Notices

Drunk or simply a Lush???

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Drunk or simply a Lush???

My 28 year old daughter has a close friend recently married.

Daughter spent weekend with these folks. Last night I inquired how was the visit? She replied - let's call him Slim / the husband - was a lush. Behavior, while not totally obnoxious, teetered around being a malcontented, misanthropic individual.

I purposefully have not looked up the Webster definitions of Drunk vs. Lush as I am more curious about the cultural definitions from around the SR globe. Or, perhaps another term than lush used across the pond vs drunk?

In your experience, does the term lush = drunk? Or, can / does a lush evolve into a drunk = alcoholic, for our purposes here?

Maybe lush is simply a nicer term??

Your thoughts please......
Fly
Old 10-06-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was called both in my drinking days. They mean the same thing to me.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't find it helpful to focus on labels. It might be helpful for your daughter to consider spending time with her friend, without the husband involved.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think all the terms are relative to your exposure to alcohol. If you were brought up in a family where the folks drank wine with dinner, and then had after dinner cocktails and dad would drink beer on weekends, then I think people are more apt to call a person a lush. If you were brought up in an atmosphere void of drinking and then see someone drink quite a but and perhaps get drunk, then they are an alcoholic.

In my experience a person was termed, "he really likes to drink", or he is a heavy drinker; when they drank too much and nothing of consequence happens. Once something bad happens, fights, DWI, abuse etc, then they get the term alcoholic. Seems dirtier I guess.

I do think that the lush or drinks a lot term eventually evolves into the category of alcoholic. However lots of people stop drinking at the end of stages of their lives. College, Grad school, being single, having kids. I know people who used to drink a lot who now don't drink at all.

Still wonder however, what your brother did to make him worse?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

I always saw it kind of like this~

Lush - LIKES to drink a lot
Drunk - HAS to drink a lot

But, I try not to use those terms myself...especially lush. But that's how I'd define those terms if I had to.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think name-calling is helpful to no one- you, your daughter, daughter's friend, and even DF's husband. If it is difficult to be around someone, for whatever reason, your D can/has to decide if it is worth it. Also, if she really enjoys being around her friend, but the husband is a problem, perhaps she can voice this, gently), to her friend. It might be a 'final straw' with the wife in reconizing a problem/confirming something you already knows, or pushing her to act in some positive way to her situation.

It might also, if/when brought up to the hubby, be HIS wake-up call that 'this is now affecting more than just me- it is impacting my wife'- if that were to have happened/been brought to my attention, knowing me it likely would have brought me to sobriety months/years sooner. But that is just me.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

While I was growing up in high school and then college, 'lush' was used to describe that person at the party who was more drunk than everyone else. The person who slammed back the booze, vomited in the back garden, then passed out on the couch all before midnight.

It didn't really refer to someone who was an alcoholic since most alcoholics can handle their booze. But a party with young adults will usually have a few people who may not drink very often so when they drink too much they become the 'falling down drunk'.

I haven't heard the term 'lush' so much since my college days. I guess the the term is relative, but a 'lush' could be anyone who is drunk and showing it.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Still wonder however, what your brother did to make him worse?
Ha! you're the first to ever ask.....

My oldest brother is a motion picture actor. At a funeral for a friend ( another actor who we all know) it was a exactly as expected - interesting folks to say the least.

One guy told a joke.....

An Irish priest assigned to a new parish was immediately called to duty with the death of a less than friendly parishioner. The priest having not known the departed asked the guests to share something of the deceased.

As I did not know John, please share something about him with us ....the priest asked.

Dead silence.

Priest became a little nervous - please, please I know we don't like to share in these moments - it's difficult for all of us. But someone start us off with a few kind words......

Silence.

The priest is now high agitated.

Somebody, must have Something to say about brother John!!!!

Finally, after a long pause a fella in the back raises his hand.
Ah, yes brother - share something with us about John.

The gent stands, clears his throat and ponders......Finally he says -

Well, His Brother was Worse!

( at the funeral for the actor, people then openly shared stories about their friend......)

peace
Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't want to be either one of those things.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lush, to me, is an old-fashioned term. I've never heard it used in real life-- just in 1930s-60s media (film, tv, books, etc.) I think of Otis, the town drunk on "The Andy Griffith Show" as a lush, not real people.

I must be sheltered or something!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Hobbers View Post
I think name-calling is helpful to no one- you, your daughter, daughter's friend, and even DF's husband. If it is difficult to be around someone, for whatever reason, your D can/has to decide if it is worth it. Also, if she really enjoys being around her friend, but the husband is a problem, perhaps she can voice this, gently), to her friend. It might be a 'final straw' with the wife in reconizing a problem/confirming something you already knows, or pushing her to act in some positive way to her situation.

It might also, if/when brought up to the hubby, be HIS wake-up call that 'this is now affecting more than just me- it is impacting my wife'- if that were to have happened/been brought to my attention, knowing me it likely would have brought me to sobriety months/years sooner. But that is just me.

Not sure where it asks anything about what you think my daughter should do...

Simply, the thread is about the usage of words and their the cultural meaning.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I always think of a lush as a term referring to a woman, for some reason..."that girl" at a party who is loud, sloppy, passes out, etc.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
I always think of a lush as a term referring to a woman, for some reason..."that girl" at a party who is loud, sloppy, passes out, etc.
Hmmm, ya know what - Yea. Seems to perhaps have some gender identification, I agree.

I knew when I posted this some responses would be predictable - it's not helpful, no label stuff. I get that and respect those.

However, there is some cognitive exploration in this, I contend - that may help someone who is a newcomer.

Perhaps the reflections from all - whether dismissive or genuinely addressed will cause one person enough thought to start sobriety.

Wow, Am I a lush or drunk....What does that mean, does it matter.....???
THIS is the purpose of the post.....to instigate reflection.

Thanks for your response

peace
Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Me? I've been tipsy, tea-totaling, falling down drunk, wasted, buzzed, schnockered, looped, ship-faced, derelict and a few not-so-nice terms that describe under-the-influence. I'm just James w/out the booze.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm not sure cognitive exploration of these terms would necessarily benefit anyone in terms of ending an addiction to a substance, but words and their subtle connotations are interesting to me. Where I'm from (southern US), lush almost always describes a female and is a more old-fashioned term. Similar to how my grandmother may have used the word "floozy" when describing someone who is promiscuous.

In the evolution of our language, terms like lush, drunk, junkie, barfly, crackwh*re, etc are usually perceived as derisive terms meant to belittle and demean. What value they have and what purpose they serve in a sociological sense is probably debatable.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

To me its six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm an alcoholic no matter what you want to call it.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I'm not sure cognitive exploration of these terms would necessarily benefit anyone in terms of ending an addiction to a substance, but words and their subtle connotations are interesting to me. Where I'm from (southern US), lush almost always describes a female and is a more old-fashioned term. Similar to how my grandmother may have used the word "floozy" when describing someone who is promiscuous.

What value they have and what purpose they serve in a sociological sense is probably debatable.
SL - thank you for your thoughts....
I found it of some interest this popped up in a 28 year olds vernacular. Somehow it seemed for daughter less vile than other terms.

Yes, we might have debate on the fruitfulness of derogatory terms another day as they relate to self awareness in ones journey.

There is value to recovery, I contend.

I too live in the Deep South - 30 years

peace
Old 10-06-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

what does malcontent. misnatropic have to do with being a drunk or somebody that is drunk?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A drunk and lush are synonymous in my mind. I'd consider both to have a drinking problem that should be addressed. Although, I've rarely heard the word lush used and I've always considered it gender neutral. It seems to be a word that has some cultural influences.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You've got me thinking Flynbuy.... My BIL called me a lush over 20 years ago! He was spot on!