Notices

Very new but have some questions

Old 10-08-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Very new but have some questions

I just yesterday found out I have something going on with my liver, to what extent I will find out for sure this afternoon. Truth be told I am scared.
After a phone convo with my doc office on Monday morning, I have not touched a drop of alcohol. I am not surprised either. I had a headful of beautiful blonde naturally curly hair that went down to the middle of my back.
Over the last 6 months it has rapidly deteriorated. Its very thin and getting shorter with many, many broken strands. I'm afraid to sleep because it rubs my hair on the pillow, and when I do sleep I have horrible dreams where I wake up and I'm bald. It took some time to connect the dots were, after trying different vitamins and very expensive shampoos and hair treatments that were not helping, I have absolutely no desire to have anything to drink. All I have to do is touch my hair.
I am anxious to get on with getting better. Hopefully this afternoon a plan of action will be in place.
My question is this, does anybody have experience with similar hair loss, and what if anything can be done? and does it come back at all?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, lanikaye. I don't have experience with hair loss. (But don't get me started on it turning gray....).

You will find a lot of support and helpful advice from the good people here. I know that I have.

Good luck on your sober journey. I am glad you are here with us.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just wanted to welcome you.

Originally Posted by lanikaye View Post
My question is this, does anybody have experience with similar hair loss, and what if anything can be done? and does it come back at all?
Good questions for the doctor. Hope today begins the journey to health and recovery.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have a tiny lil patch were talking tiny fading patch of alopecia im sure as my sister also alcoholic has been diagnosed with it

i have always had short hair but will eventually lose mine

i need to see doctoir about it i noticed a month ago
Old 10-08-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm very happy you have decided to stop drinking.

There is so much damage that can be done to a body due to alcohol. Do some research.

I hope you are starting to eat better and that your doctor will be able to guide you through returning to health.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Welcome!

Please let us know what the doctor has said. My dad is an alcoholic and I see the damage it has done to his heart. His heart, my pancreas, your liver..everyone its different. We just werent made to drink alcohol.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

The body is a fantastic piece of kit, it can repair, but it's not invincible, it has it's limits, especially when alcohol is involved!!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thank you one and all for the well wishes. Heard from the doc re: ultra sound. Came back as fatty liver. Waiting for the blood results to come back which could be today but prob tomorrow, then I am guessing next course of action to be figured out?
Can someone who has been there explain to me a fatty liver? I would look online but my husband made me promise to stop doing that, as it upset me terribly last night.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by lanikaye View Post
then I am guessing next course of action to be figured out?
There is the medical course of action...and the recovery one. Don't expect your health fears to carry you through sobriety. At some point we have to address the drinking and learning to live without alcohol.

Coming to SR was a great start.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please note that it's against our rules to ask for or give medical advice.

I hope that your dr will explain fatty liver to you.

I also hope that you work on your recovery and on regaining your health.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Lanikaye,

Your email prompted me to go online and look up your conditions an as Anna pointed out we are not allowed to give medical advice and rightly so.

I remember very early in my sobriety a member of AA pointing out to me as active alcoholiccs we may think we are eating healthily but our bodies are not absorbing the nutrients properly.

Did the doctor ask you how much you drank and did you answer honestly? You didn't mention it on here either but I am assuming that you think your alcohol consumption may be the cause.

I would be very interested in what the doctor has to say. This could be the time to start making some changes.

SR is a great support website.

caiHong
Old 10-08-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is not the end of the world but you will need to work at being sober and not drinking. That is the best thing you can do for yourself, your body, and your mind. I sure hope you use this news as a wake up call to get healthy. Your DR will have some very good advice on what to do, and how you can start to get out of this. Your DR will have all the answers for you, but I would advise to get a copy of your report for yourself along with a copy of your blood results. You maybe have more tests done down the road and see what progress you have made once you stop drinking. Good luck and please come back, this place is great for support.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lanikaye
I'm glad you found us - this is a great community, full of support

D
Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

do you have a past history of drinking alcohol?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yes I do. When we started to analyze it, monday night I think it was? we realized it was pretty much every day. With in the last 3 years, empty nesters of three kids out and gone, and we go out to dinner just about every night, as we both have full time jobs that are pretty exhausting. Neither one would want to cook. When we said that out loud it was like a punch to the gut. Never really thought about it. That's obviously going on my 'things to change" list....
Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i dont know if there is a true answer to if you drink this much for this length of time you will get or do this to your liver.
but how ever long and amount you drank, it is time to stop.
your liver does many many things to and for your body. sad thing is you only have one. going to your doctor is the best thing. often times before i go, i think of questions and i write them down cause often times i get nervous and forget them and also i write down the answers or take some one else with me to help listen.
i dont think there is any thing wrong with researching and learning about your condition on the internet. after all i think the more educated you are, the better understanding of your condition and your plan of care.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
i dont know if there is a true answer to if you drink this much for this length of time you will get or do this to your liver.
but how ever long and amount you drank, it is time to stop.
your liver does many many things to and for your body. sad thing is you only have one. going to your doctor is the best thing. often times before i go, i think of questions and i write them down cause often times i get nervous and forget them and also i write down the answers or take some one else with me to help listen.
i dont think there is any thing wrong with researching and learning about your condition on the internet. after all i think the more educated you are, the better understanding of your condition and your plan of care.
But if you do research on the internet stick to credible sources. Like webmd, but please please stay off of ***** answers and the like. Certified medical websites and that is it! But even then, what your DR has to say is import. You can research via medical websites but he sure to write down what you find out and how it might pertain to you. Be sure to ask lots of questions.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
There is the medical course of action...and the recovery one. Don't expect your health fears to carry you through sobriety. At some point we have to address the drinking and learning to live without alcohol.
What doggonecarl said is truly the most important nugget from this conversation.

Your body has amazing healing powers and your doctor will give you sound medical advice. I'm praying that this is your first step into the beautiful, life-altering journey of sobriety.

Welcome!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome, lani. Stay with SR for incredible support and lots of wisdom.