Notices

My Story

Old 10-07-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story

Hi everyone, I'm on Day 7 of recovery and still white-knuckling it, although it seems to get a little better each day.

I'm 37 and have been an alcoholic for over 10 years - seeing that typed out, it's amazing how much of my life has been spent drunk.

I won't dwell too much on the past, but I could probably have been called a "functional alcoholic" - promoted over the years - and quietly drinking myself into a stupor almost every night. I'm an introvert anyway, and not a boisterous drunk, so it was almost too easy to sneak bottles into the recycling container, hide hangovers the next morning...

...until I couldn't. I noticed my circle of friends was dwindling to almost nothing. I never wanted to risk a DUI, so why not just stay at home to drink? I also noticed the physical toll alcohol was taking on my body. I can't tell you how many near-misses I had at work: throwing up in the office restroom, throwing up in an airplane bathroom on a business trip. I knew things were spiraling out of control. But hey, I'd taken "breathers" before, so I figured I'd do it again this time. Stop drinking for a while and try to moderate after that.

Ironically, my drinking didn't make me take a hard look in the mirror - stopping did. My pushing-40 self rebelled after so many years of abuse and I got hit with withdrawals for the first time in my life. I couldn't believe what was happening: chills, tremors, sweating - and worst of all, anxiety and panic attacks that made me think I was dying. On Day 2 I had to ask to be taken to urgent care where I was given an IV of fluids and a long follow-up list for substance abuse treatment. I was humiliated, but knew I had to change. I called my family and told them I was an alcoholic. They thought I just needed to cut back - little did they know - but I realized I'd been avoiding the term "alcoholic" before because I didn't want to shut the door on not being able to drink again - ever.

So I've spent the last couple of days reading some really great posts and am so lucky to have found this forum. Everything from taking things one day at a time, to comparing alcohol to a peanut allergy - you can't "moderate" something that will kill you - really struck home. If I could add one thing, it would be a revelation I had during some really bad cravings where I thought, "I'd do anything for a whisky and Coke." That's not true. If I did have just one, would I be satisfied? No. I'd want about 6 more. As a wise person here said, if someone likes Pepsi, do they want 12 at a time? It really puts the hold addiction has on you in perspective.

I'm sorry this is so long, but it's nice to be able to share my feelings. I'm looking forward to going days without even thinking about drinking, where I don't have to consciously do meditation exercises or try to find ways to fill the time. But I know I have to take it slow, beginning with physical recovery. The "peaceful days" will have to wait for a bit.

Thanks for reading,
Drew
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff Drew. I look forward to getting to know you better in the weeks to come. Day 7 here too.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Drew...welcome to SR....lots of support here. I read posts at night when I feel like drinking...it helps with a combination of tea and keeping busy, for me. Good luck!!
Old 10-07-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Drew! I can completely relate to your post, especially the dichotomy between appearing functional and living an empty shell of a life. I think it was probably a blessing for you to go to urgent care and have to face your addiction head-on.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Weatherman. I am at the same crossroads of life as you. I just turned 38, been an alcoholic for about 10 years too. I waited too long and lost everything before I got help. You made a wise choice to finally put an end to the madness.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Weatherman, to SR and congratulations on Day 7. The day I found SR was a very lucky day for me, also.

Again, welcome.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on seven days Weatherman hang in there. It gets better and better.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome, Drew. I get it.

I'm really happy you're here and on your way to a deeper, richer, happier, more joyous life.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. This place has helped me accomplish many sober days.

It has been here for my ups and downs too. Recovery is tough. It takes work to stop drinking and to STAY stopped.

Just in my experience anyway...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Very well written. Thank you.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on the first of many sober weeks.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story, Weatherman! I could relate to it a lot. I'm an introvert too, so it was all too easy to start shutting myself off from people and the world in favour of alcohol. Now, three months into sobriety, I'm back and it feels very liberating.

It's wonderful that you decided to stop for good. Life gets so much better when you do! Welcome to the forum, it's a great place for support and inspiration. Stay here and read and post a lot, it really helps.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Drew. For what it's worth, your story sounds very similar to mine. I quit drinking 2+ years ago at age 37 also. Like you, I'd also begun drinking at home, and saw my friends dwindle. And, like you, I also maintained a job and had been promoted through the years and on the outside looked successful.

You are making the right move. In my case, I got worse before I got better and started having seizures - much to the shock and horror of my remaining friends and my family. The only way out of this is to stop consuming alcohol all together. When I found SR I was just beginning my journey as well. In my experience, having a forum like this to share your story with others who have similar experiences is extremely helpful. We are here to support you in this journey! I know it sucks right now, but please lean on this forum for assistance, for coping skills, or just to vent. It's a great resource. Again, welcome Drew!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you join us Drew! You've found a wonderful place for friendship and encouragement. We look forward to walking with you on this journey.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome drew. You came to a great place. Congratulations on becoming a sober human.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. I hope to repay the support I've received someday.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome to the island of misfit toys!! We needed a Drew and it's you!
Good news - you never have to drink again.

Willingness and desire to be sober above all else is the key that unlocks the gate!

Welcome aboard....Glad you're here!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Around Day 7 here as well. Ended up in the ER last week. Good luck Weatherman. We can do it!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome, Drew!