Notices

New pill to reduce consumption by 61% w/counselling

Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

New pill to reduce consumption by 61% w/counselling

BBC News - Drug recommended to help cut drink dependence

Last edited by Dee74; 10-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Brand new pill to stop drinking

BBC News - Anti-alcohol pill set to be prescribed in England and Wales
Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Sober... Just saw it.. Not a magic bullet but hopefully a start.. Still can't understand why Baclofen isnt given more publicity!! That's the closest to a magic bullet & very cheap..
Old 10-02-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

As both your threads were really about the same thing, I merged them SW

I have no experience with Selincro/Nalmefene but I had a lot of trouble getting off Baclofen, Jezza (it was prescribed for another reason, long before I became a drinker)

that may be why it's not so widespread?

D
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I was just reading how bad withdrawl is with Baclofen Baclofen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you give an alcoholic a pill that will make them a social drinker, what's the first question an alcoholic is going to ask ??

"So ...one pill will make me social .....??"

I drank on antabuse, got all sick just as I was supposed to, then just drank right through it, till the nausea & vomiting abated & I was drunk.

Smart fella eh ?
Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's not antaabuse and its not meant to turn you into a social drinker......its too help cut down consumption

read again heres another piece on it http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...tion-nalmefene
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read the link so I know it isn't antabuse. I just don't think any pill, will stand much in the way of anyone who really wants to get drunk.

"its too help cut down consumption" .... isn't someone who consumes low amounts of alcohol a "social drinker"

I guess time will tell if this pill is effective. I should probably hold off on any assumptions.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like antabuse it's patient administered.
I think that's what you meant Hawks?

D
Old 10-03-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, good catch Dee, thanks. !!
Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I understand what hawks said but if this proves effective in helping people who find it hard to stop drinking (Alcoholics) then im all for it

Remember this is already helping a lit of ppl in scotland

and it is intended for those who want to be helped in early sobriety

think about this it could prove to help a lot of Alcoholics stay sober
Old 10-03-2014, 12:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I understand what hawks said but if this proves effective in helping people who find it hard to stop drinking (Alcoholics) then im all for it

Remember this is already helping a lit of ppl in scotland

and it is intended for those who want to be helped in early sobriety

think about this it could prove to help a lot of Alcoholics stay sober
I'm not sure it will help too many "full blown" alcoholics

BUT, the real promise of this pill (on further thought), to me, is that by reducing consumption, it could nip alcoholism in the bud before it goes full blown.

Many potential alcoholics could be saved the agony each of us three had to endure.

Wouldn't that be a marvellous thing ?
Old 10-03-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I feel like the Grinch trampling over your enthusiasm SW, but this is gonna be one of those rare times when we disagree a little...

If it helps drinkers out there to cut back, that's great...I've seen a lot of these pills come and go, but I hope that proves to be the case here...

but alcoholism is a little more than that, I think?

I never had much in the way of physical cravings, but the mental gymnastics were unreal.

I'm not sure you can deal with that with a pill. I'll remain to be convinced on that one.

The other concern I have is it has the same problem I see that antabuse has - if you want to drink, you just don't take the pill....

D
Old 10-03-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Only time will tell if this works i really hope it does

Hawks if a full blown alcoholic decides to stop drinking, this pill will help them and i totally agree with the other thing you said 'nipping it in the bud'

this is good news
Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

I dont believe there is a cure for alcoholism but it says with councilling so meaning you must want to stop drinking in order for it to be effective

for example, sombody on day 4 feels like relapsing ? with this pill it might and i say might ... help

is it not worth a chance if its having sucess in my native scotland

im going to make phonecalls to my extended family as some may be on this and would be great to hear first hand experiences if it helps but the fact its getting media attention means it must be getting some results especially in scotland ?
Old 10-03-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmmm, it says it dampens the effects of alcohol. How is that gonna make me cut back?

To me the whole reason for drinking was for the buzz.

Same reason I didn't drink low alcohol beverages. Boring.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A pill for when you feel sad, or too happy, or nervous, or... Whatever. I agree that alcohol is more of a mental issue, like Dee my cravings weren't physicAl but the mental gymnastics my AV performs, it might as well be on the Olympics. If it helps, that's great but I am really weary of pills and chemicals in my body.

Hope it helps, but I wouldn't want it specially since it only "dampers" the effects. Like PP, I think it would make me drink more because what I wanted is that strong buzz.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with Croissant:
To me the whole reason for drinking was for the buzz.
I have no desire to drink a few, I want to drink alot and at the end of the night I want to be drunk.

I hope this can help some people but I KNOW that abstinence has to be my future
Old 10-03-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

Nalmefene/Selincro (an opioid receptor antagonist) has been around for about forty years whereas naltrexone/Vivitrol, a drug that produces the same therapeutic effect and has a similar chemical composition, has been available for about fifty years.

Very often medications that have been around for a while and have faded into disuse, often due to an absence of efficacy, are "re-discovered" or re-marketed for financial gain, because the target population has gotten increasing publicity, because nothing new has come along to replace it or because it is made available to an increasing number of people who suffer from the affliction of interest.

According to the article, "Nearly 600,000 people will be eligible to receive the nalmefene tablet to keep their cravings at bay." It appears that the drug was not readily available previously to those who needed it, that it was under-prescribed or that doctors in the UK were not widely familiar with the drug. It's also possible that the drug was not previously approved by the MHRA.

Both drugs "work" by not delivering the pleasurable feelings that come with drinking alcohol. Prescribing physicians recommend that patients continue to drink until they no longer want to drink due to a repetitive extinction of the pleasurable effects. From what I know, many (most?) people who use this treatment soon tire of not getting the expected effects, and then stop taking the drug.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
EndGame

I imagine that the problem with drugs like Selincro and Vivtrol is not that they don't deliver an inhibition of pleasurable effects as advertised, but that we who struggle with alcohol generally don't drink because we have an irresistible desire for the taste of our DOC. Instead, we drink to experience the effect that it produces.

Selincro and Vivitrol essentially inhibit cravings only after you start drinking, but not before. These drugs have great potential and offer dramatic promises, but the human element typically overrides any real and lasting clinical effect. If, for example, I take Antabuse, but I've changed nothing else in my life, and I still want to drink or I continue to have intense cravings, then I either stop taking the drug or I drink with Antabuse in my system at my own great peril.