosted by some that have achieved longer term sobriety. It is designed to help us newbies get through the weekend.....generally a tough time early on. This weekend it's general theme is temptation season (holidays). It was started by weasel. Check it out and good luck.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on three days.You'll find lots of suppot and great advice here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! I'm a uk mum too, just at the end of day 9. Everyone here has been a huge support you are definitely in the right place I'm reading rational recovery and using AVRT which is working for me. Keep posting!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a ton of support here timetostop

welcome aboard

D