Notices

hey, i'm new here..

Old 07-26-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

hey, i'm new here..

so, uh...i had a friend reccomend this site to me.

i'm 20, my name is amanda and i'm from mississippi...i've never really sought out help for my drinking...i think i've just recently came to the conclusion that it is actually a problem. sometimes i dont even really know if i WANT to quit, although i know i need to...and i want to...i dont know...its just confusing.

anyways, i'm just dropping in to say hi and introduce myself. so hi!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Amanda,

Triegger here, alcoholic. Welcome to SR, you have found a place full of great people and support. I understand what you mean about being unsure about wanting to quit. When I first started to question whether I had a problem I was scared that if I had to quit how would I cope.

Did not take long for me to learn that by the time you start to think you have a problem you probably do. You are taking that first step and reaching out, way to go. The gang will be by in a few to say hi and offer the support.

Were pulling for you, keep posting

Triegger
Old 07-26-2004, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to SR! Boy your not alone in those thoughts, confusing is right. But when you get to the point you know you MUST quit, are comfortable in that decision, realize, life goes on and sobriety is a blessing, it becomes more clear. We're glad your here!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome Amanda!
That you're here means you're worried about something yes?
I'm glad you found this community.
Nothing but support in your efforts to understand will be given to you here.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

HI Amanda,
You don't need to diagnose yourself ....yet...all you need is a desire to stop drinking. You have that, so WELCOME!

We are all here because we share a common desire to quit. I've stopped for a week now and it really feels good.

Be sure to pop back on here and tell us all what you are now able to do with your clear head, free time and more money!! Sobriety is a true gift. Each hour you have is a new opportunity for a better way of life. You are young, so I see it as you got smart a lot younger than I did. Bravo to you! ...but ask any of us, if you start your sobriety now... you are going to be able to, save yourself a lot of the heartache, DUI's, risked lives, sicknes, barf, lost friends, lost family etc. that a lot of us have had to endure.

Keep coming back here for strength and encouragement, new friend.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Amanda,
We only have today. We live for the day, and tell ourselves we won't drink, one day at a time. There are a great bunch of people here who are all in the same boat. Jump in and save yourself.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Amanda - well, I waited until last year (age 41) to realize I was an alcoholic. At first, I said no way, not me, but the most important parts of my recovery were the chemical dependency evaluation and then accepting that I was an alcoholic.

It seemed a little easier to not drink after these steps.

It is okay to be confused about important aspects of our lives - that is why we need the support of family and friends (or AA group). It is also okay for us to admit and accept that we have a disease callled alcoholism, begin recovery and enjoy life without hangovers and doing stupid things.

And it is a medical condition that is pretty common, but it sure can be managed, but not cured.

I hope all goes well for you Amanda - keep us posted!

Dave
Old 07-26-2004, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

thanks you guys. i can tell already that this place will help a lot. everyone here knows what i'm going through, and that is comforting in a way. i dont think i could get through this alone, but i know i dont have enough courage or whatever to meet people face to face...i feel more comfortable online i guess...
Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome vanishing! im 20 too. hang in there and post away, this place is very supportive.

hugs,

dot
Old 07-27-2004, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Amanda
I'm Rowan, alcoholic, and I'm so glad you're here! You have found an amazing site!
The men and women here are wonderful. I was 19 when I was first approached by
an employer who identified me as having a 'significant drinking problem'. I blew it
off, hurt myself and many others in the ensuing years. I'm 36 today with 2 kids and nearly 11 months sobriety this time around. Sometimes I wish I could turn back time and erase all that happened, but that's not possible. I'm glad you found us Amanda.
Please keep coming back we need you here.
Love, Rowan
Old 07-27-2004, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Amanda!! Welcome!! I wish I thought I had a problem at 20. My life may have been different, not to say that I'm grateful for where I am. Keep coming back!! We believe in you!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New Beginnings

Your newest member.

My husband found the SR site and I'm excited to become an active member. I am new to sobriety and in my 27 days of clean time, I feel better physically & mentally. Getting to AA meetings and talking to my sponsor daily is a true blessing these days. It is a miracle that I can say, "just for today, I don't want to drink." Until next time, take care all.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dan

Welcome to SoberRecovery Cleanmachine!
I feel better physically & mentally.
Ain't it sweet?
Glad you're here.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR cleanmachine. Looking forward to reading your posts.
God Bless and keep coming back we need you here.
Love, Rowan
Old 07-27-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Welcome Amanda. Rowan's story reminds me that I was about 21 when one of my college professors told me to "sober up" (in the middle of class, no less). I'm 35 now, still working on it. Could have saved myself a lot of wasted time if I'd listened to her then.

Stick around, and let us know how it goes.

God bless,
Joe
Old 07-27-2004, 02:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Paused

thanks you guys...

just this weekend i went 2 days without drinking...which sadly enough an accomplishment. i'm trying though. and you guys seem great and very supportive. i need that.

amanda
Old 07-27-2004, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

congrats on your 2 days amanda!

welcome cleanmachine!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Amanda,

Grats on your 2 days. Everyday you dont drink is a win in my book.

Keep fighting the good fight, I am pulling for and with you.

Triegger
Old 07-27-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Chy

Keep on keeping on!!

Welcome cleanmachine, I hope you'll start your own thread to recieve a proper welcome!

We're glad your here.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hello amanda

I was in my 20's when I first noticed I had a drink problem, but carried on till I was 36. Thought I was to young to be an alcoholic. If you can give up now do it and enjoy more of your life
Hiney