AH discharging tomorrow

Old 10-06-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH discharging tomorrow

My AH is being discharged tomorrow. He will be going to The Turning Point in Georgia for his inpatient rehab. This facility IS a dual treatment facility. He will receive psychiatric treatment in addition to the alcohol rehab.

Why would I feel so nervous all of a sudden? It feels like my heart is racing!!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

While he is getting help, you need to work on you. Go to Alanon meetings. You can find one in your area. Go to as many as you can.

If you can get some counseling do that. Please dont expect perfection when he gets out. His sobriety is for him only, not you. Take this time and work on you, don't worry about him as he is a big boy. Read and keep reading at SR.

Bamawife, take care of yourself and don't consider him being sober, the only thing that will make you happy.

Good luck and I hope he truly succeeds in recovery (my husband never even made it, still actively drinking)
Old 10-06-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is very good! It is quite likely his alcoholism is simply self medication for his other issues, which a dual diagnosis facility will address. I hope you take the time that he is away to focus on you, and your needs.

Very glad to hear this!

XXX
Old 10-06-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

these are some big changes coming down the pike....he is at least going to be in a place where HELP is offered. whether he takes it remains to be seen. this also means that while he is getting help. you are now kind of left in an exposed position.....it really wasn't all sunshine and roses.....in fact the whole thing became quite the calamitous mess!!! and now you are left with....YOU. sort of like a first date..........
Old 10-06-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bamawife.....one step at a time.....one day at a time.....

dandylion
Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Bamawife View Post
My AH is being discharged tomorrow. He will be going to The Turning Point in Georgia for his inpatient rehab. This facility IS a dual treatment facility. He will receive psychiatric treatment in addition to the alcohol rehab.

Why would I feel so nervous all of a sudden? It feels like my heart is racing!!!!
Dunno. Maybe that is what Happiness or Hope or something feels like?

Like I say -- Dunno.

Sort of odd that we have learned to think so upside down we cannot accept good when it is offered to us.

Had a Cat like that. He was so annoying I called him DA. Stood for Dumb Ass. He had been in a pen at a shelter for nine months -- when we let him loose in the large warehouse where we lived, it felt so un-natural to him, he climbed up inside our player piano . . . so he could feel caged in . . . . and would only come out once or twice a day for food, water and the potty.

Took him weeks to feel okay in the big building.

Well, if you cannot feel it -- maybe let us share it with you? I for one feel Happy and Hopeful for your family getting the full (needed) Dual Diagnosis treatment. Wish we had gotten that.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Bamawife.....one step at a time.....one day at a time.....

dandylion
I am currently operating one hour at a time. My emotions are all over the place.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was where you at just over 2.5 years ago... My husband went into a non 12 step rehab based on private therapy.. lots of therapy as I suspect your husband will get being dual diagnosis. I really feel for you right now because I remember how scared I was, the range of emotions that I felt.. hope, anger, fear, maybe it was too late for him, for us... I can say from my experience expect a lot of emotions and take it day by day as your doing...

The rehab where my husband was assigned me my own therapist, and because it was out of state I used Skype to have sessions with her. About half way through his 90 day stay I moved closer to his rehab in order to do marriage counseling with him, and continue my own therapy.

Working with my husband in ways the rehab directed really brought us closer together and sped up the healing between us. He came home after rehab.. their goal was to return him into a stable family environment and it took a bit of work to get through our issues... my therapist told me in my own way I had suffered a trauma due to the experiences Id had.. and there was no physical abuse between us.. just the shock, emotional pain .

I don't know what your husband's rehab will offer, but please check into it when you feel up to doing so. My therapist also introduced me to the CRAFT method which you can google if your unfamiliar.. it helped me a lot with supporting his early recovery in healthy positive ways.. and also allowed me to focus on myself and my own goals, and cant forget my son.. he was an infant at the time.

I am very happy to hear your husband is getting dual diagnosis treatment... proper treatment for individual issues /root cause is very important in my opinion.. not everyone gets it unfortunately.

I will be sending up prayers for your family.