Notices

Work accommodations

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Work accommodations

I finally found a LifeRing meeting I can attend as I work full time and have no childcare assistance or help at home in the evenings. It's on a weekday and only requires that I take lunch an hour later than usual. My work is fluid and doesn't require I be present at specific times. Despite this, my boss refuses to let me move my lunch break because she likes the whole staff to be on the same schedule. I told her it is for a support group and it's important to me, but no. I've asked my therapist for a note as he is actually a doctor at my HMO, so I hope if I take that to HR this will work. While I don't intend to disclose my addiction and mental health issues to my work, this is getting uncomfortably close. I finally found a group that works for me, and I'm afraid I'll have to give it up. I've worked here for over 6 years and have never requested any other accommodation. Sorry to vent, I'm just so frustrated. I guess acceptance means I have to accept having to fight for my health, I just feel weak and vulnerable here on day 5 and am exhausted from fighting myself. I don't want to have to fight my work too.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would be willing to bet the note from your DR will be sufficient for your HR folks. Make sure you deal with them directly and discreetly on that and not your boss. In the end it's not your boss' call anyway.

Glad to hear you have found something that works well for you, and that shows a lot of commitment on your part. Best of luck!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

CA Codes (lab:1025-1028)
1025. Every private employer regularly employing 25 or more
employees shall reasonably accommodate any employee who wishes to
voluntarily enter and participate in an alcohol or drug
rehabilitation program, provided that this reasonable accommodation
does not impose an undue hardship on the employer.
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to prohibit an employer
from refusing to hire, or discharging an employee who, because of
the employee's current use of alcohol or drugs, is unable to perform
his or her duties, or cannot perform the duties in a manner which
would not endanger his or her health or safety or the health or
safety of others.

1026. The employer shall make reasonable efforts to safeguard the
privacy of the employee as to the fact that he or she has enrolled in
an alcohol or drug rehabilitation program.

1027. Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to require an
employer to provide time off with pay, except that an employee may
use sick leave to which he or she is entitled for the purpose of
entering and participating in an alcohol or drug rehabilitation
program.

1028. An employee may file a complaint with the Labor Commissioner
if he or she believes that he or she has been denied reasonable
accommodation as required by this chapter. Sections 98, 98.1, 98.2,
98.3, 98.4, 98.5, 98.6, and 98.7 shall be applicable to a complaint
filed pursuant to this section.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My doctor says he will write a note recommending I attend the group, but it will say he is with the dept of psychiatry. And you can google his name and find out that he works in chemical dependency. I have a call in to HR to find out if they have to share the doctors name and dept with my boss. She has made disparaging comments about people with mental health issues before, so I really don't want her to know. I feel like this is snowballing and it's freaking me out. I'm not ready to fight this battle, and my mind is telling me to give up, that I've made a mountain out of a mole hill, that trying to get better is making things worse, and that I should just go home and drink. I know I'm overreacting, but that's how my mind works. I hate this.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally, I would back away from fighting the battle at work. Your supervisor said she wouldn't let you change your lunch hour. To fight her, you could be exposing yourself to a lot more pain and upset. You might win, but it sounds very risky. BUT, there is no need to go home and drink. Look around and see if you can find another option for a meeting or for babysitting. Maybe a family member would help you out?
Old 10-14-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's against the traditions of AA to ask for time off work to go to a meeting, but there are lots of AA meetings and often AA provides help with childcare.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
It's against the traditions of AA to ask for time off work to go to a meeting, but there are lots of AA meetings and often AA provides help with childcare.
Really? Can you give an exact on this. I never heard this before.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
Really? Can you give an exact on this. I never heard this before.
I read this in a brochure on Anonymity.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I read this in a brochure on Anonymity.
So its not one of the 12 Traditions. It's something else. Just something in a brochure.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's not AA, and I'm only asking to take lunch one hour later, no time off. But regardless, I am inclined to agree with Anna, this feels very risky. I don't have much in the way of other options, but I think I need to go back to the drawing board.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bosses can be so frustrating and unreasonable! But I also would not go over her head, it could cause you more trouble in the long run. Best of luck on trying to figure something out that works! Above all, don't drink over it, it would only make the situation worse. Take care of yourself at home, set some time aside in the evening.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have never heard that it is not okay to ask work for time off for an AA meeting. In reading the older texts, anonymity was intended as a "media" anonymity; it is fine for AA members to identify at home, at work, and in the community as they so choose. Initially they even printed their last names in contact booklets, because it was important to them that alcoholics in need would be able to find them.

I don't want to hijack this thread into a discussion of anonymity in AA, but I also don't want newcomers to think that means they can't negotiate time off work/shifting their schedule specifically to go to a meeting if they are so inclined and they have that relationship with their employer.

AA members can choose to identify as such in the workplace. There is even a chapter in the big book entitled "to employers."

I realize that Briar is interested in a different group, but don't want someone to think that they can't come out to their employer if that is the right thing to do.

Briar - it sounds like this has become more of a hassle than you intended. That happens sometimes.

Having the doctor's note doesn't mean that you have to turn it in if you don't want to.

If you think it could damage your relationship with your boss at work, and you're not ready to take that on, I suggest waiting. Waiting is one of the things we learn to do in recovery...we're used to making sudden decisions.

I agree with Anna that you might have other options which you haven't brainstormed yet. I do go to aa, and lots of people just bring children to meetings with coloring books and snacks. I'm sure it is a little harder for them to concentrate, but if you need a meeting, you do what you can. In bigger cities where I lived, many aa meetings did have childcare; I wonder if LifeRing does too.

No matter how you solve your need to attend meetings, don't drink out of frustration! You will build your support network bit by bit. One of the beauties of SR is that you can access this support group any time of the day or night, right from home. You may need more, but many people manage to get sober using only SR, so for now, it might be the best solution.

I send you wishes for a good rest of your day. Breathe. Remember that waiting until you're sure what the next right thing is is perfectly ok.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
So its not one of the 12 Traditions. It's something else. Just something in a brochure.
We rely on brochures and other Conference-Approved literature to explain details of the traditions. Here is the exact quote:

"Q. Should I reveal my anonymity to my boss so that I can attend early A.A. meetings regularly?

A. Asking for special favors because of A.A. membership is not in the spirit of the anonymity Traditions."

Understanding Anonymity, Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, 1981, p. 9.