Notices

fresh start?

Old 10-15-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fresh start?

I have been around here before, with several attempts at sobriety. I have not had any real crisis or terrible event that brings me here today, but have realized that this is progressive and am afraid I may never be able to stop. I love wine, and I drink in the evenings. I will declare, "enough" only to find myself having wine, always in the evening, within a few days, then I am back at near daily, if not daily. At least a bottle, often more, or topped off with a beer or two, if I only bought one bottle. So, I see any attempt to limit myself these days is an utter failure.

Today is day 2 and I have not had more than a month sober in a few years. Typically I go a few days and am back at it. WTF??

It makes me feel so weak and wishy washy. And that is not typically me.

I feel like I need a fresh start, because I hate seeing how long the old me has been here, failing.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is not an easy task. But admitting to the addiction and making steps and plans on how to gain your life back is the right direction. I am only 17 days sober, but each day gets a little easier, and I get a little bit more of "me" back each day, so it is worth the work. I wish you well in your recovery. SR has been a big part of my process. If you think you can do it, you probably can...
Old 10-15-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad your here back, Welcome!

It is a process - readiness, acceptance and willingness are the keys that unlocks the door to sobriety!

Come on in........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
open gate.jpg (11.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-15-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can do it Phoebe.

glad you are back.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nmd

welcome! Your drinking sounds like how mine was, you can do it!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. When I last drank, Monday night, it was so meh. I don't even know why I bothered. Just a habit to grab it if it is there, and there will always be at least beer in the house. My spouse drinks it and has it around. We had enetertained on Sunday, and it was around, the leftover wine. So, of course I just get into it each night until it is gone. But, it isn't even fun or exciting anymore. Just a waste of time.

Easy first step: No more wine in the house.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Phoebe, welcome back! I can so relate to the "meh" feeling of drinking. I was sober for a couple of weeks and then drank again for a week, and it was so boring and worthless. I am on Day 2 again, and I know we can do this together. Please keep posting and hang in there.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck keep trying if you really want it youl get there
Old 10-15-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
I feel like I need a fresh start, because I hate seeing how long the old me has been here, learning.
Welcome back! Fixed your post!
Old 10-15-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back, phoebe. Glad to hear that you are ready to give sobriety another try.

Wine was my poison, too; wine felt so benign in the beginning but quickly lost its "innocence" and became very problematic. The good news is that you CAN live without it and live happily and well!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to see you Phoebe.

I can relate to how you're feeling right now. I've been there many times, but unfortunately I didn't reach out for help or admit I was becoming dependent on it. You've realized this and are taking action - that's great. Stay with us and keep talking We'll help.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ultimately, I always gain some weight when I have been on a binge of daily or near daily drinking and get disgusted with myself. I also recognize it causes depression, or worsens perhpas a baseline of it that I have, as well as creates anxiety.

I so clearly recognize all of these things are better if I do not drink. But after anytime sober, I think I miss it and end up trying, "just one Friday night." Or, this summer, my big downfall, which has rolled right into the fall was, "just on vacation." No control.

It really is just easier not to drink, than to try to drink responsibly. And with a teenager, I need to set a good example. My teen only so far equates it with overeating sort of indulgence, and does not seem to reconize the total dysfunction. So, I seem to have time to create a better example. I also have a younger child.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Phoebe!! You can do this!!
Old 10-15-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi! I was drinking 1-2 bottles of wine a night at my worst. And not even enjoying it. You can do this! Just keep posting when you feel a wobble
Old 10-15-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcoem back Phoebe

do you have a plan?

D
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh I have had plenty of fabulous plans, Dee. what I need to do for this plan, is to follow through on the plan(s). Not drink, exercise daily, which helps me to not drink, eat well, keep busy, and get good rest. Rinse repeat. Re-read all my recovery books. Stay in touch and accountable for my actions.

Day 3.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I also drank wine, and had similar feelings. Not perfect yet, but getting there. You will find much help here. Welcome.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to Day 3, Phoebe! I am right there with you!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Know the feeling well. I really believe, after almost five months sober, that it was habitual and getting out of that pattern was all it took. I was so used to drinking. Now I'm not, so I don't think about alcohol anymore. We are habitual creatures and sobriety becomes habit if we persevere.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

yeah Phoebe I devised so many plans over the years, and never implemented them...

Glad you're working on it - congrats on day 3

D