Notices

When to start a 5th step?

Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When to start a 5th step?

Is it good to jump in to sharing a 4th step with sponsor during the first 2 months of sobriety?

Does it make sense to start fast or take it easy and just take in a lot of literature meetings and get acclimated to the program by just listening and doing 5th step later after a period of time.

Is there a standard, or is it like everything else, everyone just wings it, and does what they feel like doing?
Old 10-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

some say to do the steps right from day one, others like me took me 2 years before i really did them
the meetings carried me for that period as i was going to a meeting daily or some times twice a day and i never knew it until i came to do the steps that i had already done the first 3 steps with how my actions were in going to aa and how i believe in the power of aa that was keeping me sober

but it was with the 4th and 5th step that i really did start to see the real me and how i started to learn just how i can change

i thought i was a bad person, i thought it was the drink that also made me a bad person i didnt even start to understand just how mentally ill i really was with how my thinking was

they talked about insanity in aa and it being an illness, i just thought i was a drunk who needed to stay sober and everything else in life would be perfect

but after 2 years of sober living and things going good for me in my life being sober i was still very much alone inside of me and unhappy in life, i wanted more and more that life could give me instead of just being happy with what i have around me

so to answer you i think there is no harm at all in doing the steps as quickly as you can, but i believe it will take the rest of our lives to keep on going and learning as the one thing the steps didnt do was change me over night
i didnt do 12 steps and it was the end

it was the beginning for me
Old 10-12-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've seen it go both ways.

Some people take them after a while, some people dive straight in.

Personally, I looked at the steps and thought "one day" but I drank again before that "one day" arrived.

2nd time around in AA and I have gone straight to work.

I'm 84 days sober and I'll be commencing my 8th step list with my sponsor this Wednesday.

I can honestly and sincerely report that, at 84 days, I feel 1000% better in sobriety than I ever did in two years of seven meetings a week and "just not drinking " and going with the "first step and third tradition " method.

Best of luck with your decision
Old 10-12-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I did my 4th and 5th after a year but that was me although I'm glad I waited