Notices

O'Douls/other NA's?

Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O'Douls/other NA's?

hi all,

what are people's experiences, at social events/parties/etc with drinking O'Douls and such things? They any good? get any/any additional **** for drinking them? A Safe fallback at certain events? A trigger?

First, before 12 of you say 'it still has SOME alcohol!', I am not a moron, and know that there is some. For those that do NOT know, sauerkraut has more in it though, as does any non-pasteurized juice left sit even an hour on a table exposed to air, and many other foods in your daily life). I don't really need to hear that. I am looking for answers to the other questions.

not planning to have any today/soon. just a buddy was planning to drink some today, and it made me think of those questions.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't drink NA beer, I thought about it when I got Sober, but voted against it.

The reason being, if I was going to drink something non alcoholic why not have something really tasty and refreshing, I never drank beer for the taste, much of it was awful, which is why I graduated to spirits, more alcohol in less volume, and I could mix it with something that tasted good.

So with loads of different flavours out there, fruit juices, green teas, non alcoholic cocktails etc, for me why limit myself back to the taste of beer?!!

. . . my 2 cents!!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had some twice over the summer- not a social function, just a treat. I like the taste of beer. I can see where maybe repetitive slamming could lead to switching but I am not going for the buzz or fitting in. No urges to do it regularly.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, drinking anything that tasted like beer would drive me crazy. I never drank beer for the taste either. I like the taste of Pepsi but I never drink 12 in one evening. Lol. Could you imagine? If I tried non-alcoholic beer I feel like I would want to drink 12. Sheesh. No thank you!
Old 10-05-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank beer and alcohol to get drunk. There's been times beer has tasted great to me but if it didn't have alcohol I'd never drink it. Crazy calories too. I like soda water and lime.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is an oft-discussed topic here, and sometimes a very controversial/sensitive one. For the most part it's really your decision to make. I drank NA beer during periods of abstinence, and for me it led me back to real beer almost every time. My addiction told me that if I just had one regular beer and drank the rest NA, I would be fine. Then it was two, and pretty soon back to all regular beer.

Redarding taste, It's pretty horrible compared to regular beer. There are many other drinks that are far more flavorful.

Regarding social events, you will be pleasantly surprised that the vast majority couldn't care less what you are (or aren't) drinking. Only alcoholics obsess about that.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've always believed if you have to ask don't do it.
Over the past 15 years, I've drank a few at social occasions .

To thine own self be true
Old 10-05-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think if you had a real love for beer and the intoxication that comes with it, then stay away.

But if you got sober for more drug related reasons, and feel comfortable with it, and have sober time, then its ok.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup, controversial enough that I was reticent about posting, but speaking my truth won.

I am a beer drinker. As a matter of fascination to many of my alcoholic kin on the 12 step rooms, I managed to have a fully horrific journey into alcoholism solely on beer & wine (I meet a lot more like me on this site than I do in AA, in that regard).

My thought on NA beer is that it is the especially sharp & semi- dangerous tool in my sobriety toolbox that I use when necessary. I've drank NA beers probably less than 10 times through about 12 years of (added together, not contiguous) sobriety. At those times, they were absolutely the right tool for me. I use them when I'm invited to a party or a bar, and just want the having a beer experience of being in said bar without getting drunk.

Mostly in the past when I've been playing music in a bar.

They don't taste like good beer. I've never wanted more than a couple. They haven't ever made me desire drinking alcohol again.

I've heard people say that the shape of the bottle in your hand, or the smell, can trigger.
I don't feel that any differently than the shape of a root beer bottle.

I quit drinking because I don't like being drunk. I am scared of the things that happen to me & from me. I abstain rather than moderate because my experience is that I cannot moderate; a couple of beers in, all bets are off. NA beer is not going to get me drunk, and since it won't, I wouldn't drink it regularly or to excess.

This is only my experience, and I know most abstainers don't share this philosophy. My prior sponsor (in a previous city) was ok with it, it hasnt come up where I live now, so I don't know how my current sponsor feels about it.

The times I drank NA beer were moments so associated with beer drinking that I didn't feel like I could approach them as happily & confidently otherwise, so would have avoided the experience, something I don't want to do in sobriety.

Many sober folks would say - if an event is that associated with drinking for you, just don't go, it is too dangerous to your sobriety. I prefer to just try, with my heavy toolbox in hand, and if the situation works because I drink an NA beer then yaay! If it doesn't, I leave. Mind you, the times I've gone back out have not been predicated by situations like those (joy, social sharing, etc), but by lonliness.

Just my thoughts; I am aware that I'm in the minority.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Personally, i love na beers. I like coors, odouls, st paulis. Ginger beer (na) has been my drug of choice. A good one has a great bite to it. Social situations are easier for me if i am drinking something. Force of habit maybe. However, it helps if i am doing something. Also, herbal teas have been a big thing for me. Man i look forward to a bedtime chamomille mor than a happy hour beer. Recovering alky or maybe just getting old. Who knows. All for the best.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I do drink NA on occasion, mostly when I'm going through a rough patch. I started doing this around 6 months of sobriety. They've never led me toward drinking, quite the opposite actually. I find they tend to set me straight as I always rejoice sobriety the next morning when I see the recycling bin.

My favorites are: Buckler and Clausthaler Amber. These two brands (from Whole Foods & Trader Joes respectively) actually taste good.

I know it's an individual thing and some people are really triggered by them, but for me its a valuable tool that has helped me through challenging periods of temptation.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What about the na wine? Although, for me, I could see that being a trigger...I just can't imagine a steak dinner without a nice glass of red
Old 10-05-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'd stay away personally, it's just a tease and juice water or soda will taste better
Old 10-05-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

my usual post of experience:

My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?
D
Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Haven't even thought about it. Anything that resembled the smell or taste would make me drink alcohol. I've known it since day 1 and I won't risk it. Water is better for me.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

If they made na Bass Ale or Guiness, I'd try'em, but I think I would prefer my own sweet tea, or at least a nice cold Pepsi(with sugar, wtf is with cornsyrup?)
Old 10-05-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

They were a trigger for my father. I just had a conversation with him about it today actually. He's been helping me get sober myself. Anyway, they do have alcohol in them, not enough to get a buzz but enough to be a trigger for some. He'd go a few weeks on them, decide he could handle "a beer" then a few, then a few and a bottle of liquor, then... well you know the rest. I'd be careful!!
Old 10-05-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
my usual post of experience:

D
It's simple for me, I was a beer aficionado, yes I did drink beer for the taste and quality of the beer. However, I am also an alcoholic. I know this sounds strange but I can drink NA without any triggers and any problems. My alcoholism is not triggered unless I drink something with enough alcohol as to give me an initial rush. Once that happens all bets are off. So yes there are people who can drink NA without problem and it helps me if I want to have a beer experience without getting drunk. The only way to to tell if it's a trigger for anyone is to try one. Of course if it sets you off on a drinking binge you know the answer and it's not for you. However, I'm not responsible for anyone getting back on the drink so I guess there's no real easy way to advice on. If I were to give a recommendation I would only recommend NA to people who drank beer for the taste and quality plus getting drunk. If you drank beer solely to get plastered every single time and didn't really care for the taste, then stay off NA. Did that make sense? Lol.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No.

I've actually become calorie conscious.

Bunnez
Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
waking down

******,*******, and ***** **** were my faves but even the best na beers are just a hollow tease for someone who used to enjoy quality microbrews. This time around I've avoided them and though I loved good red wine I can't imagine na wines are much more than overpriced grape juice with flavorings... My cocktail these days is seltzer or club soda with a twist. People mostly don't notice and don't care if I'm drinking or not.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-05-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: see below, thanks :)