learned something new for taxes

Old 10-03-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

learned something new for taxes

yesterday I ran into our friend who also does our taxes (he's an accountant.) (Every yr I dutifully save all our medical receipts but he tells us that unless it is more than 10% of our earnings it can't be a deductible. It has never been even close to that. )

Well this yr we have paid 2x for AH rehab as it was a private facility. I asked our friend if rehab counts as a medical expense and it does! He also checked further into it and we can deduct mileage for AA meetings as well! I already knew that therapists, dr's and dentist mileage was a deductible but AA, wow! Also any medical expenses that were not covered/we paid for his 3 times in detox.

Wanted to share in case anyone else was in a similar situation.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi KidsR#1, this is a helpful topic to bring up.

Here are the details about medical deductions for alcoholism-related expenses. The mileage for AA meetings has a bit more to it.

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay for an inpatient's treatment at a therapeutic center for alcohol addiction. This includes meals and lodging provided by the center during treatment.

You can also include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to and from Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in your community if the attendance is pursuant to medical advice that membership in Alcoholics Anonymous is necessary for the treatment of a disease involving the excessive use of alcoholic liquors.

I'm a CPA. This is from the IRS publication 502, Medical & Dental Expenses.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"You can also include in medical expenses amounts you pay for transportation to and from Alcoholics Anonymous meetings in your community if the attendance is pursuant to medical advice that membership in Alcoholics Anonymous is necessary for the treatment of a disease involving the excessive use of alcoholic liquors."

Very interesting, perhaps all rehabs should be providing tax information from the IRS with the information 53500 provided.

Thank you!