Notices

Is there 1 thing you do daily that helps you maintain?

Old 10-14-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is there 1 thing you do daily that helps you maintain?

Is there? I always thought there might be something - to read, look at, walk to, remind myself - that in its simplicity keep me sober, but I am still struggling.

I put my late uncle's photo up and I look at him and remind myself that he can't be here because of his terminal illness that took him, and I have a duty, if not for myself (which is always what it should be about), for him.

Well after 66 days clean a week ago (longest in my life) I slipped. Black out for two and a half days.

Is there a photo, bible verse, legal document (like warrant), picture of a car you totaled, or something else?

I'm just looking for opinions here. I don't know the etitquete yet of this forum and not sure a search would link up something, and I'm a little shaky right now.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Amnesiac.

My wreckage was internal so I have to look no further than my soul.

I try to log on to SR every day and gain strength, inspiration and courage from the amazing folks who contribute to this forum.

Learn from those past two days but put them behind you and move forward, A.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I read here every day and, learn from other people experiences. I then try to implement what I've learned into my daily life. I also try to figure out why I drank and, what I need to do for myself to prevent a relapse.

I also relapsed about three weeks ago for a short period of time. Shame and guilt overwhelmed me. I found out I needed to forgive myself and just move on with my life.

I agree with SoberLeigh about the broken soul. Mine needs fixing.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello hope this helps amnesiac

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-14-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I really have to do is to remember how it was for me. I don't want to go back there, and I never have to go back there!

Additionally, SR reading/posting daily. Especially the Gratitude threads. Daily meditation as well.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wear the world like "a loose overcoat." Someone wise told me that long ago and it helps to relieve my stresses.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I stopped checking in here, I am pretty sure because of that-- and my arrogance of thinking that I had "moved on" from my problem after a couple years of success that I fell down just recently.

But, I do think about what I Don't want to be. I think about how awful I felt and how much better life can be and keep that in my head to stay sober.

When I was 22 I said to someone "I am gonna have a great life." I have had a great life so far for the most part, but if I kept drinking the way I did sometimes, that great life was turning to a big steaming turd pile.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The memories of my last bender and the chaos/damage that incurred b/c of it. I keep those memories very close and very fresh. I almost lost everything in one solid swoop...job, BF, family, apt....you name it, it was going to be gone. I did jail time (weekends)...and yah, although it was weekends, it was still horrible. I never ever want to go back for straight time.
I read here everyday to remind myself why I don't drink. Why I am CHOOSING to not drink.
Alcohol robbed me of many years, I don't want it to take anymore from me.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check into SR every morning and every night.

Helps me to never forget where I've come from and how bad it can really get.

I now don't even have to think about doing it, it's a part of my daily routine!!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's been a long time but the memories of how I hurt myself and my family are never too far away. I will never go back there again.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have a sobriety ring that I never take off, serves as a constant reminder. I also check SR and meditate for 10 minutes daily.

Day 111 today!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
That's a great article! I found it to be very helpful.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I keep a sobriety journal where any time I see a quote on SR (which I look at daily)or in a book that makes good sense and advice to me and my sobriety, I jot it in there. I also wrote a good-bye letter to alcohol and a list of all of the crappy, stupid, dangerous, scary, sickening, painful things I did to myself and others while I was a drinker and I keep that in my journal, as well. In weak moments, I pull that journal out as a reminder of how far that I have come and why I never want to go back to that shame and loss of control in my life. BTW, in a little over a year of sobriety, my journal is now 40 pages filled!!!
Old 10-14-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I keep a sobriety journal where any time I see a quote on SR (which I look at daily)or in a book that makes good sense and advice to me and my sobriety, I jot it in there. I also wrote a good-bye letter to alcohol and a list of all of the crappy, stupid, dangerous, scary, sickening, painful things I did to myself and others while I was a drinker and I keep that in my journal, as well. In weak moments, I pull that journal out as a reminder of how far that I have come and why I never want to go back to that shame and loss of control in my life. BTW, in a little over a year of sobriety, my journal is now 40 pages filled!!!
I love this! You have inspired me.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I post here daily, and do stretches for 15 - 20 mins when I wake up.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I wake up I try to remember the bad bad stuff and why not to go back there, just for today.

I read my withdrawal diary once a week.

I post on the 24 hour thread here every day for accountability
Old 10-14-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Like others have said, reading here every day has helped me loads. Remembering how much worse off I was when I was drinking helps me stay the course, as does writing in my journal.

I also have a couple scars on my face that are from a totally unnecessary, completely avoidable drunken accident, so those act as physical reminders for the damage of drinking every time I look in the mirror.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Daily? I'm hooked on coke zero now.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The Third Step Prayer
Old 10-14-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One of my favorite sobriety tools is my critters. Now that I'm sober I take such good care of them, and it shows. My favorite thing to do is walk my dogs. When I was first getting sober I used to walk them any time I had a craving to drink... they got a lot of walks for a while there!