Notices

Friends?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friends?

Do I consider you guys my friends?
Old 10-12-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hard to say. As much as you can have trust and confide deep things to people, I do it as much here (or more) than I do to people in my real life. Of course, we don't really know anybody here all the way; what we know of one another is our best foot forward, for the most part. True friends see the warts and forgive us anyway.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I consider many people here my friends, if that helps

D
Old 10-12-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Airwick,
I share things here that I don't share with anyone. I have 'gotten to know' some folks here, and the way they deal with others decides whether I trust them. there are a lot of compassionate and wise folks here

When times are toughest for me, this is where I run to-to those I consider friends.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Like Dee, I would say I certainly have friends here. And I know of some members here who have eventually met in person. I've never done that, but I do have phone numbers for a couple of people here and have talked to them on the phone.

I wouldn't say I put my best foot forward here. I'm open about sharing my struggles and character defects yet everyone here is always very supportive no matter what I share.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah--you're right, DG. I find myself going out of my way to be extra-upfront about my faults, because I don't want to be anything less than honest. I really value people here.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't think I've been here long enough to have friends, but I've met a lot of supportive strangers.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Put it this way: there are definitely people here that I feel tremendous friendship toward and have tremendous respect for. My loyalty toward some people here is greater than my loyalty to many people in "real life." What does that mean?

I'm not sure if the folks count me as their true friends, but I am.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

AA talks about like minded people.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've definitely "met" some truly interesting, fascinating and helpful people here on SR, and I think I've also developed a pretty high level of mutual respect with a few. Some of these connections were most important and intense in a specific phase of my/our recovery and time here on the boards, others seem to be broader, more general and more stable. Some people I recognized and consider really likeminded people and would recognize them anywhere based on the familiarity, others are interesting for traits that are more different from mine, and usually it's a mix. Just like the diversity of personalities here, there is definitely a wellspring of different kinds of connections and relationships one can find here. In my view, there is no need to label these. It's been very valuable for me in many ways.

One thing I consider important in this context (and also in the 3D world): not to get overly attached to anyone in a way that their potential disappearance could do harm or compromise my well-being and sobriety. People come and go here, in the physical world, everywhere... I think it's important to appreciate these interpersonal connections most in the moment and treasure them as long as they last. We all have had friendships in the past, some of which we carry in ourselves far beyond their practical existence, current ongoing ones, and we never know what potentially wonderful new connections await in the future. For me, friendship is in constant flux, just like life in general, and is best enjoyed as a process with open end.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are people here on SR that even though I've never met them face to face, understand and get where I'm coming from more so than people in my day to day life!!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Friends that won't ask to borrow money or ask you to help them move house!! Even better, right? haha
Old 10-12-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely consider some people here to be friends.

For the most part we have only a cyber connection, but I know I am often more honest with people here than in real life.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The electronic age redefines friendship, doesn't it? Something to think about.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've only been here a couple weeks and I consider myself better friends with the folks here than many of my so-called Facebook friends!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Art: I knew we were more powerful then Facebook lol
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Do you want to borrow money
Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you have a couple bucks to spare I won't reject the offer Don't know when I will be able to pay you back though lol
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I have met one SR member and consider her a friend but I have many 'Cyber Friends' that I cherish here too! I can say from my own personal experience though that Haennie is absolutely right and if you develop too much of a bond with someone here and they disappear or ignore you, it can really hurt.

Personal boundaries are a good thing with Cyber Friends....
Old 10-13-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Here I meet with all my SR friends. I have been on for a bit and I am starting to recognize names and get to know people (by what they post). I love my SR friends, never sugar coating the tough things, always understanding and always supportive. I really value all my SR friends.