Any gay men that I can talk to?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any gay men that I can talk to?

I am so alone and going crazy
Old 10-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You might want to try GLBTQ in Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information also.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can't find responses here you might find help through this link?

GLBT National Help Center

D
Old 10-03-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

We generally do not talk about sexual things here but if you are having problems with alcohol then you have come to the right place. You will find lots of support here for alcohol recovery!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not gay - but you can talk to me. Still am anxious, irrational, vulnerable, insecure, selfish, etc. despite my sexual orientation. Give me a shot?
Old 10-03-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

trying,
you're limiting the field of support drastically

many here have felt so alone and going crazy and might know just what that place is like and what has helped them get out of it.

getting engaged and connecting with others has been the mainstay of my sobriety.

good to see you posting, reaching out.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post
Welcome to SR!

We generally do not talk about sexual things here but if you are having problems with alcohol then you have come to the right place. You will find lots of support here for alcohol recovery!
SC this is not strictly true.

Soberrecovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions and help for family and friends whos lives have been affected by someone else's addiction. Although we care about everyone and all the issues our members struggle with we feel that some topics can cause damage to those who are trying to recover on our forums. Posts with serious suicide threats, details of sexual abuse, and details of sexual addiction are many times too much of a trigger for some of our members and can trigger a relapse in recovery. General discussions are welcome.
No offence, I just wanted to make that clear to everyone so noone feels unwelcome

Trying - I know your situation...I think the link I gave you will provide people to talk/text/IM to about your problem

D
Old 10-03-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to see you here Trying - I hope you'll stay with us.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi trying! Mom of gay son, not sure it helps, hang in!!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We do have some gay members that post frequently. I'm straight myself but as Dee says everyone is welcome at SR.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

Originally Posted by SoberComposer View Post

We generally do not talk about sexual things
Maybe I should let this go, but nah.

Just b/c someone is seeking someone out who has, perhaps, the same sexual orientation does NOT mean the conversation is about "sexual things." Maybe they just feel more comfortable with someone who shares a similar identity.

However, I have seen a few threads over the last couple years actually that DO address sexual matters (as Dee pointed out).

Finally, it seems that the OP wanted to discuss something in private anyway.

I just had to get that out. If a straight dude wanted to talk something out with another straight dude, would the presumption automatically be that it is about sex? Nope.

I hope you're feeling better and have found some support, trying4now.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi, trying4now, wish I could help, but I'm not a gay man. I do understand what it's like to be in pain and conflict over my sexuality, and what it's like to feel alone. I would be glad to listen.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Trying4Now, welcome

Bunnez
Old 10-04-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Maybe I should let this go, but nah.

Just b/c someone is seeking someone out who has, perhaps, the same sexual orientation does NOT mean the conversation is about "sexual things." Maybe they just feel more comfortable with someone who shares a similar identity.

However, I have seen a few threads over the last couple years actually that DO address sexual matters (as Dee pointed out).

Finally, it seems that the OP wanted to discuss something in private anyway.

I just had to get that out. If a straight dude wanted to talk something out with another straight dude, would the presumption automatically be that it is about sex? Nope.

I hope you're feeling better and have found some support, trying4now.
This! Nothing about the OP indicates that he ways to talk about sex. I don't know just what's on his mind, but there are common experiences among many of us in the LGBT community -- shame, ostracism, pressure. According to studies, drinking problems in the gay community are as much as three times the rate in the straight world. We have much more to talk about than sex.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

thanks, Ophelia, for that statement. i wanted to point that out, too, the so-frequent-assumption and stereotype and then couldn't think of the words to put it simply. you did it wonderfully.

trying4now, hope you're feeling better.
lots of different places here on SR to connect.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Trying, I think I have read most of your posts. And, coincidentally, I have also been logged on most of the times you posted.

I have found that SoberRecovery is very useful at solving a wide variety of issues if I use the forum effectively. Thus, I need to become involved in threads that are interesting to me--I can always find something. Involvement can be just reading, or posting also. Right now, for example, there is a weekend thread going on--and there is no reason that I can't bring up deeply personal problems which I may be facing at the moment. Well, you might look at the thread and read about people's doing laundry or cooking bacon. But there are other battles these folks might be fighting--often it has been previously shared here at SoberRecovery. And we know that everyone here is fighting the battle of sobriety, so my point is that there is nothing you can't share here. Cooking bacon can be just as much a victory of sobriety as marital problems are a challenge.

I really, sincerely, hope to hear MORE from you!
Old 11-06-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone- and no its not about sex- its about someone who gets it that I can talk to especially one-one
Old 11-06-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, trying,

Welcome! You might also try giving your local AA Intergroup a call. There are LGBTQ groups in many places.