Notices

Confession

Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confession

This is a chicken/egg scenario, but when I was drinking uber-heavy, I really hated life and didn't give a flying f*** about me or anyone else. I don't know if I hated life because I drank or drank because I hated life. Whatever.

I am in very early sobriety now and my "old" true self is returning bit by bit. And with that is a lot of sorrow (some joy too). I am feeling the pain that I drowned all those years, and it is excruciating at times. And I am also starting to care again. My issue has always been that I care too much about everything, so that is why I drank to blot that out.

I care about things I can't control...global warming, famine, poverty, etc. as well as mundane things like if my cats are comfortable. It really becomes too much. Anyone else like this?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah, I had to cut back on my stuff that I worry about.

Worry is like a rocking chair. It gives me something to do, but doesn't get me anywhere.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Artfriend yes i have felt like this in early sobriety don't worry feelings moods pass with better thinking & perpective and remember your in early sobriety your going to have days like this

50 Essential Tips To Help You Stay Clean And Sober
Old 10-09-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post

I care about things I can't control...global warming, famine, poverty, etc. as well as mundane things like if my cats are comfortable. It really becomes too much. Anyone else like this?
yup.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a chicken/egg scenario, but when I was drinking uber-heavy, I really hated life and didn't give a flying f*** about me or anyone else. I don't know if I hated life because I drank or drank because I hated life. Whatever.

I am in very early sobriety now and my "old" true self is returning bit by bit. And with that is a lot of sorrow (some joy too). I am feeling the pain that I drowned all those years, and it is excruciating at times. And I am also starting to care again. My issue has always been that I care too much about everything, so that is why I drank to blot that out.

Totally. I drank to escape my pain and anxiety. Now that there is nothing to numb me out, I am feeling everything full force and it's scary. I just keep breathing and trusting that not drinking has got to be better than drinking.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Guilty.

Look up "Highly Sensitive Person". That explains how I lived my whole life.

When I first got sober, I felt so raw I could barely function. I cried constantly and ached with existential pain.

It seems to have subsided quite a bit in sobriety. Although you wont catch me watching the news, anything politically related or horror based movies.

Just Cant.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

That is definitely like me!!
My therapist says I think too much. I totally do. I have lots of anxiety....also drinking is blotting out a lot of pain, as well as all the worry. So there is much that comes up, when we stop drinking... all the stuff we were avoiding. Ah. :O
But I guess it's good to finally work through it all... feel all the feels...just not let them drive you crazy I suppose. Going to need to figure out how to do that, haha.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

this would explain why it can be so exhausting. All those intense feelings that are actually being PROCESSED and not stuffed and drowned.
Friggin' tiring some days.
This whole "being in tune" with one's self is not easy. Sometimes I wonder if the better way would be to just NOT care, like a lot of other people. I dunno.
I know I cannot control even half of the crap I "emote" over - so I think, why? why am I cursed with this.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I care about things I can't control...global warming, famine, poverty, etc. as well as mundane things like if my cats are comfortable.
Do you care about these things? Or worry about them? There is a difference.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Before I drank, my mind used to go a million miles an hour, I'd sit with my thoughts racing over many things, when alcohol entered my life I found it a relief to escape from the chaos of my mind, then in Sobriety I had to figure out how to be at peace with my thoughts again.

I definitely think though living in the here and now, dealing with things as they crop up is a healthier way forward, escaping and numbing all these real thoughts is not a sustainable way forward!!

Hang in there!!
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Do you care about these things? Or worry about them? There is a difference.
A difference without a distinction really. I care and I worry.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you're doing and learn some techniques to deal with the normal emotional ups and downs of early sobriety.

A mantra that helped me a lot in early sobriety was: "Feelings aren't facts." Just because things seem extremely bad/good what have you, doesn't make it so. Our emotions are like a rubber band early in recovery.

I'm glad you are starting to feel again - it's good! As your brain rewires it will become healthier again and you will adapt to life easier. It takes time, but after a while you should be able to care about such things but not be overwhelmed by your emotions. It gets better
Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt like this too. I used to say to myself, "I feel too much, more than others, I need to drink to feel like a normal person feels naturally."

I don't think that way anymore. I feel a lot again, sometimes it is overwhelming, but if I'm feeling things that are very negative, I try to read some uplifting news or think about all the good things going on in the world I never hear about because it never makes the news.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
I felt like this too. I used to say to myself, "I feel too much, more than others, I need to drink to feel like a normal person feels naturally."
I said the same thing! I am naturally sensitive (some say over sensitive) and I wish I had thick skin like so many others.

I am like Annie Hall who didn't want Woodie Allen to kill the spider. He says, "what do you want me to do with it? put it in therapy and rehabilitate it?"
Old 10-09-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I believe this thread is missing something. Anytime is a good time to resign as general manager of the universe.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A difference without a distinction really. I care and I worry.
I think there is a distinction. There is nothing wrong with caring. However, exccessive worrying is a neurosis.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. I'm so glad there are other sensitive souls who used alcohol and drugs to self-medicate some pretty intense worrying and anxieties!
I actually didn't start drinking to self-medicate but when it wasn't till I tried to stop the first time, that I realised how much of a bad state I was in.
I really love the rocking chair analogy further up that someone else posted.
I find that writing has helped a lot with this as I can list my worries and tackle them one by one.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Me too. I get frustrated with things I can't control a lot... better than I used to be... I'm working on it. I don't watch the news as much anymore. I used to watch in the morning and the evening and I was crying about all kinds of stuff happening in the world that I can't do anything about.

Remember that Serenity prayer. I say it over and over some days.

Peace
Old 10-09-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Remember that Serenity prayer.
Thanks for reminding me of that prayer! So very true.

Gotta work on the wisdom to know the difference part!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

ArtFriend, like others here, I did the same thing.

It was amazing to me when I learned that feelings didn't have control over me. I had felt like I was buffeted about by waves of feelings and I had no choice in the matter. But, the truth is, you can feel the feeling and recognize it and then let it go. It's not you.