Notices

OK, you One year and Overies, tell us

Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

OK, you One year and Overies, tell us

What does it take to make a year? We need to know how you did it. HOW?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I white-knuckled it, trachs. For the first two years, I was caring for my extremely ill, then dying Mom.

White-knuckling it is NOT something I recommend. SR has been my "true sobriety" program. I joined SR in Feb. 14 when I was 26 months sober but I don't think I will consider myself a one Year and Overie until Feb. 15 because I wasn't really working it.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thank you. C'mon OV's.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

SR and AA.

Ninety meetings in ninety days to start for both me and my wife. I still log on to SR daily and go to a couple meetings a week; she doesn't.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
SR and AA.

Ninety meetings in ninety days to start for both me and my wife. I still log on to SR daily and go to a couple meetings a week; she doesn't.
Two friends of mine feel that AA saved their lives; one has been sober almost 30 years and still goes to daily meetings. The other has been sober about 7 years and goes to at least a meeting a day.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I trained hard....I hit the gym and trained like an animal....The gym keeps me sober....Oh and ice cream...Lots and lots of ice cream lol.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't want to die that sick pathetic way.

I was willing to go to any measure to find total recovery.

I went to an AA meeting nearly every day for the first 10 months.

I made recovery a job of sorts.

I reconnected with SR and some like minded.

I realized that sobriety could mean peace and serenity...a joyous, happy free life.

I asked for help almost every day. Not with not drinking...I do not carry an obsession. I asked for help and guidance from the people that I wanted to pattern myself after.

I'm trading ego for humility.

I'm grateful for the little things.

I'm putting others first.

I won't live in the past or plan a future outcomes.

ODAAT with everything...not just not drinking.

I'm starting to like the person I'm becoming. One day I hope to tell him that I love him. Not there yet.

I AM SO GRATEFUL TO BE CLEAN AND SOBER WHILE I WRITE THIS. A friend from here turned two years today and she said she was so happy that she wanted to shout out loud...or something like that. I know that joy!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I kept my motivations for sobriety fresh in my mind which was not to cause the pain my mother's alcoholism had caused me, in my children. I keep a sobriety journal where any quote that means something to me and my sobriety is written, including a list of the horrifying, embarrassing, crappy things I did to myself and others when I was a drinker and a good-bye letter to alcohol. In weak moments, I review my journal. I read SR every single day. I read a One Day at a Time Devotional every single day. I pray and meditate every day. I became dedicated to taking care of my health by changing what I ate, adding supplements, removing red meat and sodas from my diet, doing more exercise. Seeing my health change (lost weight, triglycerides went from an unhealthy 175 to 115 in one year!, no more heart palpitations, etc.) in a positive way, made thinking about adding poisonous, sugar filled alcoholic calories back into my regime nonsensical. I learned to say no and really take care of my personal needs.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

SR and diet coke and determination! Plus a very supportive partner and the many physical and psychological benefits that came with sobriety. By reading here, I learned about Mindfulness and Kindling and about the pitfalls of attempting moderation. Overall, after the first 3 months or so, it has been easier than I would ever have thought it could be.

Keep trying, trach. You'll get there
Old 10-14-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One last thing, one thing that I have noticed over my year of getting sober, is that the more time that you give to it, the more you find to like and appreciate about sobriety. So, there is so much more to lose by taking that first drink . . . . the odds go less and less in drinking's favor. Sobriety makes you more aware of the every day miracles of life and you don't want to lose that awareness.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SR was a big part, a really big part, especially the chat meetings and the support from others, plus seeing a therapist to work on why I wanted to kill myself literally and figuratively with booze and addiction, and finally... stubbornness... I was going to do it this time, I was going to make a positive change. I started to like what I was seeing, not 100% there yet, still have a long ways to go to undo years of physical and mental neglect, but I feel better and look better. I have energy, I am not sick in the morning, or broke at the end of the week.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

For me it was SR, one day at a time mentality, remembering how much I wanted to stop, and, frankly pride.

Once I hit one year, being a non drinker seems more natural. I don't think about it as much as I used to.

Hang in there. It can be done!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I let go and let God.
Quit trying to do it my way.
Was guided here, to a sponsor in AA and found the courage to make a start on the steps.
Try to help others that want sobriety.
And i never forget where i was and what i can have back if i lose my gratitude for another sober day.
G
Old 10-14-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I thought from your title that this thread had to do with actual ovaries...and didn't understand the connection with folks who had a year of sobriety...

That's funny.

Good sharings, all. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I always said if i can get to a month i knew i could do it here i am today at 15 months today

it started with acceptance that i cant drink anymore now i dont drink anymore the idea disgusts me my guts still go funny at the thought of drinking

its not part of my life it had no part in my life masked anything good about me

trachs its starts with acceptance
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I didn't give myself the option to drink. No matter what happened I could not go back. I think mindset is very important. Then I spent hours and hours on this site. I connected with others here, distracted myself and had people I felt accountable to. Then it's just a matter of dealing with things as they come up. Keeping focused on what is right in front of you and not trying to think too far ahead. I really couldn't see where this was all going anyway. Sometimes it has been one foot in front of the other for days at a time.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I traveled a ton. Exploring the world gave me something to focus on. It was fun being amazed without booze. Creating those awesome "sober memories" was huge and built up some reserves.

I would say to someone who is new and committed to sobriety: what is your favorite thing in the world that doesn't involve booze? Do more of THAT. Always wanted to go skiing in the Rockies? Have you always wanted to take up tennis, golf, or yoga? Do you love sketching and always wanted to take a drawing class? Make it happen! Picture a person you really admire and think about how they got their start. It's never too late. Life is FUN. Being alive is GOOD. When the fog of early sobriety lifts, start giving yourself a chance to truly be happy in this life.

There are also a few things NOT to do. Don't hang out with the old crowd, especially if they are drinking. Don't go to bars. Try to avoid parties that have alcohol. It doesn't have to be this way forever, but for the first 6 months at least, just stay away from it. Explore those new paths I listed above instead.

PS: It's also important to learn coping skills and have support. I was lucky enough to go to treatment and had daily classes that taught me a lot. I suggest everyone should go to AA, or LifeRing, or Rational Recovery, or AA for Atheists & Agnostics - whatever suits you. Go a few times to those kinds of meetings in the early goings and listen and learn.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

two things Trach:

Finding support, and using it....and making changes to my life, not only people places and things, but the more difficult area of reactions to bad news, stress, boredom, anger, good news& celebrations, fitting in, resentment, despair and anything else I drank on.

That's where the support comes in

I really wanted to be and stay sober. If I can do it, anyone can

D
Old 10-14-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I accepted that drinking was no longer an option, ever, things slowly started to fall into place.

And, Gratitude.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What silentrun said...I took drinking off the table. That meant I suffered through stress, anger, frustration, grief, shame, boredom, etc.--whatever would have prompted me to drink--WITHOUT DRINKING.

While I wasn't drinking, I learned how to deal with stress, anger frustration, grief, shame and boredom so that I no longer needed alcohol to cope. That's ongoing.

Furthermore, I listened to the people how had more sobriety than me and questioned everything I was resistant to doing or trying to maintain my recovery.