Palm Beach DUI/Manslaughter Retrial

Old 10-10-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Palm Beach DUI/Manslaughter Retrial

In 2012 there was a DUI trial in Palm Beach, FL of a wealthy polo playing douchebag who drove his Bentley into the Hyundai of a 23 year old recent college graduate. The Bentley blew past a stop sign and pushed the kid’s car into a pond where the kid later drowned. The man never tried to help the kid out. He ran away like a coward claiming he was in a daze. You might have heard about this story as the man also adopted his girlfriend to transfer his wealth to a trust in her name so that he would not have to pay out his fortune to the victim’s family who would pursue a civil case against him. The douche was convicted of DUI and manslaughter and sentenced to 16 years in prison.

In 2013 the douche’s attorney had the case overturned on a technicality. One of the jurors did not disclose that his wife had a DUI, so the verdict was thrown out.

Today, I read the retrial has started and the jury pool is statewide since the case had so much notoriety most people know about it already. In addition to trial costs the jury will cost the taxpayers 75K since they are coming from all over the state and will be sequestered in a Palm Beach hotel.

This case enrages me. The douche was found guilty and sentenced. On a technicality he gets off (temporarily) and gets a new trial on someone else’s dime. He didn’t have to turn over his fortune to the victim’s family and other than pay his attorney’s fees, is basically skating through this. This guy is repulsive and he reminds me of my exA who skates through life without consequences just like this douche. He pays to get out of things and never has to really “pay.”

I hate that.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hard to believe he would show no remorse at all. He is probably like that sober.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I definitely recall the story, and yes, he is a douche. I hope he gets 25 to life this time. He has been dishonest throughout the entire episode.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Reminds me of my ex.. No empathy.. How can someone with no empathy suffer if they can not feel pain and keep on running.. Hope the God lord shows him who's boss one day. My heart goes out to the poor family who have suffered.. Life is not fair.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sometimes our "justice" system sucks.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, Anvil is right. It's still better than any other justice system I know.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another entitled ******* who thinks he's a above the law. In a way he is. Money DOES make a difference when it comes to the justice system.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The entitlement is what gets me. The repeated disregard for others. I suppose since I was on the receiving end of that type of selfishness in several relationships, an example like this case bugs me.

I honestly had no idea how many sickos there were in the world until I was about 30ish. I made so many excuses for everyone around me. My hardline stance on keeping away from the crazy is derived from being exposed to people like this. People who with a fair degree of certainty will not get better. That is just the way they are. Acceptance of others....ugghhhh.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

some people are like that, i might have been like that too when i was drinking.

some how the wheels of justice will turn against him. i am sure he will pay his lawyer hundreds of thousands of dollars if not millions.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
This case enrages me.

He pays to get out of things and never has to really “pay.” I hate that.

i came back to this post after thinking about it. i used to work in the criminal justice system. i seen many people go to prison for many many years and at first accept their punishment, but years after want a lighter sentence.
i think most of us are like that here. if you say NO, ask your self this. if you were caught for DUI and the court gave you a choice of a fines of $10,000.00 or $20,000.00 or $30,000.00 fine and you get to pick, what would you pick?? i think most would pick the $10,000.00 fine. human nature to survive. i would, hate to be honest.

you say he gets out of things and never pays.
i bet he will pay several hundred thousands of dollars to his lawyers. i hope he trusts his girl friend who holds his money. she can walk away any time with that much money.

i bet he will go to prison, and when he goes, he will get a new type of punishment. he will be victimized in a whole new way.