Notices

Day 8! The beast is asleep??!!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8! The beast is asleep??!!

Morning everyone!
Day 8 here in uk and the beast is quiet. I'm re-reading rational recovery and made my big plan a couple of days ago (I will never drink again and I will never change my mind).

Went to supermarket yesterday and wasn't even bothered about the wine aisle. Went to lunch with a friend and didn't even look at alcoholic drinks on the menu.

I'm very aware that last time I fell on day 9 so I'm not sure if my beast is trying to lull me into a false sense of security!

Anyone else use RR and AVRT?

Also, do you view your beast as a real thing, do you picture in your mind what it looks like? Do you name it? Just interested
Old 10-15-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the idea is to not have a relationship with your Beast at all, Maisy.

According to AVRT it's just 'an animal desire for addictive pleasures'.
It wants you dead.

It's not a friend or a pet, y'know?

Other AVRTers will know better than I do

D
Old 10-15-2014, 11:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lol thank you Dee I was thinking more along the lines of a demon or a monster than a friend or pet
Old 10-15-2014, 11:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Mavis,

I don't 'use/follow' AVRT but do have an AV. I don't allow it out of it's box, it's very quiet these days.

day 8! keep counting
Old 10-16-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't trying to be funny...just the examples that came to me

Anyway, as I understand it, the point is to learn to recognise the Beast voice,not to humanise it or become attached to it in any way

D
Old 10-16-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Mavis

day 8 is awesome
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm an AVRT guy. I absolutely view The Beast as real, although it's kind of a metaphor. The Beast/AV is that part that craves pleasure but has not concept of consequences. It wants what it wants and doesn't care that what it wants will kill me/it both.

We will always have a "relationship" to the Beast, and it will never die so long as we live. In small doses it serves a purpose and has existed alongside us since the beginning. But the relationship has to be master and slave with us being the master and the Beast being the slave. It can't be allowed to call the shots.

Just as muscle grow when we use them, the reverse is true. When we exercise control over the Beast it gets weaker and weaker. It will always be dangerous though so you have to be careful.

Lastly, not only does the Beast get weaker starving in its cage, your higher mind gets stronger. In the beginning your Beast voice sounds identical to "you", that is to say you mistake what it wants for what you want. As you practice AVRT though it gets easier and easier to recognize the Beast as a distinct voice. Once you recognize it it's a lot easier to ignore/counter.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 8! Well done! I am on day 14 here and I am not hearing anything from my AV! I view it as a demon and I think it would be a lot more active if I want at AA! I am at my 3rd AA meeting tonight and its amazing how excited I am to go. I just love how it makes me feel. I may be ready to do my share soon too!

Mavis, whatever works for you, just keep going its a great acheivment!
Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome on 8 days, Mavis! Way to go! I haven't read much on AVRT, but I'm intrigued by the concept. Keep doing whatever you're doing.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great stuff Mavis!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

So good to know you're doing well, Mavis. I've read a lot about Rational Recovery and found it really helpful
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

WTG, Mavis!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Really well done on Day 8 Mavis! I'm on Day 7 myself, and I'm going for the AVRT route too. I haven't heard much from my AV for the last few days, but like you say, that doesn't mean it won't be back. It's strange having to be on red alert for a voice in your head! It's been quite a revelation to me that my AV is not, in fact, 'me', and doesn't represent my best interests. I don't really picture it visually (I quite like beasts - as in wild animals - so I don't think of it in those terms), but I have been known to hurl a few choice swear words in its direction whenever it pipes up. It sounds like me, it uses my internal voice, it knows how I'm feeling, but it's not me. I suppose it's like a vampire in that sense. Wishing you lots of luck with the journey ahead
Old 10-16-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to be, Mavis! Eight days is awesome.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

once i woke up and the beast was in my bed
Old 10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't know that I had an AV until I read about the concept on this site. It makes total sense and now I recognize when it tries to convince me to have a drink. I don't have a mental picture or name for it but I like to compared it to the little devil and angel on your shoulders like in the cartoons. The AV is the devil whispering in your ear telling you its OK and no harm will come if you drink again and the angel is the voice of reason.

Awesomeness on day 8 !! Keep it up Mavis.