Notices

A trip to chianti today... sober!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A trip to chianti today... sober!

Hi everyone, I haven't checked in much this week as I have been flat out exhausted.
I am not sure if it is general withdrawals or the antabuse, but I have barely been able to stay awake. I think it is the antabuse and I have dropped my dosage down, hoping that it helps some.
I reamin so thankful for this medication though. It certainly hasn't taken away the cravings, but I am no longer in a position to give into them. Working through them with the support of the antabuse has been proving helpful.
I had a bit of a rough spot last night when my boyfriend and I went for a pizza. He has been so supportive and has for the most part cut out drinking around me. Last night he asked me if it was ok if he ordered a beer with his pizza and I said it was fine, beer was never my drink of choice. I did find myself glancing at the glasses of wine around the restaurant though. The craving passed quickly though.
Today we went with his sister and her family to chianti of all places. His nephew is working in a vineyard there so we went to see him. We went to a nice restaurant and ordered pasta with wild boar and a steak. They ordered wine with the meal and that was tough for me, I can't lie. But the antabuse helped me stay strong. We then walked through the town where they were having an "antique bike race" (a bunch of hipsters on old bikes) and miles and miles of wine tastings. I am so glad I am not drinking now. I could just see myself insisting on the tasting (no one else seemed remotely interested, they just wanted to walk and enjoy the day) and then getting drunk and obnoxious. Not today. My worst cravings actually came on the way home in the car. I was really having terrible cravings for wine. But I am home now, ready for bed on my 7th day of sobriety. Today I really put into practice the idea of "playing the tape through" as I have seen here mentioned so many times. Every time I had a craving, even though I knew I wouldnt' drink because of the antabuse- I played the tape through and thought "yes, one glass of wine would be nice, but it would never end with one" and thought about how miserable I would feel being tipsy and how terribly I would want more wine, to the point of taking over the plans for the day to get around more wine, how I would drink too much and make a fool of myself, how miserable I'd feel the next day. It wasn't pleasant, but it was helpful.
I'm so thankful for this new tool I have and hope as I face various situations with the "protection" of the medication I can build up those sober muscles that everyone keeps talking about.
Off to bed now, enjoy the rest of your evenings. I hope to be around more this week if I can stay with it enough!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

Jeez I hate to have to be the one to break this to you but.. you are probably gonna be sore tomorrow. Good sore though, from all that sober muscle building stuff you just did! Way to go! Rest well !!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 7 days Mera you can do this !

Goodnight