Notices

The weather

Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The weather

Random question.
when the weather is awful like it has been here in the uk do you ever find that your drinking voice is at the back of your mind?
These past few days I have found incredibly difficult and all I can think of is that it's been the change in weather and the minor surgery I had.
I've stayed sober but I've had an awful gnawing feeling at the back of me to drink.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh heck yeah! just make up your mind. I speak to myself out loud. I forget all about it the minute something else grabs my attention.
I hate thinking about having a drink. I get so mad at myself because drinking is the number one reason I have suffered so many financial setbacks, broken relationships, sick relationships, legal hassles, negative consequences, poor health. What could possibly be so great about alcohol to endure such misery??? When I look at it that way there is no way I will drink.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sure, I think it's easier to be out and about and cheerful when the sun is shining and the sky is blue. Winter is not my favourite season.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hate winter :-(
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nope

im in london

today i went all the way up the shops in this weather came home and realised i got the wrong size clothing so i went back out in this weather kept myself occupied got the clothes exchanged for the right size and made my way home

didnt catch the rain but was sweating because of the weather

im 15 months today and today ive been on my own as my gf is looking after her mum

but im not really on my own i got sr i got my dog tv my book my psp since my xbox died

This weather wont keep this boy down
Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The romanticisation of alcohol comes to the fore in my mind in Autumn/Winter!!

"A nice glass of whisky curled up on the sofa" or "a glass of wine by the fire" . . . "wouldn't that be amazing?"

Maybe it would, but alcoholics don't deal in glasses, my drinking centred around bottles, and therein lies the problem!!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I can hardly fail to respond to a thread involving light. In quick succession I have run across two threads that have referred to winter weather and its relationship to drinking, so I will post this in both. I suffer from this.

If you find yourself feeling unpleasantly different, or depressed during the winter months, it could be due to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). This can be brought about by inadequate exposure to sunlight. In the winter months (or even with prolonged cloudy weather) some people find that their mood changes and that they can become more moody. Often this takes the form of some degree of depression. Sometimes it can be brought on by just the anticipation of a winter season.

My fix for it involved moving to a tropical climate (and its much longer winter days), exercise and food supplements.

Learn about it. There's lots that can be done to combat it.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, anticipating winter here in Alaska. Trust me, this is the HELL of weather. 20 degrees below zero for months on end, snow and slush and ice and blizzards, darkness except for a few measly hours that you miss because you're at work, and the darn thing lasts for six months!!!!

I bought a special SAD light for this winter; I'm hoping that helps a bit.

Mostly, I'm trying to anticipate all the same "cozy images" but without the alcohol. The warm fire and the cup of tea and the book and the curling up. Skiing and returning home tired and at peace and drinking cocoa as I watch the snow fall.

I think my best bet is to collect a vast shelf of delicious alternative cozy beverages - different teas and cocoas.

When I feel these feelings related to weather and alcohol, I always try to remember being a child. I loved winter and rain and snow. I loved curling up in bed with a book. I loved playing outside in the snow and coming inside to the cocoa. There is no reason I can't celebrate the winter and have a zillion happy cozy moments sober....

I will note though, that this is not a small issue. Alaska has some of the highest alcoholism rates and suicide rates in the US. It is a real thing, and will require attention and intention to stay sober through.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sure I have SAD as I get very depressed in the winter. Not being able to walk my dogs every day also makes me unhappy. We all get cabin fever!

Bad weather used to be a trigger for making me drink... but then just breathing was a trigger for me...
Old 10-14-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wonder if there are a lot of us northerners who will be here on this site a lot more in the winter?

I know I belong to a scuba forum too, and the NW divers are the most prolific writers/posters. Sure, those with warm water actually dive. We just talk about it - ad infinitum.