Notices

Need help now

Old 10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help now

Today is my first day in recovery. Things have been bad to worse with the latest thing being a huge blowup physical altercation with my wife. I have been lying to myself and others for years that alcohol wasn't the problem. I NEED help now! I have been to AA meetings in the past but not for years. I feel like a horrible person with a ton of guilt and shame. I also have heart of repentance and the desire to live a new life. I am scared and I feel very alone. While I have the support of my parents and siblings I still feel scared. I am scared that I won't be able to do this and I really need to hear from someone. Thank you for your time
Old 10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Physical abuse is never okay and I do hope that you seek treatment for yourself.

Guilt and shame is part of early recovery and we just have to get through it. You never have to go back to where you are today. You can move on and live a sober life.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by Needanewlife View Post
I am scared that I won't be able to do this and I really need to hear from someone.
Many of us had that fear in early sobriety. I know I did. I had tried to quit many times, only to fall back into drinking days or weeks later.

The best thing I did was read here and post questions. There is loads of information and experience here on how to live a sober life, and all you have to do is ask for it.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Have you thought of counseling to help with your problems? I see a counselor and she's been very helpful.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi needanewlife - welcome You'll find a lot of support and understanding here - you're not alone

D
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here. Remorse and not ever wanting to have this feeling again drives many of us into programs, rehab and hopefully recovery.

Physical altercation sounds ominous. Take care of your wife first and foremost. Whatever she needs is number one priority, now today.

Willingness and desire are the keys....
Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you reached out for some help. I hope you'll continue to read and post. We all understand how it feels to reach that point. You'll find plenty of encouragement and support here.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober

if you really want to stop it wont be easy but it is always possible

since your wife is at risk can she can stay with family so you can really focus as this is about you no-one else

i wish every bit of luck in getting sober
Old 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I really feel your pain. I am tired of it as well.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello,

You are most certainly not alone. We are all suffering from this disease and we understand. I'm sure almost all of us suffer from guilt and shame regarding things we did while drinking and using. Your are taking the first step in admitting you have a problem. Keep posting and reading here. I have found AA and the support that I am getting from other members to be instrumental in keeping me sober. Hour by hour, day by day. Hugs to you.