Things that make you go, "Ewww Yuck!"

Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Things that make you go, "Ewww Yuck!"

In another thread, I received a reply that reminded me of how certain things I used to like, I no longer do, because it reminds me of my AH drinking. The poster said country music, and I had to agree on that very same thing! I used to love country music, but not only does a majority of country songs talk about drinking like it should just be a "given" in any down to earth, laid back, easy going, persons life; my AH used to listen to it incessantly during his drunken stupors. Now I only like two country artists, and if any of the songs they sing mention drinking at all, it's more about the "devastation" it caused rather than how great drinking is.
My dad was also an alcoholic and my mom can no longer stand eating lobster, because once in a drunken stupor, my dad cooked some lobster and then proceeded to slaughter it trying to find some "organ" like the liver I think??? All because he "heard" it was a delicacy. There was green and black slime running down his chin and all over his hands running down to his elbows.
I was curious how many of you have sights, smells, songs, tv shows, activities etc... that you no longer enjoy because all it reminds you of is your qualifier's drinking and the "bad ol' days" (that may even still be current days) ???? Hoping this will be an interesting thread!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah. I can't listen to certain music because it reminds me of AXH. I can't watch certain movies or TV series. I can't even stand the smell of whisky.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My first BF wasn't an alkie but he was an a-hole and totally screwed me over. My first experience of true heartbreak. He was a reggae music freak and to this day hearing it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just this morning I gave the thumbs down to an artist on Pandora because he was one of my ex's favorites when we were first together.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I swear I am going to have stomach twisting reaction every time I hear a freezer door open for the rest of my life.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
torquemax777

Oh wow about the freezer door! That would be hard to have something so daily and constant to remind you! Yuck! I guess changing the station is way more easier than avoiding all freezers!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am slowly getting over my fear of white vinegar and
if anyone calls me Honey Bunny even once, there is a good chance I will throw an axe at their head.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I still socially drink and have no problems with that or other people drinking but I never buy beer in a can. I'll have a mixed drink or buy something in a bottle. I should be so lucky to never hear that sound again. As crazy as it sounds I can tell the difference between opening a can of beer and a can of pop.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't eat country or baked ham, unless its the honey kind. My xabf used to freeze hams for Christmas, and when he'd go to thaw it he would put it in his disgusting bathtub for at least a whole day. The bathtub he has peed in, thrown up, god knows what else.

I'll pass on the ham, thanks.

Also...I can't drink whiskey. can't even handle the smell. and please, don't call me "toots", I will want to hit you
Old 10-03-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Maybe toots and honey bunny could get together for a nice ham and whisky
dinner.

MY x's beverage of choice was whisky as well.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
torquemax777

That's funny! :-)
Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sungrl View Post
Maybe toots and honey bunny could get together for a nice ham and whisky
dinner.

MY x's beverage of choice was whisky as well.
You girls are funny!!!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Certain films and music remind me of when my partner was drinking. And lemonade!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

haha sungrl, wouldn't that be a sight?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ice clinking in a glass w liquid
Old 10-03-2014, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I am out walking, I skip all this Grateful Dead music. That reminds me of him. How funny that I never thought about this before. Didnt even realize that I don't like listening to it.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blossom717 View Post
I can't eat country or baked ham, unless its the honey kind. My xabf used to freeze hams for Christmas, and when he'd go to thaw it he would put it in his disgusting bathtub for at least a whole day. The bathtub he has peed in, thrown up, god knows what else.

I'll pass on the ham, thanks.

Also...I can't drink whiskey. can't even handle the smell. and please, don't call me "toots", I will want to hit you
Oh man - that is the worst. Yuck Yuck Yuck.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The smell of "Sparks" I don't know if anyone else knows what they are, but they are these really disgusting malt beverages in a can. I used to have one every once in a while with AH, but now the smell, the taste, and the sight of the can is enough to give me anxiety, also a TAAKA vodka bottle.

But what really gives me major anxiety is the sound of AH's drunk voice. I can tell when he's had just a little, when nobody else can, and even when he's still pleasant and fine, but I can hear in his voice he has had one, I get extreme heebie-jeebies
Old 10-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thumper - he would take it to his family's Christmas dinner...I had to watch everyone eat it too lol. Except DD and I!
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

An unknown, local number calling on my cell phone sends me into a panic. (The last 2x that happened it was AH calling from the local jail/ an officer being "nice" by calling to let me know he'd been arrested)

Email alerts from my bank or credit card companies create panic even though it's been more than a year since RAH has had access to those accounts without my knowledge.

The statements for the bank, credit cards or monthly cell phone bills used to create so much anxiety that I switched everything to online stmts so that I won't ever have to open up my mailbox & see those envelopes inside. (I used to find out about a lot of his spending & phone habits after the fact when the statements would arrive.)

If I ever hear a Justin Bieber song off his 1st album I will cover my ears because DD listened to that album over & over again during the worst of AH's drinking phases & it made me SO SAD to think about the disparity between that young, in-love feeling we'd had & where we currently were.

Just the sight of a squarish-brown glass bottle a la Jaggermeister makes me cringe.