Notices

1.75 a day

Old 10-04-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1.75 a day

The title refers to the amount of alcohol I have been consuming as of late. I go through roughly a handle (1.75 liter bottle) of whiskey per day. Yes I understand this is a ridiculous amount to be drinking but it is what it is. I drink all throughout the day but don't get drunk until the evening hours. Somehow I have managed to hold down work in construction (drywall), which allows me to drink while working

Im 34 yrs old and have been drinking since I was 16, and at this level for the past 4 years. Not sure how much longer I can keep this up and am really readyt o quit, but my brain says gimme that booze

I tried quitting a few weeks ago but after 2 days I was experiencing major withdrawal symptoms including the shakes and hallucinations so I quickly chugged down some whiskey to avoid a seizure. I'm drinknig right now and have been since 5am this morning. Actually I never stop drinking because I;'ll wake up in the middle of the night and have a few swigs so I can fall back asleep.

Basically I'm just asking what would be the best way to stop this maddness? I've been doing it too long and feel my body starting to become weak and hurt. Thanks for any support/suggestions ahead of time.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi younganddumb, and welcome. It sounds like you are definitely ready to quit, but if you had hallucinations and serious withdrawals, you should go to the doctor or ER before trying again. I'm sorry you're struggling, but I'm happy for you that you're ready to stop. I wish you the very best of luck...please keep posting and hang in there.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wow you sound just like me if you swapped the whiskey for vodka there isnt much diffrence

1L .5 32 years old started drinking young was drinking litres for around 4-5 years....

I am v.close to 15 months sober you can do it you just gotta do it and want to do it

this forum & the support it contains is ledgendary

wishing you all the luck in the world msg me add me if you want to talk

well done on finding sr

Welcome
Old 10-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's important to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol because it can be dangerous.

It's also a good idea to have a plan for how you intend to recover, some sort of support system.

I'm glad that you're ready to stop drinking!
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is a lot of alcohol on a daily basis. You need a medically supervised detox. You won't be able to do it alone at home unsupervised. A detox facility or hospital are you only options if you really want to quit because I would guess with 100% certainty that you are alcohol dependent and could face severe alcohol withdrawal.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't been to the doctor since I was 18 yrs old, a bit scared to go in and actually confirm the damage that has been done. Usually I just bury myhead in the sand and hope it will go away and drink more, but I know this will never work.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

Hey younganddumb. Been there, done that. I did the ER/hospital thing and although it wasn't pleasant, I highly recommend it. It's a good way to start recovery. I realize it sounds dramatic, but it's not as dramatic as severe withdrawal.

I wish you well on your journey.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About 10 years ago I was going through a fifth of vodka a day when I was between jobs. The days ran together so I don't know how many they were. I eventually cut back to just beer with the occasional shot of something.

I've been able to "quit" 3 times since coming off the hard stuff (one wasn't a serious attempt) without major withdrawal symptoms. Sure they're unpleasant as hell, but no shakes or seizures. If he can't get medical help would weaning off the whiskey be helpful?

Good luck YaD.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I found a no-cost, inpatient detox program. It was by no means plush, but the discomforts distracted me from withdrawal symptoms. I think you should look into something like this before drinking again.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Young,

I was at a fifth a day. I had a friend just die of chirrosis at 41 from drinking much less than us. Stop the damage to your body now by quitting. I agree with others that if you had severe withdrawal symptoms, medical detox is probably in order, but it will save your life. I wish you the best.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The importance of getting medical advise in your case CANNOT be underestmated.

On the positive side, you can detox with medical help in the least dangerous and most comfortable way. But you need to take the action.

All the best to you.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.

God news that you want to be sober.Please seek medical advice,withdrawals can be dangerous.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by younganddumb View Post
I haven't been to the doctor since I was 18 yrs old, a bit scared to go in and actually confirm the damage that has been done. Usually I just bury myhead in the sand and hope it will go away and drink more, but I know this will never work.
yeah not going to the doctor won't make any damage go away

You'll likely find, as many of us did, that there's nothing wrong that a little time and sobriety can't put right.

In any case, the importance of a Dr's input here is about detox. It can be dangerous.

You were drinking a lot, and your withdrawal symptoms indicate that seeing a Dr really would be the best route for your withdrawal.

You do not want to be going through the DTs or having seizures.

D
Old 10-04-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See a Dr. before you stop drinking!! With the amount you have been consuming, the withdrawal symptoms will show up just hours after your last drink. Don't mess around..be completely honest with the doctor, they've heard it all before..they just want to help you. You won't be sorry, I know I wasn't.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well I called the local clinic in my area today and scheduled a physical. This will get me in the door to seeing a doctor and once I'm there I will come clean about my drinking patterns and desire toquit - this cycle has gone on far too long and I'm really getting sick of it,and I know my body is too. I have my appt. scheduled for Monday 5PM - will the dioctor care if I show up half-drunk already? Seeing as I drink almost every hour of the day it's hard for me to be completely sober at any given time. I drive while drinking most every day and have been lucky up to this point - no DUI or legal trouble, but I know this could change in an instant. I could get a friend to take me to the appointment so the doctor will know I am not driving drunk. Sorry about these weird questions I just have anxiety about a lot of different **** and I"m pretty toasted right now as it is.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure your Dr has seen half drunk people before.. in fact if you can't sober up for a Drs visit maybe it's a good thing?

Nothing to hide and you can really discuss your options?
Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

young- I want to just wish you my support- it sounds like you have a plan. Good for you.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The amount that you have admitted to drinking on a daily basis is pretty staggering and I’m not surprised that you were starting to feel the physical effects of all that booze. I am so glad to hear that you've decided to seek medical help for your addiction. Best of luck at your appointment on Monday; and yes, get a ride with a friend.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Just another day...

You really want them to check your blood when you go in. You will be amazed at how depleted your are of vitamins. Im sure they will check your Lipase and Amylase..those are used for your pancreas. Us alcoholics can destroy that little organ that we so desperately need. Im battling not losing mine. Id go in how your normally are on a day to day basis. I think this will give the doctor everything they need to help you. Maybe offer you a rehab program. Please keep us posted. You have my support as well.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Go For It! You'll feel so relieved; don't worry about the Dr. reaction, it's no big deal to them, and they're smart enough not to be judgemental. It sounds like you're already off to a great start in knowing the consequences that await if you don't take action.