Notices

Giving this site another shot

Old 10-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Giving this site another shot

A little about me (and I've said some of this on here before), I was laid off in April. I've been unemployed and looking for six months now. If that has anything to do with my drinking, it's exacerbated it, because I was drinking too much before I was laid off.

But now I'm looking for something else, not just beyond being drunk most nights, but beyond what I did for a career for the last 15 years. I've enrolled in some classes and a certification program to become a personal trainer, something I've always wanted to do but kept in the back of my mind. At 38 I was leery, until I did some research and found out how many people pursue this career in their late 30s/early 40s. I'm stoked about it.

I know it's something I can't do as a drunk. And I know I have to stop smoking to do it. And the two of them enable each other. So I guess, right now, I'm working towards ending both by January, when I take my exam.

I don't know if I have a point. Just that I can't drink without smoking, and I can't drink without moderating. So I know I have to quit both to pursue this. I guess I just want to know, this Superman feeling I have when I drink, what I should have at the gym, do you ever get it without booze? I don't even know if that makes sense.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back Philly.

I'm experiencing something similar to you, unemployed with too much time on my hands. I used to drink every other day because I thought there wasn't anything to do. Now that I'm not drinking I'm surprised how much "little stuff" was not getting done, just taking action on something I was not facing up to is a great feeling now. Your interest in furthering your career option is interesting, please keep posting on how things are going. I think you'll be surprised how better things will get even day to day.

As for the superman feeling when drinking, I'm finding that is slowly getting replaced by my facing up to reality and some of the damage I did when drinking. There is great power in doing.

Stay strong and post on
Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Philly

I sense you're looking for a guarantee here - that you won't lose out by not drinking?

All I can tell you is my life sober is nothing like I thought it would be - and thats a good thing because my imagination couldn't have built a life for me like I have now.

I'm happy and content and at peace for the first time as an adult.

Those crazy giddy superman moments? not so much - but they weren't real anyway - we both know that.

I don't look for a buzz anymore and I don't think you will either - happiness is quieter but better IMO - but if you get sober and you feel you still need that euphoria I think the gym would be a great place for an adrenaline rush.

You say you want to be sober for January? My advice is start now...don't put it off, don't risk it. Start now.

Volunteering in my community was great for me when I had too much time on my hands - it got me doing things, it got me out of the house, it got me out of my own head...and I was helping others into the bargain. Win Win

D
Old 10-09-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have never felt more of a Superwoman than when I kicked the drink. Even now, 3.5 months in, I feel bursts of euphoria that's better than any buzz. Even when my days are crap, I think that at least I don't drink to make everything much worse and it helps me through. And the contentment and freedom and endless possibilities that are open and available to you when you are not weighed down by alcohol... I really wish this for your, philly! You are at a turning point in your life, you can do everything you want and more!
Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The Superman Moment?

Oh,yeah. It come's when sober. When you've spent an hour climbing a bluff, and are standing on the top. When you walked ten miles into the wilderness with all you need on your back. When you comfort a child. When you pet a stray cat.

Those moments do come when you're sober.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Never felt super while drinking. Super Woman now, though, even on the hard days. Because I have the strength to solve my own problems and control my life, which was impossible with a drink in my hand.

You can do this! Welcome back.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Welcome back here Philly - I'm with Dee...don't wait till January, start today!!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Superman doesn't drink.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

or smoke.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

I remember those Superman moments they were just before I fell flat on my face.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Philly!! You can do this!!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

Alcohol was my kryptonite!!!
Now, it's in the " lead box" I may safely have any adventures I desire!

Peace
Old 11-10-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Glad you're here!

Alcohol was my kryptonite!!!
Now, it's in the " lead box" I may safely have any adventures I desire!

Peace
LOL, well said. I guess all kinds of kryptonites come with addictive personalities. I'm just looking for healthy things to be addicted to. I'm still toying with the idea of going to AA but I don't want to sit around and talk about why I miss booze. I don't want to give booze that much credit, at least not long term. The gym has been great, and my body really seems to like it.

It's unfortunate, but my 30s are just nothing but beer gardens and brunch, especially being single, and it's so hard to make new friends with other interests when you're almost 40.

I'll figure it out. I told one good friend that I'm struggling with alcohol. He was in town this weekend and I'll admit, we went out to the bars and I did it up. But when we went to breakfast the next morning he was really open to talking about it. He even brought it up. Not because I was a messy drunk or anything the night before, but just because we hadn't talked about it in person. It was nice to know I have an old friend who has my back. He was on medication for an infection for about six months and couldn't drink so he had an interesting take on how many friends you lose when you can't go out and get drunk.

It's just so frustrating. I really wish I could just go out and do what everyone else does and moderate. Or meet people who want to spend Saturday night at a pizza joint. I wish I could reset my brain to my 17 year old self.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Phiily

I had to change my life a little - change my friends up a little. I needed new friendships where drinking was not the basis of the relationship or the sole idea of 'fun'.

I have a better social life now than I did when I was drinking. True story

D
Old 11-10-2014, 09:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, welcome back. I don't know about the superman thing but I did want to say that I've almost never ever been to an AA meeting where anyone talks about why we miss drinking. Reminiscing about the grand old times when we messed up.

It's more about providing support for personal growth which keeps me from drinking. because for me, drinking alcohol was a symptom. I'd give AA a try. You can always decide it isn't for you but I find it helps.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Still very new to this, but I know what you mean about that superman/wonderwoman feeling. I used to get that when I was younger, heading into a club, feeling fly. But the fact is, that feeling was very fleeting and what followed was less than super, to be sure, especially as I got older.

I'm only a little over 40 days sober, but I can tell you that now I really feel like wonderwoman. I'm starting to sleep well, waking up rested and ready to take on the day. I'm taking good care of my partner and my puppies and, perhaps more importantly, myself. I never did that when I drank: I drank to reward, but there were so many ways in which I pushed myself to exhaustion, at home and at work. I refuse to do that any more.And ironically, now i get so much more done in both places: I'm so incredibly productive--it feels exhilarating.

Don't get me wrong: I still have challenges, particularly when I'm stressed and want to just "check out." That urge is still strong. But less so than it used to be and feeling super is really starting to get addictive.

Wishing you well on your journey and with your exciting goals!!
Old 11-11-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm working towards ending both by January
Why wait? Quit now and you'll be in great shape for the start of the new year.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Philly

I sense you're looking for a guarantee here - that you won't lose out by not drinking?

All I can tell you is my life sober is nothing like I thought it would be - and thats a good thing because my imagination couldn't have built a life for me like I have now.

I'm happy and content and at peace for the first time as an adult.

Those crazy giddy superman moments? not so much - but they weren't real anyway - we both know that.

I don't look for a buzz anymore and I don't think you will either - happiness is quieter but better IMO - but if you get sober and you feel you still need that euphoria I think the gym would be a great place for an adrenaline rush.

You say you want to be sober for January? My advice is start now...don't put it off, don't risk it. Start now.

Volunteering in my community was great for me when I had too much time on my hands - it got me doing things, it got me out of the house, it got me out of my own head...and I was helping others into the bargain. Win Win

D
Exactly this
Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Still very new to this, but I know what you mean about that superman/wonderwoman feeling. I used to get that when I was younger, heading into a club, feeling fly. But the fact is, that feeling was very fleeting and what followed was less than super, to be sure, especially as I got older.

I'm only a little over 40 days sober, but I can tell you that now I really feel like wonderwoman. I'm starting to sleep well, waking up rested and ready to take on the day. I'm taking good care of my partner and my puppies and, perhaps more importantly, myself. I never did that when I drank: I drank to reward, but there were so many ways in which I pushed myself to exhaustion, at home and at work. I refuse to do that any more.And ironically, now i get so much more done in both places: I'm so incredibly productive--it feels exhilarating.

Don't get me wrong: I still have challenges, particularly when I'm stressed and want to just "check out." That urge is still strong. But less so than it used to be and feeling super is really starting to get addictive.

Wishing you well on your journey and with your exciting goals!!
This post really got me. For one, the Superman/Superwoman thing. I think it has a lot to do with chemicals. I don't even "want" to drink but it definitely charges something in my brain. Still, I sleep so much better when I don't drink, especially after a few days. And after I drink, I definitely don't feel like Superman.

I think it's great you have a partner. I hope he/she helps you. I really wish I had that. This is very hard to do alone. I'm not accountable to anyone. It's so easy to slip up.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Philly76, you are not alone. We are here to help and support you. It really does get better: take the leap!