Notices

Bloated and fat during initial sobriety?!

Old 10-14-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bloated and fat during initial sobriety?!

Hello All;

It took me months/years to finally seek a therapist and discuss my personal issues, especially with alcohol. Finally on Oct 1st, 2014 I decided to embark on 1 year sobriety challenge.. its going well so far and I feel much better. I did start it while I was finishing a trip in Greece because I wanted to be able to 'vacation' without feeling like I needed alcohol to enjoy myself.

For some background, I am a 31 year old female, probably drank a bottle of wine (to 1.5) and 3-4 gin and tonics a night, maybe more. Experienced a bad breakup...cancelled wedding.. yadda yadda you get the picture.

MY QUESTION IS: I ballooned once I stopped drinking these past two weeks? (almost ten pounds!)I feel like its just a spare tire of water retention, but I thought it was supposed to slip off by now? I did get my period, and had a long 12 hour transatlantic flight. I have been eating more candy but nothing ridiculous. I have even started weight training again..

My skin also broke out pretty bad.. But is this all normal? Is this from the stress of everything, or just maybe my body holding water until my hormones, stress, and mind find its new 'normal?'. Any advice would help greatly)

Thank you! Trying to be patient...
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You know alcohol is a diuretic, right? That effect is a major cause of hangovers. You'll think I'm nuts but drink TONS of water. An ample supply tells your body that there is no drought, we don't need to hold water.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will balance out
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Low

Yep, soberwolf said it all. Please focus on your sobriety and being grateful that you've started the journey...you focus on that, all that other stuff takes care of itself. Your body is just doing it's thing because your not drowning it in toxins every day. Stay the course! In the 30 years of being involved and around recovery, there is not one time we see someone who has gotten sober and say "oh my god, they look terrible"! One of the gifts is you will look great....
Old 10-14-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hi HappyLiver31-

First, congrats on your 10/1/14 decision, that's huge! And I see this is your first post, and that's huge too. Welcome. I found this forum to be a place that I come to often, as I'm new here myself.

The only thing that comes to mind is what's been mentioned, which was perhaps water retention. I do know that many people will have cravings after they stop their booze intake. If you know that you're not consuming a much higher than usual amount of calories, then perhaps too much sodium? Have you experienced unusual cravings for salty? Like Trachemys mentioned, hydrating yourself might help if it is a water retention issue.

I would guess if your diet has not really changed much, then this should resolve itself as your body adjusts. Remember, you have already greatly reduced your (alcohol) caloric intake. I'm just guessing that your body is going through changes. I know when I stopped I went through some.

It's also important to put things into perspective as well. You made the decision to stop. That's the hard / important part. The rest should fall into place as you reinvent yourself. You mentioned weight training. I fell into hard cardio myself. I suppose I'm substituting that for booze, but I'll take it. Perhaps you'll find that hitting the weights will offer some relief as well.

Hang in there. Things can only improve now that you've made the change!
Old 10-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The body can't repair or adjust from years of drinking in a matter of weeks, it took us years to get there, so it's not realistic to expect the body to bounce back in such a short period of time!!

Hang in there, it gets better, the body will do it's thing, but needs time to do it!!
Old 10-14-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR HappyLiver

D
Old 10-14-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! Great job on your time. I, too, am sporting one hell of a belly. I'm used to replacing meals with beer so I think my body is still storing fat for survival or something. Instead of worrying about it, I joke about it, laugh at it, jiggle it, I might even name it. I am used to bring 98 pounds. I'm 112 right now. All in the waist. I'll deal with that later. Right now I'm calling it my winter coat, I will eat what I want until I feel confident in my sobriety, and I have hope it will fix itself just by me being active.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi HappyLiver! It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start. And it's great to hear that you're already feeling much better and back in the gym. No worries about the extra pounds. If you've started up with weights, it's most likely just water. Keep that water bottle full and close at hand.

Countrygirl, Your reply cracked me up! I needed that belly laugh so badly, too. That was great. Thanks for the smiles, Hun!
Old 10-14-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had ISB symptoms for awhile. Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My stomach would all of a sudden blow up and hurt so bad I bent over. Then go back down. With all the inflammation alcohol causes, they take time to heal.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone here...drink plenty of water and don't worry about weight for now. Your body is readjusting and healing, it will balance out in time.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was bloated and fat while drinking as well as bloated and fat in early sobriety! It guests better with time. Drinking makes us all kinds of hideous!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Yep, every time I've detoxed I've been super thirsty and bloated for a few days. I figure it was my body trying to rehydrate. It didn't last long for me, but everybody's different. Drink tons of water and it should get better soon.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your welcome conquest!
Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hello, Happyliver ,welcome. I'm new here too.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your decision and welcome!
Honestly, I would chalk a lot of it up to the flight. I fly internationally fairly regularly and always suffer bloating for a good while after the flight. Drink a lot of water and keep up with the exercise. The skin issues and some of the bloating could also be your body trying to straighten itself out while adjusting to the new normal without alcohol. Water water water.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm fat too, but it's most definitely because of food! I've taken sober days as a license to eat whatever junk I want, but at some point that will need to STOP.

RE: skin problems, I'm having that too. I experienced something similar when I removed wheat, dairy and sugar from my diet, and I was told it was actually a symptom of detox! All those poisonous toxins leaving your body. Let's hope so, right?