Notices

Triggers

Old 10-10-2014, 02:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Triggers

Hi everyone,
I just thought that I had to share my experience yesterday. Sometimes when I write it down it helps me to put things into perspective. Yesterday was my little boy's 8th birthday! Such a special day for him! We had planned on cooking his favorite meal and getting him a little cake to celebrate b/c his bday party won't be until the weekend. I woke in a decent mood, a little tired b/c for some reason at almost 6 weeks sober I'm having some insomnia. Well, it seemed as though my day was getting worse, I was very agitated, seemed a little depressed, unfocused. It was just one of those days where everything seemed to have gone wrong.

Let me rewind to earlier in the day when my friend texted to beg me to go to our 20 year class reunion that's in a couple of weeks (which I am NOT going b/c I know what will happen if I do go!). Finally I had to tell her that I quit drinking and I haven't heard back from her... Anyway, so I had that weighing on my mind plus, normally, on a Thursday my husband and I would "hang out" and drink, especially on a special occasion such as our son's bday. Needless to say, I was craving big time yesterday! I haven't craved like that since I have been sober and it was a big eye opener! How close I could have come to losing it all! And the craving seemed to come out of nowhere! Good news for me is that I didn't cave and when I woke up this am the craving is gone!!! Hopefully these cravings/triggers will be far and few between!! Thank you for listening and letting me share!!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

loud and clear. Alcohol is and wears a mask. Don't be seduced is what my Pappy says.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great to hear you beat the cravings and that your son had a lovely birthday
Old 10-10-2014, 04:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on not picking up and doing things necessary for continued sobriety.
I needed to learn, unfortunately by experience, that drinking actually accomplished very little, usually made things, me, worse. In looking back I realized my need to be with sober people who understand us and comfort us in times of need.
This involves self honesty about our drinking and accepting the fact we cannot drink in safety.

BE WELL
Old 10-10-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good work!! I hope the little guy's bday was nice!