AH just called from rehab

Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH just called from rehab

So, my AH just called from rehab. I have not talked to him since he arrived there 5 days ago. He sounds really good. I asked him if he was being honest with the shrink about his drinking and his behavior and he said yes. I specifically asked him if he had been honest about the verbal abuse and physical abuse that happened just before he went to detox. He told me yes, he was being honest. He told me that he is not craving alcohol at this point but who knows if that is the real truth?? He did mention that they were going to start him on one of the medications to prevent cravings. They have changed his anxiety medication from tablet form to capsule and tripled the dose. It was his understanding that the tablet form is digested too quickly whereas the capsule is not. His shrink asked him if he realized alcoholism was a disease and he told him that he didn't until he entered treatment. Another thing he told me was that he didn't want to go back to "that he** hole he called living" when he comes home.

So, for the moment I am optimistic. I may actually sleep a little better tonight. Regardless of what he said, I am still going to work on ME because I deserve to live happy and healthy!!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am still going to work on ME because I deserve to live happy and healthy!!
That's the spirit!!!
I know it's difficult -- I've never had a loved one in alcohol rehab, but I've had loved ones in mental hospitals for treatment, and I am guessing there are some similarities. It's hard to focus on yourself, but that's exactly what you need to do. He's safe and taken care of -- and you have all the right in the world to take care of you.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am actually trying to plan another weekend getaway. This weekend it was with my mom but hoping to getaway with my sister-in-law soon!! Spending time with she and my brother is always so peaceful. Every major life event I have been through, they have been right there beside me. Now, I just need to win the lottery so I can quit work and live free spirited!!! LOL!!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy for you !! Yes do things for you and recharge. It was hard for me the first trip I had to take for work when he was in rehab. But I knew I had to keep living and once I did that trip, I knew I rounded a corner. I actually did the work and had fun too. (And he was ok, the sky didnt fall).
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlueChair View Post
Happy for you !! Yes do things for you and recharge. It was hard for me the first trip I had to take for work when he was in rehab. But I knew I had to keep living and once I did that trip, I knew I rounded a corner. I actually did the work and had fun too. (And he was ok, the sky didnt fall).
I understand. One of the hardest parts of all of this for me is that AH and I both have the same profession. He is semi-retired and only works part time but I am actually his boss!!! When I go on business trips, he normally covers for me and runs things the way I want them run. Not this time. Nope. I will have to rely on other's to just take care of things. So, not only has this affected my home life, it has also affected my work life.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bamawife View Post
Another thing he told me was that he didn't want to go back to "that he** hole he called living" when he comes home. So, for the moment I am optimistic. I may actually sleep a little better tonight. Regardless of what he said, I am still going to work on ME because I deserve to live happy and healthy!!
So happy to hear this!!!

My AH called me again from detox this morning and sounded 100 times better than last nights conversation. He told me they were tapering him off of the detox meds, and that he was ready to tackle inpatient head on.

He seemed less guilty and shameful, and had a more positive outlook on the whole experience. He was even joking a bit (major part of his personality when he's not under the influence). I'm feeling more at peace everyday that goes by knowing he is safe and is with a team of experts who can help him.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AW1111 View Post
So happy to hear this!!!

My AH called me again from detox this morning and sounded 100 times better than last nights conversation. He told me they were tapering him off of the detox meds, and that he was ready to tackle inpatient head on.

He seemed less guilty and shameful, and had a more positive outlook on the whole experience. He was even joking a bit (major part of his personality when he's not under the influence). I'm feeling more at peace everyday that goes by knowing he is safe and is with a team of experts who can help him.
That team of experts can help him way better than anyone else. Remember to work on "you" and take one day at a time.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bama, glad to hear he sounded good and is working on things!