Notices

Starting to feel...off?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Starting to feel...off?

I am just going to vent. I am on day 5. My AV started on me yesterday. Only a little. I managed to work through it. But last night at work I was unbelievably stressed out for no reason at all. Yeah it was a little busy, yeah one of the girls were late causing me to be about 15 minutes behind all night. I guess that was my first bout with stress without the hangover cloud?
Anyway, I got very little sleep and I'm having a hard time finding anything to be positive about. I do my little gratitude post everyday and today I've got nothing. Even my dog is irritating to me today. I can say I'm grateful for something, but in my heart I'm just irritable.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is rough - a lot of us get hyper sensitive and irritable.
You really just have to work through that to get to the good stuff.

Try thinking about all the thinks you have to be grateful for - write a list if you need to?

It may annoy you to begin with, but it's a useful exercise for getting back your perspective

D
Old 10-03-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And now I'm even getting angry at this site. What is this thinking and how do I make it stop? I'm going to get all mad because no one commented immediately? How do I stop this feeling?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry d. We posted at the same time.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can you get to a meeting?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe. I haven't been to one in years and I got mad there too. It must be something about day 5 for me. I'm scared to go.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This too shall pass. Just remember what is going to happen if you pick up that drink. It will make everything worse and on top of that you will have the guilt of the relapse. Everyone has cranky days and we don't need booze to get over them.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I need a do over day. I think I am going to go back to bed and get up on the right side.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm super annoyed too. I posted about this yesterday. Serenity now!!!
(Sorry, that probably wasn't helpful, don't get mad at me!)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No that made me happy, lol! I think it's better to laugh at it.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it gets tough sometimes.... it can get pretty bad....

but then it gets better.

It gets a lot better.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am feeling 20 times better already. No need for a return to bed...yet
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi countrygirl2014! I am on day 4 and have been a terror to be around, it is getting better with each day but ughhhh.

Isn't it funny how that hangover cloud was somehow comforting?! I never had the energy to deal or process much else because I was either drinking/numbing or dealing with the hell of the hangover to just survive the rest didn't matter.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Early days are really tough, countrygirl. Hang in there; it will get better, I promise.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Countrygirl normally a ride on my motorcycle is at least a temporary cure for almost anything that's ailing me. The other day even my bike annoyed me: the wind, the traffic, every bump and crack in the road (what a great metaphor, ha). I thought, "Man, I'm in a state when the bike doesn't even cheer me up." Just thinking that helped a little, not sure why. Then something unexpected (and not really even all that funny) caught me by surprise and made me laugh later. After that release my outlook improved little by little. Hang in there! Here's hoping for an unexpected moment that makes you laugh today.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that recovery is never a straight line and ups and downs are inevitable. The thing to hold on to, is that these negative feelings will not last.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Countrygirl I was angry a lot! I had emotions I never knew possible! Things do get better.

I had to learn to cope - something very foreign to me. I exercised, tried breathing exercises, screamed into a pillow...you have to find something to release it but it does get better.

L x
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just as a physiology note: stress hormones (cortisol) peak in the early morning, usually around the time you awake. It's totally normal to wake up feeling stressed. If you can hang in there for a half hour, it seems to go away - take a shower, take a walk.

Then late in the afternoon it peaks again.

A good nutrition plan and regular moderate exercise will go a long way toward balancing your hormone levels (including cortisol).
Old 10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

ah yah the joyride of emotions, ain't it grand some days? ugh.
I wish I had some sage advice, but I don't. I just try to ride it out. I don't fight it anymore. If I'm angry, I allow it. If I'm sad, I allow. I really just let it process.

This past week has been a tough one. My BF wrote his car off Tuesday (he is AOK, little whiplash but ok)...this is 3 days after I had to pay $2400 to fix what I did in May. Um, ok yah that sucked. I'm not rich by any means and had saved for months to do that. GONE. may as well thrown it out the window.
Same day - his brother finds out he has an aggressive cancer. He was fine 3 weeks ago.
Oh ok - wonderful.
On top of those 2 craptastic "issues", there is work related poop that has drained the crap outta me. Just one of those weeks where you have to laugh. That's what I do.
I laugh and say "Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?!"
then carry on.
hang in - this too shall pass...
Old 10-03-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Restless, irritable, and discontent? I've been there!

Those feelings are totally normal for alcoholics who stop drinking.

One of the great things about AA in the beginning, for me, was that working on my recovery gave me something to do! It made me feel like I was being proactive. Reading the book, writing down how I could relate to it and the feelings, having someone to call who understood--it helped so very much! The less I sat around in my own crazy head, the better. In the beginning, my mind was not a fun place to be.

Most likely, the people in the meetings where you live will understand exactly where you are coming from. And believe it or not, you will be helping them by going to the meeting too.