Notices

meditation

Old 10-16-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meditation

I went over step 2 with my sponsor today and he gave me my assignment for step 3. I decided before I "turn my will and my life over" I need to start developing a relationship with something greater than me. So I started to meditate again as of today. I really try to focus on subjects such as love and understanding and acceptance to use as my higher power. I always feel at peace afterwards and think it can be a good alternative to the traditional "on-your-knees" prayer.

Anyone else use meditation as a tool in sobriety? (With or without the steps) what has your experience been like?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I have used meditation for years, sometimes more than others, but it's always there. I think that meditation brings the stillness that we need to connect with our spiritual self.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you read the 12 step buddhist (Darren Little John). I used that a lot at the beginning because I am no longer of Judeo Christian belief that God is "other" out there somewhere so therefore the steps mean something different to me. Meditation is key to begin to be aware of source within. It leads us to accept and love ourselves, forgive ourselves and therefore become one with the great source (whatever name you want to give it). Meditation leads to having gentle, kind and unconditional regard towards ourselves no matter what our circumstances may have been in the past.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been using it everyday for a few weeks now. It's helping! It centers me. Some days I go for 5 mins, and some days 30 minutes. I use my smartphone and an app called Insight Timer. It's a global community of meditators. I look forward to my meditation time every day.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by audra View Post
Have you read the 12 step buddhist (Darren Little John). I used that a lot at the beginning because I am no longer of Judeo Christian belief that God is "other" out there somewhere so therefore the steps mean something different to me. Meditation is key to begin to be aware of source within. It leads us to accept and love ourselves, forgive ourselves and therefore become one with the great source (whatever name you want to give it). Meditation leads to having gentle, kind and unconditional regard towards ourselves no matter what our circumstances may have been in the past.
I have not read that but maybe I'll check it out. I do have a book on Buddhism and also a book on chakras which I'm going to start reading. I really have no set belief. My understanding of spirituality is so complex that it can't adequately be explained in words which is cool because it's like my own little thing to rely on.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. I sit twice daily. Soto Zen branch of Buddhism is my primary study but contemporary writings from Theravedan Monks are what I read for inspiration. Works well for me as a non-theist and gels well with AA principals- minus a god.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I need to... I wake up and will think about it and then it gets away from me. Any advice?
Old 10-16-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tamerua, if you have a smartphone get the Insight Timer app. It really helps to be in a community where others are meditating. There are groups you can join too. Depending on your interests and the types of meditation you'd like to explore.

Also, this is a classic and a great place to start: Mindfulness in Plain English

I've just signed up for an online meditation course and will start in a few days. It's a guided/structured course. So I am not sure what I'm in for, but it's sure to be a learning experience
Old 10-16-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Mindfulness of breath, or awareness of breath. Google those words, then go from there. Meditation need not be spiritual or transformative or anything at all, but simply turning your mind's focus to awareness of the present. The present means what you are experiencing right now from your five senses, each in turn, and what you are thinking. It is about observing your thoughts and experiencing them, but removing yourself from them. When the monkey chatter, the thoughts about what has happened and what has yet to happen, starts up again, observe the thought but don't get pulled into it. Then, return your mind back to your breath.

For me, it is like a vacation, and I can do it anytime I have even thirty seconds. The benefit comes not from how long I can maintain my focus without interrupting myself with monkey thoughts, but from the acceptance I generate when I lose focus, and return back to breath. I learn to accept these thoughts so that they can come and go without any conscious action from me.

I see this as a great companion to AVRT which is about awareness and recognition of drinking thoughts without requiring anything but acceptance.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I attempt to meditate every morning, yes. Without fail , it slows the world down and provides clarity of thougt. I use various passage meditation.

I have built up to about 15 minutes. I was warned anything over 30 minutes for newbies can be detremental and ill advised. I believe this. When it gets deep , seeing fireworks is interesting but becomes a distraction and not the point.

If I lose focus, I simply say comeback....it doesn't scold and keeps my mind from wondering.

I generally use the third step prayer and prayer of st Francis.
Timeless Wisdom is a book I read.

Very much a beginner.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I heard about a meditation site from Nuudawn called Headspace -I love it. There is a free ap with 10 free guided meditations, then you can subscribe.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I looked at Headspace and still prefer Insight Timer. There are several guided meditations there too, and it's free. I think there's an upgrade version but I'm not even sure what the difference is yet.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like Insight Timer, too. The upgrade simply allows one to choose from more singing bowls, deeper tones. There is a journal. And statistics page.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool - I'll check out insight timer. Never heard of it. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Jake ,
I found this interesting , maybe you would too :-

Thich Nhat Hanh on Buddhism - YouTube

Be Your Own Therapist - YouTube
Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

As far as I know, the oldest known text involving meditation is called "The Secret of the Golden Flower". It was written about 3,500 to 4,000 years ago. It was only first translated into English just over 80 years ago.

C.G. Jung's commentary on the document is fascinating.

Here is a link to both for those interested.
https://archive.org/details/TheSecre...elmAndCarlJung
Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Meditation is part of my sobriety routine as well & I'm interested in doing a Vipassana retreat sometime over the next year. Every time I try to find one they are fully booked, so it seems you have to plan way in advance. I have a few friends who've done it, & I once saw a lecture by a psychiatrist who was describing Vipassana's effects on the brain. Really interesting stuff.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

i meditate