Notices

Anxiety at work!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Anxiety at work!

Hi guys,

How did you guys deal when you got anxiety at the workplace? I recently started a new job with a bunch of younger guys and my old work place was quieter not as big and only had like 5 people (who were mostly older) and it didn't seem as bad.

This new job is a big warehouse with a lot of hustle n bustle and loads more people. Also the people being younger are a bit more standoffish wether due to them or me (I don't know) and sometimes I can get mild anxiety panics where in my head I think something is wrong or I'm doing something wrong.

How did you guys cope? Ive had 2 days off from my binge weekend and determined to not do it again and todays my first day back. No doubt there gonna ask questions of why I was sick (I had the flu)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Drnknz,

When I was two days from my last drink I felt like I could jump out of my skin at any moment. I don't know about you, but going to work after I stopped drinking was no worse than every single day going to work with a hangover when I also felt like I might jump out of my skin. I think I muscled through and coped til I could drink that night because if I couldn't cope, than that might mean I had to stop drinking. If you were a nightly drinker and withdraw during the day, jittery anxiety was a part of every day at work just as much as your lunch break or clocking out at the end of the day.

I guess for me, when I stopped drinking, I thought I was all of a sudden experiencing terrible anxiety when in reality I had felt that jittery for quite some time. The only difference was that I could no longer numb myself at the end of the day, which I guess caused some more panic to a certain extent. But when I was a pro at this point at getting through the work day when I thought my head might explode so I just had to keep on pushing through.

You're used up your sick days so you've gotta pull through. When I was at work and feeling like I might have a heart attack I would just count the minutes until breaks in the day when I could drive around in my car and listen to music. Just physically leaving the building was a huge relief. I remember once I got to work and I couldn't concentrate long enough to read a paragraph on the computer screen. I had to keep getting up to pace around and breath. I felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack, panic attack, and nervous breakdown all at once. How did I make it through the day? Not sure, really. Just tried to breathe and put on a fake smile and nod when people talked to me. I was faking, always faking. This was this past spring when it was the worst and I stopped in June. Now, I feel like a completely different person at work. I'm alert and present with no more anxiety than your average person.

Unless you are going through some serious withdrawals, you'll be fine. I was frustrated that I couldn't just stop drinking and feel good right away. It took awhile but I knew the only way to get out of the hell was to keep going through it and definitely not drink.

Keeping my job was my highest priority after I sobered up and I'm sure it is for you as well. Get as much sleep as you can and take be easy on yourself when you're not at work.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have a job (well I'm a carer for my son) but I suffer from depression and anxiety and have found hypno cds really helpful in dealing with daily stress rather than drinking. I try to listen at bedtime and they help me get to sleep. Don't keep me asleep unfortunately! The two I find most helpful are both paul mckenna ones - control stress, and change your life in 7 days. They are both books that come with cds.

It's always stressful starting a new job, I always say give it a month and things will be so much better. I would try to make conversation, hopefully in time you will be one of the guys. And if not, stuff em! Its a huge thing starting sobriety, new job on top isn't easy but things will settle down. Keep posting!
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope your feeling better soon drnkz
Old 10-15-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drknz, I suffer from panic disorder so my sympathies are with you. In early sobriety, panic attacks can happen. It does get better. Alcohol only makes the panic worse. Breathe...be kind to yourself. Do your job to the best of your abiliity and if something goes wrong, deal with it then. More than likely, nothing will go wrong. You just need time to find your feet being sober at a new job. When the panic starts, just remind yourself that it is only a moment in time and will pass.

Congrats on the new job and sober days!
Old 10-15-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
How did you guys deal when you got anxiety at the workplace?
I quit drinking.

Persistent alcohol consumption increases anxiety levels. It takes ~90 days for it to clear out of your system. Some people get lucky and it clears faster, some less lucky and it takes longer.

Good Luck!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering

So I went to work, I was surprised that I actually didn't feel anxious at all and was in a pretty good mood due to it being a nice day.

After having 2 days off from being sick and recovering I felt well and was talking to loads of people. I then saw my manager come out who gestured me over straight away..

I thought oh he just wants to tell me something.. He then proceeded to tell me that I had made 2 mistakes that he had to cover for (which I don't believe for a second) and that I was being dismissed (a nice term for your fired!).. I immediately said is this cause I was sick recently..

I kept myself cheerful and wasn't rude and he tried to be as nice as possible. I then finished my shift the whole time my mood instantly changed.. I didn't talk much to anyone, I was in my own head thinking of how much a screw up I am. How if I only didn't drink on the weekend I wouldn't have put myself into this position and how this will always keep happening if I continue living this way. I then left work and was extremely angry/depressed.

I got home to my dad in a bad mood so I instantly left the house (at 11pm at night) and went to the gym.. Now I'm stressed because Im gonna have no money for my holiday at the end of the year.

I really do need to recover and stop drinking I feel so down and like a failure at the moment, I talked to a close friend about it n she said the same however she just thinks I have no self-control and that I just keep drinking for the sake of it.

I don't know what else to say.. I feel like my life is going in circles around roundabout that I can't veer off. I never used to be so demotivated, so unsure in myself. I was a strong confident person who went for what I believed in.. When can I have that person back
Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Drknz.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
I was a strong confident person who went for what I believed in.. When can I have that person back
Whenever you want. Alcohol stole it from you. Steal it back.

You can do this. If you don't know how yet, keep reading and asking questions.

Never give up. Never give up. Never never never never give up.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear this. Just don't let it derail your sobriety. Things will improve if you stay sober.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recovering

Thanks guys... I honestly feel like this is the only place where people understand the true affects of being Alcohol dependent.. and to have withdrawals and the symptoms, everyone else in my life just sees me as normal or thinks I lack self control

Thank you guys all again! I will only try build from here..
Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Maybe you can see this as a turning point, a fresh start, chance for you to put 100% into staying sober. While you're looking for a new job could you do some part time voluntary work? To get you out of the house, build your confidence and also will look good on your resume. I would try to see this as a positive. You live at home with your dad? So you have a bit of breathing space to find employment. I would really use this time to think about what you want and how you can achieve it. And to plan how you will deal with not drinking. I do believe that things happen for a reason even if we can't see it at the time. Chin up you didn't run to the nearest bar which is great!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stress at work was a hurdle for me to get over when I got Sober too.

In the immediate term I made sure during the day I got some fresh air during breaks if I could, made sure I had something good to eat during the day and cut back on the caffeine, then when I'd get home went for a long long walk each evening.

In the longterm though adjusting my diet, plenty of fluids, more exercise, trying to get more sleep, overall improved my general stress levels and improved my bodies capacity to deal with it, taking away the need for my usual quick fix of alcohol!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry about the job.

Don't drink over it. That will just compound your anxiety.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I quit drinking.

Persistent alcohol consumption increases anxiety levels. It takes ~90 days for it to clear out of your system. Some people get lucky and it clears faster, some less lucky and it takes longer.

Good Luck!
I've been luck in that it clears after the first few days. When I drank though it was there those first few days off the bottle. It hurt my work performance because I was scared to do my job. When I was younger alcohol didn't do that to me. It is a progressive problem.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your news Drknz.

I hope this doesn't come across as non sympathetic, but I honestly think the bulk of your problems lead back, directly or not, to drinking.

I think you really need to find out which side of the fence you want to be on?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 10-15-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can have the old you back as soon as you throw every tool you've got at sobriety and make it work. It works if we work it. I didn't know if I would ever stop. I gave myself a 50/50 of turning it around and leading a productive life or just keep drinking and dying in a few years in my mid-thirties. I had to surrender. Surrender completely. It's no secret that things only get better in general when we don't drink. Even though slowly, they do get better. I'm three months in and things are much more peaceful. You can do this.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry for your news Drknz.

I hope this doesn't come across as non sympathetic, but I honestly think the bulk of your problems lead back, directly or not, to drinking.

I think you really need to find out which side of the fence you want to be on?

D
Yep I never showed up to work drunk but the anxiety was there and kills your performance. You're "under the influence" even when you're not drunk.