Notices

Views on straight edge?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Views on straight edge?

Hi folks, I have been fascinated by the straight edge movement for a couple of years now and just wondered what other folk thought of it?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

never heard of it....
Old 10-06-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

What is it?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Can't say I've heard of it either, care to share?
Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

that was around when i was a kid. it's young people..teenagers and 20 somethings that decide they want to be drug and alcohol free for their life. i don't know if it was an Mtv thing or what but it never seemed to catch on and i haven't heard the term in about 15 years or so
Old 10-06-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It was born out of punk in 1981 and a band called minor threat is said to have created it.
Straight edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-06-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Straight Edge refers to a subculture of hardcore punk which was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, and excess associated with punk rock. Since the late 1970s, straight edge has been a part of the punk scene. During that time, a wide variety of beliefs and ideas have been incorporated into straight edge including vegetarianism, animal rights, communism. In many parts of the United States, straight edge is treated as a gang; however, recent studies suggest that only a small minority of the people who refer to themselves as straight edge are violent.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
There are some militant straight edge, but that was really more in the early 80s. I wasn't involved in the movement but I think it's interesting because the subculture is very rebellious and the music is very hardcore, but they don't use alcohol or drugs and they often also eschew sexual promiscuity. The front man from Rage used to be sXe.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've always admired the straight-edge folks. I think it's cool for younger kids climbing toward adulthood. Even if they're not involved in straight-edge, lots of kids are aware of that ongoing movement that eschews drinking and drugging and I think that awareness is a good thing....."it's cool to not drink and not do drugs". Back when I was at my worst I admired what they had and their beliefs. I actually thought about the straight-edge movement when I was sobering up and it just helped affirm my new found convictions that I should stay sober. Lots of cool music from straight-edgers....
Old 10-06-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I haven't heard that term since I went to college in the 90s and people declared themselves straight edge because of all the raves. Don't have an opinion one way or another, just hadn't heard about it since then.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Only from the lyrics of Minor Threat. I didn't really think about the lyrics when I was into them 15 years ago, I just liked the raw, fast, intense music.

Aside from no alcohol and drugs, they are vegan. I remember one time a straight edge friend of my sisters was visiting us. He sneaked into the kitchen and turned off the oven where a turkey was being roasted. Annoyed everyone there. All that guy ate was potato chips.